Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Go to the 4:20 mark in the video. Listen to Jay Gruden give his "ringing" endorsement of soon to be free agent, Kirk Cousins. That interview coming right after their season ending loss to Eli Manning and the injury riddled 2 win Giants. One in which Kirky three 3 int's.

I'm going on record, if the Jets pin their championship hopes to Kirk Cousins it will be a colossal mistake.

#101 playtowinthegame, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I don’t put a lot of stock into Gruden’s opinion. He’s not that good of a coach.

3. playtowinthegame

He's done more with less. Bowles would have gone 0-16 with the injuries Washington had.

BomberJet and abc like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t think the idea behind Cousins is he’s the missing piece to a championship but we have to be good, at least, before we will be great.

Let’s say we end up drafting Darnold or Mayfield. Darnold definitely ain’t ready to play year one; he’s the epitome of projected talent. And Mayfield could use some bench time as well.

Cousins is not a bad signing to bridge the gap. He can get you good, then turn it over to the Darnold or Mayfield to take you over the finish line.

5. playtowinthegame

We don't need to buy that expensive of a bridge to be the kind of good Cousins will deliver. Personally I would prefer Teddy be our Bridgewater. See what I did there. Lol

6. Cousins as a bridge QB w the immediate drafting of the long term answer trailing I could get behind.That said we really wanna pay Cousins franchise $ to be a bridge QB? Is Cousins gonna be willing to come here as a bridge QB?

These are important questions that I think we already know the answer to

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I would think Arizona and Denver would be at the top of the list for Cousins right now.

If I were Cousins, I'd take either of those options over the Jets, even for less money. Winning is a lot less stressful than losing.

A few things could change after the playoffs to bring in even more competition, though. Is Alex Smith staying with KC? Maybe the Bengals new coach wants to move on from Dalton? Maybe the Saints win it all and Brees decides to retire? I understand all the Vikings QBs will be FAs this off season, so they could dump them all and jump on Cousins.

abc likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Marvin Lewis is staying with the Bengals, news broke yesterday.

I think Brees will sign an extension with the Saints after they make a nice run in the playoffs.

I think the Vikins may be a real legitimate spot for Cousins because they have the cap space to make it work.

Arizona with no Bruce Arians doesn't look like a great spot now and Denver, does not have the cap space to realistically sign Cousins and field a similarly competitive team. They would need to cut Bradley Roby, Aqib Talib, CJ Anderson to create an additional 20+ mil in cap, which would leave massive holes on their roster.

KC is going to be all in on their draft pick - Patrick Mahomes.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I think Jacksonville is our main competition for Cousins services. They’re only 16 mil under the cap but if the cut Blake they gain another 19mil

Denver will also be in the running over the cap shows them having 24mil available but we all know with a few cuts you can increase that number

Both teams are more attractive than ours , we are going to have to over pay

10. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Just say NO to Cousins :/

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Gruden just did the OPPOSITE of Rex with Revis. You talk down your player. You have to pay them a lot. This helps with negotiations. At least a little bit.

And guys, do you even watch the games? Cousins carried the team to (7-9) just as he carried them in 2016 and 2015. The Redskins are a bad team. I don't think Cousins is close to elite like Aaron Rodgers, but he is in the tier after that. Much better than Josh McCown, Bryce Petty, and Hack combined.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Dorsey's too good a talent evaluator and too smart to sign Cousins. He will draft the Browns FQB and put his stamp on the franchise. If the Browns are smart, they'll give Dorsey carte blanche with running the team and will be patient. They didn't get in the mess they are in overnight, and it isn't going to be fixed in a season or two. That said, I hope that they will be stupid and fire him after this season or next. Maybe by then, Chris Johnson will have wised up and will hire Dorsey as the Jets' Team President GM, or wise up in a different way and fired Bowles and Mac, and hired Dorsey as GM, and allow him to hire the new HC and run the team.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cousins isn't gonna sign to be a bridge QB. He's gonna demand a long-term (at least 4 years contract). Signing Cousins and the drafting of a long term answer at QB are mutually exclusive imo.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cousins is too good to be a bridge QB. He's top 10 in a lot of categories, you don't bring in a top 10-12 QB in the league as a holdover.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Dorsey was instrumental in making the chiefs what they are right now. The Browns would be committing a huge mistake getting rid of him

16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

What is Washington going to do at QB if they let Cousins walk?

17. I think your right. Which is exactly why I don’t want him.Hes not a franchise level Qb but wants to be paid & treated like one.

There will be plenty of other cheaper options in FA that have some upside & wont prevent us from drafting the long term answer

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You also won't know that you'll even have the opportunity to draft a longterm answer. You can't just assume that a.) one will be there or b.) you'll find a trade up partner. This is why my far and away most preferable option is to sign Cousins and use all your picks elsewhere. You can get a very solid 3-4 years out of Cousins, be competitive and still build.

19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

the sarcasm face is needed a lot here ----->:rolleyes:

20. We are at #6 in a Top heavy QB class w at least 2 cleacut Landing spots ahead of us for a potential trade & ample ammunition for compensation.If we can’t figure out how to get our guy or at least one of our guys..then no QB or any player for that matter can save this franchise

NCJetsfan likes this.