Fournette vs Cook

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Fournette vs Cook

1. Fournette

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Cook

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

youre acting like this just happened. mixon was suspended for his entire freshman season and has apparently been a model citizen in the 2+ years since

there are several backs in this draft with stud potential ... in addition to fournette, cook and mixon, theres mccafery, donte foreman, alvin kamara, curtis samuel, kareem hunt, samaje perine and im sure that im leaving out a couple more

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Go back and watch Fournett vs Florida when the SEC title game was on the line for LSU and then watch Cook vs the same Florida team a week later with nothing on the line for FSU other than pride and tell me who you would take. Cook or Fournett.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

#63 ColoradoContrails, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

5. ColoradoContrails

Sorry about that. Fixed it.

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Really it depends on the offense we run.

7. ColoradoContrails

If you draft one of these guys, I'd say that dictates which offense you run. Then again, it IS the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NOVAJET

To an extent. If the new OC has a system he wants to run I can't see him catering it to a specific player but I could be wrong.
    If I am a new OC I have had a schematic system I have thought about running for years and can't imagine I would alter that system for one RB when the other fits perfectly. I guess if you beleive Fournette is the answer you would tweak it but if it fits Cook perfectly why not draft him.

9. ColoradoContrails

According to the scouting report I posted, Fournette can catch the ball, and is supposedly a better blocker than Cook. I wouldn't cry if they took Cook, but I think Fournette is a beast. I think forcing a system on your personnel, rather than fitting the system to the players you have is ass backwards, but I understand it's often done. Look what the Jets did this past season. You would hope they could learn from their mistakes, but after almost 50 years I guess we know the answer to that question.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Good stuff. 1:25-2:10 from fournettes video has me hyped about him again. The fact that hes that fast on a bum ankle is freakish

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. NOVAJET

Fournette weighs in at 240 at the combine. Holy cow, can't wait to see his 40 time Friday but if it's good at that weight he won't make it to 6.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hope he flies on Friday and goes top 5, dropping someone far more important than a RB to 6.

13. Yes. i can't think of anything worse & less important than the Jets actually having a dynamic game changing skill player.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Attackett

I want a complete rebuild of the O as much as the next guy but you just don't select a RB in the top 10, I would say ever but there are some instances where it makes sense. We are not one of those instances and cannot start the rebuild with a RB. Not to mention this particular RB has had a bunch of injuries in college and has concerns about nagging ankle injuries.

Makes absolutely no sense to start a rebuild with a position that has the shortest shelf life in the league and a position that is consistently churning out top end talent in the mid to late rounds every year.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  15. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

we could put him at linebacker too then jokes aside if we take cook and this guy becomes an hall of famer it will be fun to watch this message board.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Love the Fournette video. I think the points about Gap vs. Zone reads is a great one, Fournette doing better with a FB in front of him, and also the one about if the team that takes Fournette doesn't have an identity. The latter point would make him a great fit for the Jets. He would give us an identity on offense.

If the Jets are leaning towards Fournette, I hope that they give some serious thought to the type of reads they'll ask him to make, how they'll teach him/help him improve at the Zone reads, and as the video suggests, get a good FB in front of him. Cook sounds like he would be more flexible.

It will be interesting to see if the Jets have any interest in either RB. While in today's NFL the case can be made that taking a RB in the top 10 isn't great value, I think either Fournette or Cook ARE great value, and I think the Jets and we would be very fortunate if the Jets draft either one at #6.

EDIT: I just saw in the Mixon thread that Cook had been charged but acquitted with punching a woman in the face two years ago, and there was an incident with chaining up 3 puppies. I think those incidents and Cook's character need to be thoroughly checked out before I'd even consider drafting him, regardless of his talent. For now, I would NOT be happy taking him at #6.

#76 NCJetsfan, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

This times 100. I think that people are extremely overvaluing taking a RB in the top 10. Dallas was able to do that last year because they were one or two pieces away from having top offense. We are no where close to what they were last year. We have holes everywhere on offense-(imo except at rb). add to that that this draft class seems to be pretty deep with running backs so we could easily get a decent quality rb in the later rounds. I would think that a FQB or star WR, or O-Line help would be a better investment in the offense with the #6 pick.

18. Attackett

I'm truely amazed by how many are in favor of this nonsense. I've been on this board for many years and it's always been the general consensus that you don't take a RB in the first round let alone top 10. Now all of a sudden Cowboys strike gold with Zeke(at least in his first year) and everyone now wants a RB in top 10.

Boggles my mind, not even mentioning that towards the end of the year Powell was looking like our best player and a guy deserving of getting more carries. Now I'm not a believer in Powell as a feature back but he has certainly proven to be a capable weapon as part of a RB committee.

This draft has top end talent at almost every position that is far more important than a RB. Just about the only way the can fuck up this pick is by picking a RB.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OK, Fournette weighed in at 240 lbs. This guy might kill DBs, but I've never seen a running back that big run a good 40 time ... if he does watch out ...

20. ColoradoContrails

Football is a game of cycles. The best teams get out in front of the current cycle. I'm not saying that the NFL is going to return to "3 yards and a cloud of dust", but an elite RB is second only to a FQB in importance. And they don;t come around every year, or every 2 or even 3 years. Fournette is being compared to AP, and he came out 10 years ago. If he's that good - and some say he's even better because of his pass catching and blocking ability - he's absolutely worth a top 10 pick. Simply parroting what the "general consensus" says isn't any way to build a SB team.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.