For all the talks about needing a FQB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 15, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

But Bowles and Mac weren't part of this organization for 48 years ... so you have to judge this regime for this regime ... right now, I saw some good, saw some bad, but I saw improvement so I want to see where it goes. If we didn't see that improvement that I am referring to, I would be in the same boat fellow fan!

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Fair enough. My issue with the Favre trade was that it seemed like a desperation move to acquire someone who clearly wanted to play for the Vikings after ending his first "retirement."

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It did for sure but it lead to penis-gate which was hilarious. and favre got to go to minn anyway afterwards where he also broke down due to age. it worked out well for everyone except us of course

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

My biggest fear was that Favre would throw an INT at the worst possible moment for us and it happened in week 17, leading to a pick 6. He threw one in OT against the Giants in the NFC Championship game in 2007 and did the same late in the 4th quarter in NO as they were driving for a possible go ahead FG. But you're right, the 8-3 start was fun, especially those 5 straight wins including beating an undefeated Titans team in Tennessee. :)

NYJetsO12 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

favre was always like that though his whole career. i mean he is the all time INT leader in NFL hsitory

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair enough. We all have our beliefs about how to fix this Titanic of a franchise...if they only listen to us!:D

7. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Who says you don't need a FQB?

Sorry, couldn't exactly get this to work with the image tags.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Oh, stop your whining. Here's the definition, tell me what part of "opposite in every way" you disagree with.

You wrote it, just own it - it's only a big deal if you make it one. Or feel free to create your own definition - just let us know what it is in advance; it's not that important.

polar opposite
    Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Jump to: navigation, search
    English[edit]
    WOTD – 14 December 2015
    Noun[edit]
    polar opposite (plural polar opposites)

1. The complete opposite, opposite in every way. Allan Cunningham, "The Maid of Elvar," Blackwoods Magazine, p. 998 (Google preview):
      Rusticity and Urbanity are polar opposites—and there lie between many million modes of Manners.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He's a former defensive coach who since has had nothing but defensive players picked for him. In free agency they gave Revis, Cromartie, Skrine and in the draft have taken 1st round defensive players every year. Granted that was easy to do. But what happens after you assemble these players. That is the problem with the Jets. These players aren't progressing at all. Wilk play has gone south, Williams play has gone down, he played Richardson at linebacker, the secondary is soft and so is their coverage.

10. boozer32

I agree about dictating the roster but if this is your product and your baby you are going to be engaged in what it is doing. You spent billions to acquire it and you better care aboout the bottom line. I would take all the killing and wrecking Jones and Davis have done for those Super Bowls. We've had 50 years of wrecking and killing with no winning. I just didn't like how Jerry Jones removed Tom Landry and Tex Schram. Could have been done in a better way and they deserved better.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

I disagree on that part. many companies the CEO is hands off and nothing more then a financial backer/owner. They look at the bottom line (profits) football is a little different because owners want to win but when you run a company you cna't do everything. I'm sure where you work, the owner isn't worried about the janitor doing his job, that what he pays other people to do. It's the owners job in football to hire the top staff (GM) and let them do the rest. the only thing woody has to do is hold mac accountable and replace him if needed. it's not woodys job to pick players or couches. I'm sure he is paying out at least 2million a year in a scouting department and paying mac good money to use that info to build a team. and mac seems to have a good eye for things so far if you compare him around the NFL average (not comparing him to the best because that's nonsense)

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The CEO/Owner may not care who the janitor is, but if he's losing customers/money because the premises are dirty he's damn sure going to get on the guy under him who IS in charge of cleaning and make sure he gets this fixed. The CEO/Owner doesn't need to know which cleaning products are the best, or how to run a buffer, but he DOES know whether the job is being done right, and will make changes to ensure that it is. The Johnsons haven't shown an ability to do this properly.

As to whether it's the owner's job to hire/fire coaches and players, if he's knowledgeable he can certainly be involved in that, but most owners aren't knowledgeable. That's where hiring someone to run the team is critical, whether it's a GM or Pres. of Football Ops, or whatever title you call it, you'd better have someone who really knows how to build a winner. Woody f'ed this up when he hired Macc and didn't hire an experienced guy over him to guide him and direct him. The result is just Macc and Bowles doing OJT trying to figure things out as they go. I don't have the patience for their learning curve, and I don't think most decades-suffering Jets fans do.

Macc may have a good eye for talent - I don't fully agree with that, but I don't think he's necessarily terrible either - but where he's lacking is an overall vision or plan for assembling talent into a winning team. He seems to just be taking the BPA and hoping Bowles can fashion them into a team. If he does have a plan, it's sure not evident.

13. GasedAndConfused

I'm pretty sure the johnsons like every NFL team owner is making bank off the franchise still. he's been an owner less the 20 years and already doubled his money in the value of the franchise. the jets are also one of the top 5 or 6 franchises valuewise. Woody purchased the jets for 635 million in 2008. as of 2015 (newest i could find) the jets are worth 2.6 billion and are the 6th highest franchise as far as value in the NFL. cowboys, pats, giants, skins, and niners are the top 5. that means in less then 20 years he's quadrupled his money. any CEO who sees his company grow in value that much wouldn't be reaming out the janitor. he'd be in vacation.

anyway with that said, obviously in the NFL there is small differences since winning matters. it is a competition. but there are 32 franchises. that means that if every team was 100% balanced an everything was shared equal your team would win 1 SB every 32 years. You cna't win them all. period. You also can't magically become a dynasty. people who are billionaires understand this and that t takes time. fans think too much with their heart and lack the ability to see the big picture.

14. boozer32

A CEO is much different than a owner of a football team. A CEO has many buffers between him and the janitor. Who is between Johnson and Maccagnan? Between Johnson and McCown? Maybe 1 person. The profits are already built in with football franchise and that is part of the problem too. They are getting their money and profits from TV, PSL, merchandize. Its all profit with minimal effort other than showing up at the owners meeting once a year. If the Jets success depended on them winning they would be out of business.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

the CEO is the owner. it's the same title pretty much. the only difference is an owner is usually the sole owner while a CEO is the majority owner

16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

14 of the last 16 starting Super Bowl QBs for the AFC are Brady, Manning & Big Ben. It's 16 of 16 if you add Flacco.

Tell me again about not needing a Franchise QB, because the two top defenses & a team who lost it's starting QB late in the season (who was the favorite to win the MVP) are in the Conference Championship game this year.

17. GasedAndConfused

what about the NFC? yes we all know brady is the most dominant QB in the NFL. but even then he lost twice to eli becuase eli had the betetr team around him and the defense stepped up big. Ben has bell and brown. when you have the best WR and best RB in the NFL plus a good D and good o-line many QBs would have sucess with the steelers. Flacco is mediocre his D and run game won him the SB. you also left out the entire NFC because it didn't fit your narrative. try again ;)

18. CotcheryFan

In the NFC, you have:
    2001 - Warner
    2002 - Johnson
    2003 - Delhomme
    2004 - McNabb
    2005 - Hasselbeck
    2006 - Grossman
    2007 - Manning
    2008 - Warner
    2009 - Brees
    2010 - Rodgers
    2011 - Manning
    2012 - Kaepernick
    2013 - Wilson
    2014 - Wilson
    2015 - Newton
    2016 - Ryan

14 different QB's, so much more variety than the AFC. Johnson and Grossman weren't FQB's for sure. Delhomme and Kaepernick were possible FQB's without the benefit of hindsight. That leaves 10 surefire FQB's who have started a Super Bowl for the NFC over the last 16 years.

19. GasedAndConfused

So mcnabb, warner, rodgers, wilson, newton, ryan and maybe eli so about half franchise QBs? Now list all the FQB that never made a SB or won a SB during that era

20. CotcheryFan

I'm not trying to suggest that a FQB is the only thing you need to make a Super Bowl, but it sure as hell makes it easier. It's the most important position on the field and the hardest to fill. Of course, you still have to build around said FQB and have a competent D.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.