Free Agency shopping list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

totally agree regarding the value moves.
    i'm all for signing a top guy or two as well, to be clear. but that would probably be about it. we're going to need some good contributors and reasonable cost.

Shorts fits that bill. Franklin also fits that bill, although i like Iupati and might be willing to spend there. would be happy with either.

Cumberland is flat out terrible and should be cut.
    Charles Clay would be an excellent choice, as others have pointed out. i don't trust Amaro blocking, and Clay can do a little of everything while providing another threat.
    wouldn't even mind nabbing Spaeth on the cheap in addition.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Brian Baluga
    Clint Boling
    Kareem Jackson
    Jason Worilds

NCJetsfan and Turbocharged23 like this.
  3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is the kind of stuff great GMs are made of,finding these players on the upswing that aren't going to command the big $ just yet.
    I'm more excited to see some of these lesser FA's and later round draft picks we bring in to see what kind of guy Macagnan really is as far as talent evaluation.

I'd love to have McCoy and Vreen over Spiller for the injury issues.
    I want a big time TE to pair with Amaro

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Cheaper yes but better is less likely.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I would like

- CJ Spiller
    - Orlando Franklin or Mike Iupati
    - one CB whether it be Jackson, Cromartie, Skrine or a Revis reunion.
    - one receiver like Crabtree or Shorts, if by some divine intervention Denver lets Thomas test the market I would sign him.

I like the idea of drafting a receiver also, so signing a FA WR isn't a priority, same goes for RB if Spiller can not be had.

6. James Hasty

For all of those who want Iupati or Franklin I think I have a cheaper option that can be as good or better than those guys as he continues to develop.

Stefen Wisniewski is free agent center that played for the Raiders last year. He is only 25 years old coming off of his rookie contract. He was a second round pick for the Raiders making the all rookie team and earned rookie of the week honors in his first year. He has started 45 games.

I think he would do just fine at guard and could kick inside to center if Mangold gets hurt or retires in the future.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  7. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franklin in Buffalo simply because of its proximity to us in Toronto. I hate the Bills but I would make the 1 and a half hour drive down to watch a guy I played with (Charles) and a guy I had heard of playing before me

8. James Hasty

One players that I suggested was Stefen Wisnewski the starting center for the Raiders last year.

A recent article says that he is asking for $3 mil per year and the Raiders are trying to low ball him. Seems to be a much cheaper option to upgrade one of our guard positions than alternatives that could cost $5-8 mil per year. Wherever he goes Iupati is going to get a huge contract.

Here is the link:

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/...d-level-center-salary-oakland-raiders-balking

9. James Hasty

Bills just signed Richie Incognito.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Am i bad for hoping Milliner, McDougle, and that other DB that mysteriously appeared on the Jets roster last season all show up healthy and form a fearsome threesome? (haha i said threesome) That would leave the only holes at FS & OLB. Lets trade down and pick up the next Troy Palamalu and Lawrence Taylor. DOIT!

(can tell i don't have much hope for free agency?)

11. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

RB - Roy Helu or Shane Vereen. Both are great catching ball out of backfield, will cost same as Spiller and are more durable. $3-4 per year.

TE - Virgil Green (backup in Denver). Can block very well as he helped reinvigorate running game for CJ Anderson. He can also catch well. Or Spaeth after we Cumberland.

WR - Shorts or Demaryius Thomas in lieu of Harvin.

OLB - Orakpo or Acho.

FS - Antrel Rolle on 2 year deal

CB - Byron maxwell long term or Cromartie on a 1 year deal as we figure out Millner/McDougal and Marcus Williams

Guard - Boling

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. James Hasty

People need to understand how good Cromartie played last year in Arizona.

We don't need to pay him $11 mil like before but if anyone thinks he will sign a 1 year deal or that we can get him for less than $5 mil per year is kidding themselves.

Antonio Cromartie is a #1 corner on almost any team in the league.

#52 James Hasty, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whatever the Jets do they shouldn't force free agency this year. Signing a guy coming off his first contract when his current team has decided he's not a core player rarely works out. He just becomes a non-core player on your team and prevents you from developing core players in the process.

Calvin Pace would be the perfect example here. The Cardinals let him go because he wasn't a core player and the Jets pounced on him at top of market for him and then wound up with a good but overpaid player for SIX seasons. That's how you ding up your cap and always fall short of your goals.

Jason Worilds is the Calvin Pace of 2015.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

My guess is that Iupati and Franklin will be on different levels of pay (we'll see what really happens in a month). Iupati has been named to three straight Pro Bowls and also has All-Pro on his resume while Franklin has none of that. I'd guess Iupati will in that Mankins/Levtire/Grubbs range of at least 7.5M/yr. Even Franklin's teammate and former LG Zane Beadles, who had a Pro Bowl on his resume, got only 6M/year. I'm going to guess Franklin comes closer to that price or less.

But I didn't even consider Wisniewski, who I now see played LG as a rookie... And I now also see he's apparently seeking about 3M/year, which is surprisingly low. I guess it will come to down to who the Jets feel is a better fit for them (if either) and if Orlando Franklin is ~3M/year better than Wisniewski. Franklin has the versatility to play OT as well, which could also come in handy given this team's needs. I wonder why Oakland wouldn't want to resign him if he's seeking just 3M/year... Seems like a fair price for a versatile young player on a team with the 2nd most cap space in the league. That's a question I'd have

Interesting name

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Get Mo locked up, show potential FA's that we take care of our own.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL James. I don't think you meant to say receiver, as he would not be the number one receiver on any team, except perhaps the Jets. But point well taken, he certainly will command more than people think as a solid 1 or 2 CB

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Absolutely. When he signed for 1yr and 3.5/4M in 2014, he was coming off of a terrible season. Now he's coming off of a very good one. Given his age, seeming desire to play in NY/with Bowles, and the strong season he's coming off of, I'll ballpark 3yr/18M.

Side note: for people who want info on contracts and salaries for all players, check out overthecap.com... Great resource

18. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

They should call literally everyone who is either a star or fits their system well. If they can't get the star then have a viable "Plan B" guy to call. Wouldn't hurt to have a Plan C either. We don't want to be a position like last year and there weren't any conerbacks left to call because Idzik was a cheap ass and tried to wait for a good, but cheap cornerback to fall out of the sky.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I do not watch Arizona games. The Jetsblog just had a bit about Cromartie. Apparently he had a very good first half, and a pretty crappy second half. I already don't want him, but if this is true, I don't want him even more. We have to have some consistency on the outside.

20. James Hasty

Fixed it

I meant corner even though he may have been the best WR on our team two year ago.

LAJet likes this.