Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Two negatives in the first sentence makes that a positive statement... get rid of one of them & I'll agree with you. :)

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the "not" in the first...
    It's getting late and my eyes are crossin. Lol

abc likes this.
  3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

ASJ needs some stick em sprayed on his gloves

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

tbf he was fine until the patriots cheat call and then his season seemed to go topsy turvy for what ever reason.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It was a real crazy spiral and I can't figure out why it happened. We did service go away from him a little bit in the passing game but Kearse and Anderson were both putting up numbers so it's not like it killed us. He also had a TD called back on a terrible OPI against Buffalo, that was the straw I think.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yeah two bad calls imo, not enough evidence to overturn on field decision, but what is more worrying is the look of increasing weight around the face area, no doubt he will have put weight on elsewhere as well, these crazy decisions can turn a man with a problem back to the darker side of life, fingers crossed he stays dry for the rest of his life.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I was listening to Mike Francesa's replacement on WFAN yesterday I think it was Jodie Mac a caller mentioned that Aaron Donald is a UFA. Normally I don't like undersized DL but I think he's the real deal.

If the Jets could ever get him away from St. Louis whoo boy.

BomberJet and pib01 like this.
  8. abc

abc Well-Known Member

He is Great, I just don't see him coming @ a reasonable price... also if we're able to get Richardson back maybe he'll live up to his draft position.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Eff Sheldon Richardson and his two sacks the past two seasons.

The Jets have mountains of cap space if they're gonna overpay Aaron Donald is the type of player to overpay.

I find it hard to believe the Rams will let him leave but maaaaan with this much cap space I'm daring to dream. The Jets can afford him.

And they can afford Luck too.

Easily.

almbleamal likes this.
  10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

DeMarcus "Tank" Lawrence would be a nice addition. He'll probably get the franchise tag though.

FJF likes this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Minus Cousins, I think it works money-wise. Not sure NYJ is an attractive landing spot for FAs though.

Also, the team has a new mantra to build through the draft. Not sure how many Big name FAs they will want.

I think Joeckel and one of the pass rushers makes sense.

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ansah may be a good addition.

abc likes this.
  13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Davante Adams and Corey Linsley both signed extensions with the packers.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I am totally Ok with paying a guy like Cousins that amount. He's young enough that he's in his prime and over the next 3-4 years should maintain his current level, AND he's proven that he can play. For me, the sample size is big enough to go all in for him. He will easily make guys like Anderson, Quincy and Kearse much, much better than what they are now, which is pretty damned good considering the current circumstances. Throw ASJ into the mix and that's a very balanced offensive unit. If, and I know it's a big if, they could draft Saquon to go along with Powell then they would really have something special with Cousins under center...

FJF likes this.
  15. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I love the thought of bringing in Cousins. I’d make him the highest paid QB and not look back. Like u said he’s in his prime & he’ll make everyone around him better. It’ll be like when SD let Breese walk, look at what one man did for New Orleans.

With that said I’d then draft one of the edge guys. Maybe trade up to 3 for Chubb, but who I really like is Arden Key. I know there are a few red flags with him but he’s the pure edge rusher in the draft. He would make our defense much better

almbleamal likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Mac says they'll be very active in free agency. On paper, I like his stated approach of building a team to win into the future rather than all in now.
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/jets_will_be_very_active_in_free_agency_this_offse.html

My hope is they continue to build through the draft and focus on development of their own young players. For example, I like this group of receivers. I'd prefer them not to break the bank for Allen Robinson, but stick with Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse and let Stewart and Hansen play and develop more. IMO this is a good group that should be better next year.

I do hope they go big at CB (i.e. Malcolm Butler, Trumaine Johnson, Rashaan Melvin) and C (Weston Richburg?) with young, foundational pieces.

I hope they use the draft to: get a franchise QB, get another RB, get more talent at OG and OT, a pass-rusher, and another young CB

K'OB likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

If they can walk out of free agency with Ansah, Cousins and Allen Robinson... that's a complete homerun. Probably very unlikely, but we have the checkbook to do it.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Here is my look at some of our position groups and my logic towards some free agent targets:

Our single biggest hole is at the center position. While Weston Richburg OC Giants (26) says he wants to return to the Giants he was upset that they put him on IR and he felt he was healthy enough to play the last couple games. At 26 years of age, Richburg could anchor our offensive line for the next decade.

While our guards are the strength of our offensive line. Carpenter is north of 30 years old and has only one year left on his contract. Brian Winters has played much better than he did as a rookie but when he got injured, not only was Dakota Dozier unready to step in but is also a free agent leaving us with zero depth at guard. The solution is to get Andrew Norell OG Panthers (26). While this will be overkill for 2018 it gives us time to find depth for when we let Carpenter walk later.

While the Jets might draft another tackle to replace Ijala, they pass on this year's weak free agent crop and ride with their current tackles. The improved play inside allows the Jets more time to address the tackle positions later.

While I think we go after the big targets like Cousins and Garrapolo I don't want us to be the team that overpays someone that will be set up to fail here. I think we could do worse than settling for Case Keenum QB Vikings (30) assuming that his current team prefers Bradford or Bridgewater. While I am sure he would prefer to start let's say Josh McNown (31) comes back for one more year.

After locking up Robbie Anderson the Jets have their deep threat. Quincy Enuwa, Charone Peake and other s will be back from injury to add competition. They young guys might continue to step up but we didn't really scare anyone this year. Taking a flier on Allen Robinson WR Jaguars (26) will help the Jets to move the chains. If the price is right we might also want to bring Donte Montcrief WR Colts (24) into camp.

Much like tackle, the Jets can bring their current RBs into camp. If they find something good in the draft they could cut one or two loose to save money.

I think these additions would make our offense much more dangerous without breaking the bank. It would also give us more flexibility in the draft allowing us two years to address the RB, LT, and RT positions.

I will do a post on defense later.

20. BroadwayAaron

We need a McGown/McGowan/McNown counter.

Also, Allen Robinson would transform this O immediately even if it's McCown playing another year while we wait for a QB to develop. But imagine signing Cousins and Robinson? That's one of the biggest offensive upgrades I can remember for this team.

pib01 likes this.