Free Agency Targets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 28, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wouldn’t, how much is he benefiting from being in the south and indoors at this point in his career? Doesn’t seem like the right fit for here.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Solder's a toptnotch player, but there's no way I'd give him a ton of money at his age. They've already done that with a lesser player in Beachum. At his age, his play could start deteriorating rapidly. Without NE's OL coach, Solder may not play as well or he may not play as well in the Jets' blocking schemes. It doesn't solve anything to sign Solder, have a big chunk taken up by the two older OTs, and then have to replace them both within a year or two.

If they had their QB in place and the team was ready to seriously compete except for their LT, it would make a lot of sense to sign Solder. The Jets are still rebuilding. They might make the playoffs next season, but it's doubtful, especially if they have a rookie QB or McCown. It wouldn't make sense to sign Cousins and Solder and go all in on next season, either. They need to complete the rebuild the right way. Now is not the time to be impatient or to try to rush things. We can see what trying to rush things this year and starting McCown instead of Petty has accomplished. It could very have well have cost us the chance to get our FQB. If we bring in Solder and Cousins, it would most certainly cost us the chance to get our FQB, stud edge rusher or LT of the future in the 2019 draft.

Just like at QB, the Jets need to draft and develop their new LT.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Are you saying Brees is not a good quarterback unless he plays inside a dome?

4. FJF

5. FJF

I’m saying he is a better qb in the dome and at 39 I wouldn’t want him up here in the northeast. You’re going to bring up Brady but Brady has been in it his whole career.

6. playtowinthegame

I don't think Brees playing in an outdoor stadium in the northeast would change the quality of quarterback he is. We really don't get that bad of weather up here until January. I think if the Jets beefed up the o-line and upgraded running back Brees would still shatter at least 2 single season Jets records in just one season: yards(4,007) and tds (31). Like I said earlier, I don't believe he will leave New Orleans, but if for some reason he does and we don't have a veteran answer at quarterback before the draft, then I would rather make a run at him than McCown or some other jag qb. When the music stops lets not be looking at McCown again. Lol

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I don't think Barkley makes it past the Browns or Giants TBH. If he is there at 6, and we have a guy like Kirk signed already, no-brainer you take him.

Consider me geeked :D

9. FJF

Whether we have cousins signed or not, unless Rosen or darnold are there you take Barkley if he is there at 6.

10. playtowinthegame

11. FJF

Until it’s not possible,cousins is priority 1.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Doesn't mean the Jets should blow their entire wad though! Gotta be careful in FA. The Giants haven't done anything remotely positive after spending all of that money.

14. FJF

I know that’s a popular thought and probably a chalk bet, but minka Fitzpatrick,3qbs,chubbs and Williams or brown are all potential top 5 picks.
    I can see
    2 qbs 1&2
    3. Chubbs or a tackle
    4. Chubs Tackle or Fitzpatrick
    5 qb
    All needs for those teams and worth the picks.

15. ColoradoContrails

It certainly could turn out that way, but I think the Jets have to be proactive and take the player they think can be most transformative and not just settle for BPA. If they don't get their QB in FA, they need to do whatever they can to trade up and get their guy. If they've signed their QB, then trade up and get Barkley if possible, thus transforming the offense completely. Of course "Man plans and god laughs" so they have to be prepared to go in a different direction, but I really want to see a vision for this team and for Macc to work towards that instead of just passively accepting whatever BPA falls into his lap.

16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It would go against the youth movement but if you are over 40 and want to see a Jets SB win in your lifetime I think Brees is out best bet.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I think the realistic Brees/Jets window closed 2 seasons ago when those articles surfaced for about a week.

18. FJF

See, I don’t see a qb or anyone worth trading up for 7 I wouldn’t mind having at 6 though. Mac needs to be aggressive in free agency so that he isn’t working in desperation come draft time. I can’t subscribe to the qb or bust line of thinking in this draft

19. playtowinthegame

Hopefully not priority 1 to Mike Maccagnan. Kirk Cousins is by FAR the most overrated free agent this off-season. That game Kirk Cousins had against the injury riddled Giants at MetLife in the last game of the season is the quarterback you want the Jets to make the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. He's a primetime choker who has never been special in this league, and he's about to turn 30. I hope the Jets front office doesn't value him. I want to see the Jets build a champion, and I don't ever see a team winning a championship because Kirk Cousins is their quarterback.

#399 playtowinthegame, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  20. ColoradoContrails

I agree it can't be "QB or bust", but it has to be "Do everything you can to get one until the return doesn't warrant it". QB is the single biggest thing they can do to build a successful team, and until they fill that spot they won't be successful. I will grudgingly accept it if they have to take a pass rusher or OL first instead of a QB or Barkley, but I just don't have faith that Macc can put the right pieces together. But we fans are on the position of those who climbed into the roller coaster car and we can't get out until the ride is over.