Forum Sourced 53 Cut Down Roster Prediction - The Final 5

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Jul 9, 2018.

?

Pick the remaining 5 players to fill out the initial 53 man roster

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. Ardarius Stewart (WR)

90.0%
  2. Charone Peake (WR)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lucky Whitehead (WR/PR)

10.0%
  4. Eric Tomlinson (TE)

100.0%
  5. Brent Qvale (OL)

60.0%
  6. Kevin Minter (ILB)

50.0%
  7. Dylan Donahue (OLB)

40.0%
  8. Brandon Copeland (ILB/OLB)

40.0%
  9. Daryl Roberts (CB)

60.0%
  10. Jeremy Clark (CB/S)

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Voting for the first 48 positions is closed out and the roster is below (in order of votes received except QB):

QB (3)
    McCown
    Bridgewater
    Darnold

RB (4)
    Powell
    Crowell
    McGuire
    Flowers (R)

WR (5)
    Anderson
    Enunwa
    Kearse
    Hansen
    Pryor

TE (2)
    Leggett
    Herndon (R)

OL (8)
    Beachum
    Carpenter
    Long
    Winters
    Shell
    Garcia
    Swanson
    Dozier

DL (6)
    Leo
    McLendon
    Shepherd (R)
    Anderson
    Pennel
    Fatukasi (R)

ILB (3)
    Lee
    Williamson
    Pierre-Louis

OLB (4)
    Jenkins
    Martin
    Bass
    Mauldin

CB (5)
    Johnson
    Claiborne
    Nickerson (R)
    Skrine
    Burris

S (4)
    Adams
    Maye
    Wilcox
    Brooks

ST (4)
    Edwards
    Santos
    Hennessey
    Cannon (R)

With 48 roster spots selected we now have to choose the remaining 5 open spots. These can be ST contributors, depth, or maybe just a development player. The Poll limits me to 10 choices so I chose the 10 players based on a combination of likelihood and previous voting.

Do we keep the 3rd TE? How about a 9th OL? Or maybe a dedicated PR?

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I chose the following:

Stewart (WR) - 2nd year player will make the roster and can hopefully become a contributor
    Tomlinson (TE) - best inline blocking TE on the roster will make the team
    Donahue (OLB) - off field issues are a concern but Greene will make him into a contributor
    Copeland (ILB/OLB) - his versatility and ST ability will get him on the roster
    Clark (CB/S) - I'm really intrigued by his "big nickel" potential so I chose him over Roberts for the #6 corner spot

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Daryl Roberts is a good depth player and Claiborne obviously has trouble staying healthy. Nickerson and Skrine are best served in the slot. I’m keeping Roberts as a backup outside corner since Burris was underwhelming last year.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think things will come down as you and/or the votes described. I don't think there will be 48 players who are pretty much locks and then 5 bubble players.

I don't see any way that Mauldin makes the team barring a lights out TC, and I just don't think he's capable. Nor do I think that Burris makes the final roster over Roberts, or that Dozier will make the roster over Qvale. I think that Donahue makes it over Mauldin, Roberts makes it over Burris, and Qvale makes it over Dozier.

Neither do I think the Jets would possibly keep only 2 TEs with Bates liking to use 2-TE sets, especially with both Leggett and Herndon coming off serious injuries. I think that Tomlinson makes it as the 3rd TE (and they may even keep 4 TEs) and Minter makes it as the 4th ILB.

Cannon hasn't returned punts before and has been somewhat "iffy." Unless he proves totally reliable in camp, I think there's a chance that Whitehead or the other Roberts wins the job, and Cannon goes to the PS.

Thus, I think there will only be 3 spots that will be debatable, and I only voted for 3 players. I think those 3 spots will be filled by Stewart, Clark and Whitehead. I don't think Peake has a serious chance of making the roster.

Copeland's versatility is intriguing, but could be seen as a luxury since he really doesn't offer much as a pass rusher.