full draft results

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jedi mind tricks, Apr 29, 2017.

1. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

With an improved secondary it will give Wilkerson and Leo a chance to have 10+ sack seasons. Jordan Jenkins and Mauldin just need to step it up. Lee I think will make a big jump. His coverage wasn't aweful he's jut got to turn his head and get his hands on the ball he was always right on his guy. I think we see Pryor playing a lot of linebacker on passing downs.

I actually really liked this draft. Two stud safety's that are interchangeable and very dynamic. Need Claiborne to be healthy but that's wishful thinking. Burris to take that next step and Busta Skrine back to nickle. The defense is pretty close to being great again, just depends on player development and having that big time pass rusher, I wanted Carl Lawson late.

All Gas No Shake, NCJetsfan and Vida like this.
  3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth (Not much) Walterfootball loved the Jets draft.

Considering I feel like he always crushes them, it's a little reassuring. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

not a bad draft but without a franchise QB we are just trading water (like most teams in the NFL) - I would like to see some rule changes to make it a less pass happy league as it really is a two tier league now - if you dont have a top 10 QB you might as well not even bother suiting up is how it seems to be.

westiedog1 and dogg like this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

If they ended up with Adams, Cook, Stewart, Butt, and Hansen it would have been an A+

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think this is the most satisfied I've been coming out of a draft in a years. We made a lot of safe picks, sure, but we may have solidified the safety position for the next 7-10 years with these guys. Maye is a baller, no two ways about it. I don't think I even need to talk about Adams. Chad Hansen will surprise and Stewart should, at the very least, be useful in the return game. Leggett has potential, but I don't see him being much more than a serviceable starting TE in the future. ASF has more potential. We'll see how the rest of them work out, but man am I excited to see Adams and Maye lined up next to each other. High character leaders who are sure tacklers and solid in the secondary. This also allows us to use Pryor in a hybrid role similar to Deone Buchanan if we don't trade him.

Wonder if Richardson is on his way out or not.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I had higher hopes, even discounting the QB I think they should've taken and didn't. The biggest miss was not getting a good pass rusher. To me that second Safety should've been replaced by the best pass rusher available - putting pressure on the QB makes a big difference in the pass coverage. Passing on Cook? I get that he had outside issues, and maybe Macc didn't want his "unsavory" character, but what a difference he might've made to a young QB! So, ok, you skip Cook, but another good RB would've been a big help and insurance if Forte or Powell get hurt. Again, it looks like the "D" has been favored at the expense of the "O", notwithstanding the picks of Stewart, Leggett, Hansen, and MacGuire, who hopefully will all make the team and contribute in significant ways, but there are no sure game-changers there, which -short of a top QB - is what the offense needed. This has been the pattern for years now: draft "D" high, and "O low, and what has that accomplished?

It seems like a C+ draft pending how the later picks turn out, which might push it to a B. But if those "O" picks don't pan out, they'll be right be where they started - above average D", lousy "O".

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Outside of JA which was a fine pick this draft is an absolute dumpster fire...no offensive playmakers, no linemen, no QB...took a couple corners that nobody's ever heard of. a tight end that can't block his way out of a paper bag; but he's better than either receiver we took so there's that. Our pass rusher is 45 years old. I'm completely dumbfounded

9. Vida

Vida Active Member

Without a QB what chance has the O got anyway? They've solidified the D this draft, getting two safeties who could hold down that position for a number of years. They'll suck this year and hopefully draft a top tier QB next draft with some lineman for protection so he doesn't get fed to the wolves like Luck. Then you can start adding Offensive skill positions and filling gaps in the two or three drafts after that.

Otherwise you'll just be plugging one leak in the boat while two more spring up. Get the D right first and stop the leaks and then start working on the repairs to get that boat moving again.

We probably could've selected Butt over Hansen, Hansen may have still been there at our next pick anyway. We did select a project RB, 2 WR and a TE so it's not like we neglected the O altogether. But we used our best picks on S a position we were one of the worst in the league last year. The two CB we picked I don't mind either. They're late round speculative picks but there does seem there's something to work with there reading their draft profiles.

#29 Vida, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

1) Jamal Adams, S- A+
    ---No question the Jets came out with the best player in this draft...he's like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry type good. He'll make an immediate impact and I feel he will end the days of having ridiculous errors in the back end of our secondary, at least not ergregious ones like last year.

2) Marcus Maye, S- B
    ---Another safety knocks this down a peg but it seems this is a warning to Pryor. He'll be what Pryor SHOULD have been already, a in the box safety. While Maye can play a CF, he plays better downfield...and he's a much better tackler...it almost leads me to believe if he will be partially a LB as well....he sheds blocks well and is a sure tackler...and can cover as well...we will see.

3) ArDavious Stewart, WR- A
    ---I mean this guy is HOSS. Him and Enuwma is a solid 1-2 punch for the future, he's strong...plays up over his 205 lb frame...and supposedly a GREAT fit for the west coast offense from all accounts. Also is an adept blocker...he's like Enumwa.

4) Chad Hansen, WR- B
    ---Hansen is good, productive at Cal and was their go to guy. It's interesting, he's not a burner, but he just makes plays...he almost makes me wanna see if he can become Adam Theilen part deux...if you want to have a comparison for comparison sakes...not saying he can become that but it's just what he reminds me of.

5) Jordan Leggett, TE- B
    ---Leggett looks like a stud but not sure he will become one. He's a solid dude but he shows flashes that he maybe can become a stud TE..I'm not so sure but he should help. He's athletic and agile and can become a matchup problem because he's smooth out there. He should help in the new Jets offense but needs some polish surely.

6) Dylan Donahue, Edge- D
    ---I just don't see it here, he's an edge guy, but not sure what he can do to help the Jets pass rush...if he overachieves he can make the team, I doubt it though...maybe PS fodder, or a guy who can work his ass off to become a ST type.

7) Elijah McGuire, RB- C
    ---Kid has great hands and has some damn good quickness and agility...he's not gonna be bowling people over or be a between the tackles type of guy...he won't be Powell, maybe a 3rd down type back.

8) Jeremy Clark, CB- B+
    ---Hey he's from Michigan so he knows how to play defense. His size REALLY intrigues me, maybe a very good press corner...hopefully he can fully recover from the knee injury.

9) Derrick Jones, CB- B
    ---it looks like we know by now the Jets want big physical corners for the scheme. Burris is 6'1", 210, Jones is a bit taller but skinnier...kinda new to the position, maybe someone who can help next year or two...

Catfish Billy, NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, and if nothing else, I'm resigned to it, but here's the thing:

"Get the D right first and stop the leaks and then start working on the repairs to get that boat moving again."

WHEN?

The Jets have done this recipe and they NEVER seem to get to the "get the boat moving" part. They came close with Sanchez, but they never gave him all the supporting cast he needed (He was never going to be able to carry a team on his back like Brady, Manning, Elway, Favre, et al.), and then they let the talent they did have slide away and didn't replace it with equal or better players. And after 50+ years of waiting, this gets OLD! Maybe to those fans who haven't rooted for them for so long, you can say "Be patient. It takes time", and I know that, but damn it, when will they ever get it right? Maye might turn out to be great, and he and Adams may be the best 1-2 tandem in history, but I gotta tell you, I felt sick to my stomach when they called another Safety out. And again, the picks they made on offense - as they've done for YEARS now - are almost like afterthoughts, like "Okay, we've taken care of the important positions, I guess we ought to see what scraps we can pick up for the offense".

I hope - as I do every year - that things work out, but if you've been a Jets fan for more than 20 years, you know that they almost never do.

Vida and westiedog1 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right, taking Cook in the 2nd round would have been a brain dead move (or like Mac had no brains). His character is not what Mac and Bowles want on this team and I applaud that. You guys who don't care about character should go root for the Raiders, Bengals or any number of teams.

What do you base your grades on? Not one of them has stepped foot on the field for the Jets yet.

Donohue will probably be a STs player and perhaps designated pass rusher.

RuJFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I'm disappointed that we didn't get a top quality OLB prospect or improve depth, but we couldn't get everything in this draft.

OLBs usually take a year or two to develop. I think that Jenkins is gonna be solid vs the run and apply some pressure on one side. Hopefully, Greene can get something out of Mauldin, Corey Lemonier, and the others on the other. If not, that will be something to seek to address next season.

Harris can't cover and has limited range, but he is still a solid tackler and leader in the LB unit. Lee improved as the year went on.

14. NCJetsfan

Here, fixed that for you.

RuJFan likes this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I could honestly care less about character. I don't want a team full of thugs, but one or two never hurt anyone. If Mixon or Cook light up the league I will be wishing they were on the Jets. I want what will help us win. Cook would add a dynamic element to this team and we blatantly passed on him.

Completely nixing guys entirely for character concerns is ridiculous if all you do is vomit BPA. BPA. BPA.

Uhh.... my grades are based on the value and my own opinion. What do you think NFL, ESPN, CBS, etc. base their draft grades off of? Since none of the guys have played, so there should be no such thing as draft grades?

westiedog1 and JetsNation06 like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think Donahue will be a big contributer on special teams. Someone who can play in sub packages . For a 6th rounder , that's really about all we can ask. Anything more is a bonus.

17. NCJetsfan

18. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Yeah, not drafting a very questionable guy that most other teams didn't want or even have on their draft board and a guy with two knee surgeries would definitely reduce my grade. :eek:

19. JBurnz

JBurnz New Member

Yo I went too High School with Brisly Estime, so dope.

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah so many teams didn't want Cook that he went in the 2nd round.

#40 JetsNation06, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017