Former Jet Joe McKnight Killed

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NYJalltheway, Dec 1, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are kinda right. He says were here to charge, then the long pathetic rant... Then when the news channels cut away because it was too long and the off color language, then the details of where the case stands and why they charged Gasser

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You think your description is close to what the sheriff said?

I obviously see a stark difference between the 2 but I'll see if anyone else sees what I see.

I'm 20 minutes into the press conference and have yet to hear the comedy of errors. You have a problem with him bringing up trolls who have no idea what it takes to investigate something like this and call elected officials and clergy racist and homophobic names. I have no problem with his exposing the morons who do these things.

3. The Waterboy

What of my facts are off? I have asked you about the errors of which you pointed out one and then proceeded to bitch because you think the sheriff should have said, we arrested him and charged him with manslaughter, then turn around and leave. The rest is a separate issue which I have no problem with him addressing at that time, but has nothing to do with this case so I am not going to address that anymore.

Just let me know which of my facts regarding the case are off.

4. BrowningNagle

you are leaving out pieces of the sheriff's words. presumably when the altercation first started. The sheriff said that gasser himself told him that he pursued McKnight.

--

basically, though I dont see what I have to defend. Of course Mcknight did alot wrong. I am not saying he didn't. That's how these things happen, both guys were wrong....aka "classic road rage incident"

5. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I'll go back and re-listen.

My recollection was he stated that Gasser was arrested and charged with manslaughter as related to the incidents last week, then complemented the McKnight family on how they conducted themselves while allowing the process to play out, then explaining the time line and process (including blasting the individual who gave 3 false statements that McKnight had pulled Gasser out of the car, which prolonged the process), then detailing the process that must be followed by law and was followed (with an occasional "I don't give a fuck" type interjection as it related to those who were criticizing the process), and then he went into his rant against the idiots for their racist and homophobic comments.....

It was at that time that CNN cut back to the studio, and the poor girl who was on air was all flustered as if he had been dropping N-words and F-bombs and she couldn't recompose herself....at one point she referred to the case as a white cop shooting a black man...almost completely lost it on air when she realized her gaff, but the man she was interviewing politely corrected her and got her compose and back on track....

But I'll go back and re-watch/re-listen and make sure my recollection is correct.

6. BrowningNagle

he doesn't get into what they believe happened until about the 20 minute mark. I didn't watch it unfold on CNN but I bet that was a treat to watch

7. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

And my original point was your statement "That they can't hold a press conference without crying about the media and all the attention, that the Sheriff was literally spending a half hour today reading tweets from random people like ‘You punk ass Uncle Tom coon — We saw you sell out to them you rat ass faggot punk.’ as if that is relevant to the case before he could even just announce the charges. It was a fuckin joke."

Then I pointed the link you posted had him announcing the charges in the first 12 seconds, not after the rant. Perhaps I'm being a little nit-picky. I understand your perspective, but there is no need to go all RonPi on the matter.

And yes, it was a treat to watch it unfold....I had no problem with him calling out racist and homophobic idiots....but admittedly, I was surprised....there were several points in the presser that I thought he was gonna go postal....

In the end, we can only hope this case is what it appears to be, and that justice will be bestowed upon Joe and the McKnight family.

8. BrowningNagle

fair enough I guess. 20 minutes vs. 30 minutes, and I'll acknowledge that I initially missed the first sentence where they were going to charge. It just surprised me that he would act like that.

Yes, I agree, I hope justice is served here

9. The Waterboy

So would this seem to sum it up? McKnight cut off Gasser, Gasser followed McKnight and cut him off, they continued cutting each other off until the red light where Gasser was in front and then McKnight pulled on his right and got out, approached Gasser's window where Gasser then shot him.

Still quite a bit different from "Gasser became irritated when McKnight cut Gasser off in traffic. Gasser then pursued McKnight. McKnight eventually parked and went to Gasser’s car. At that point, Gasser fired three shots." but like I said I'll see if anyone else sees what I see and leave it at that.

10. BrowningNagle

sure, I guess but I don't see how they are very different

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

1.Justice has been served.
    2. Case was mishandled.
    3.Blacks in NO feel justice comes slow for whites and fast for blacks.
    I'm just happy that the creep will spend years behind bars. JMHO

Brook! and NYJalltheway like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

manslaughter seems like a weak charge, i am not sure this guy does time. wouldn't be surprised if the deal this out

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. If Gasser not only chased him down, but in the time of chasing him down pulled his gun out to shoot McKnight upon approaching his car, that certainly teeters on premeditation. It's a small timeframe of premeditation but I think it's a case that could be made.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i thought they would either let him walk on stand your ground or go murder 2 and plea it out to manslaughter. it will be intersting to see where this goes.
    my guess he spends 10 years on probabtion

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Man, you guys are getting way ahead of the game here. Gasser shot McKnight and has admitted to doing so. The circumstances surrounding the shooting are largely unclear and have been made more complicated by a witness who lied about the fatal encounter. The police chief did get a bit carried away but said things that have needed to be said for a while regarding these types of cases. People screaming for instant gratification regardless of how far along the investigation may be do a disservice to all parties.

Gasser will now face a grand jury to see what charges he'll be tried on, if any. In the meanwhile, he'll probably get bailed out and all those who don't understand the concept of bail will go nuts again. The chief may need another rant to educate them too.

16. isired

isired New Member

I'd say "comedy of errors" is accurate
    The sheriff started off, in his first presser on the incident, by saying that he could not discuss the details of the case. He then went on to discuss the details of the case... and reading tweets is not only unprofessional, but it's a horrible strategy. Even someone who is completely ignorant to social media and public relations in general should realize that taking these racist and profane rants from the twitterverse to the national media only serves to give them a wider audience and provide a perceived benefit to those who would consider tweeting such things. It's like focusing the camera on the fool who runs on the field at a football game. It sure doesn't dissuade the next guy.

17. The Waterboy

You have a link to the first presser? Because I just listened to the first 3 or 4 minutes of what I believe is the 1st and didn't hear him say anything about not discussing the details of the case.

Not sure how him exposing the homophobic and racist tweets aimed at clergy and elected officials is in any way an error, you may not like that he did it but I don't see how it would contribute to this being a comedy of errors.

18. isired

isired New Member

I heard on the radio but found this:
    http://media.wwl.com/device/mobile/a/117640787/12-2-16-1pm-joe-mcknight-press-conference.htm

Talks about not giving out details because they're still looking for witnesses, and he doesn't want to be accused of poisoning the well, then goes on to talk about bullet angles, she'll casings, etc., then reiterates that he's not discussing details. The guy comes off as both condescending and insecure/defensive. Must be tough living in that head.

alleycat9 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

Careful the guy might read ur posts in his next presser

20. The Waterboy

That is the one I started listening to, since he did not say anything about not releasing details at the beginning of the news conference I am going to guess he was talking about one area of the investigation and then said he wasn't going to get further into details. But do you really think witnesses are going to talk about bullet angles and shell casings? He might have meant along the lines of not saying the first witness had 3 different stories in the first hour or maybe about the shots coming from inside the car.

And again you are getting into the part about him talking about public reaction and tweets he exposed which has nothing to do with the investigation.