Fixing the Jets offense short term

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 6, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So this thread is not about what we can do in the future, this is about sparking our offense with what we have. there is no way to fix injuries or improve talent for the rest of the year, that means it's going to fall on bates to spark the offense here are some ideas i have

1) Trick plays - i don't understand why we never run them. mind you it's not the way to have an offense but in a game like the miami game last week, all we needed was 1 big play to tie the game or take the lead at any point. a trick play could have won us that game. we've seen 4 WRs throw TD passes this season. we had at one point a WR who was a college QB but never ran a play for him to throw. flea flicker, philly special, misdirection, WR pass, lots of trick plays to be run. even a wildcat play here and there or a RPO play. bates needs to be more creative at times

2) Be aggressive - this falls on bowles more then bates but go for it on 4th downs more often. if your inside the 40s and have 4th and short go for it keep the drive alive and get momentum. throw more downfield, especially on 1st down or 3rd and short. darnolds best sucess is throwing deep on 3rd and short.

3) up-temp offense - the jets have the 3rd least amount of snaps in the no huddle offense in the NFL. makes no sense for a team that has played from behind so much. run more no huddle hurry up offenses, don't let the defense substitute players, catch them off guard. get the pass rush winded

4) young players - time to see who can give us a spark. crowell is ineffective, play maguire and cannon more. cannon seems to be a very explosive player when given a chance. play herndon and legget more, no need for tomlinson to see the field at TE. the rest of this season now is about evaluating the players we have to make decisions for the offseason so let them play. if they can't cut it, then we know we need to replace them

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I often disagree with you SGB, but this post is right on. I could sum it all up by saying" Stop the insanity. As in. "Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results". The Jets keep following the same script which isn't working so it's time to break the mold and do something different.

3. GasedAndConfused

i'd love to see the stats on how often the jets run up the middle on first down. it sure feels like 80% of the time. i'm also not happy with that punt with 4 minutes left either. sure we got the ball back with 2 mins and no timeouts but at that point it was perfect to pull off a fake punt or some sort of trick play. i mean the season is over, your down 7, close to midfield with 4 mins left. why punt?

Mogriffjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are at the point where this coaching staff honestly doesn't believe in the players capabilities on the field. And that's sad in this day and age.......

5. ColoradoContrails

I think you're onto something there.

6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes and that would show or prove that Mac and Bowles aren't exactly on the same page. Bowles just shrugs figuring his OL and skill players aren't very good and runs the same plays hoping they break a long one every now and then....Mac is still on a high after finding his QB and looking at the coming off season with $100 million, a high draft pick, and his offensive make over. Only problem is the camera is showing Bowles on the sideline with that same agitated confused stare over and over......so Bowles gets the short end of the stick here.

Not that I'm a fan of him but that's whats happening here...

NoodleArm and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Well I was thinking that the types of plays Bates is calling shows almost no faith in Sam, as well as everyone else on the "O", and the punting on 4th down late in games when they're behind, shows Bowles has no faith in them. Maybe it's no surprise when you see guys like Kearse giving up.

mrjet80 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

whats funny is week 1 when we were winning a blowout the jets went for it on 4th down and passed and darnold converted it. I assumed it was for practice and good experience for darnold. yet when we need to go for it on 4th down we just punt

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Hawk-o

Hawk-o Active Member

Great post SGB!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think trick plays are out of the equation.

Shit...for this offense getting a 1st down is a magic trick.

We couldn't even flip the field on the Dolphins. The Dolphins?

Can't wait for a real barn burner vs. the mighty Bills.

I will once again boldly predict a win for one of them.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

A blowout win over the Bills next week will be just what the doctor ordered.

FJF likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

i'm not expecting a blowout. i'm expecting another game like miami except this time our defense wins it cause peterman is awful. if allen comes back they have a slim chance anderson is just as bad as peterman though so if he comes back or not doesn't really matter

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Get the ball into Robbie Anderson's hands as much as possible.

Pepsiguy5 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

honestly if we don't take 4-5 deep shots at him a game IDK why we even continue to have him on the roster. it's just wasted potential

15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If we had a decent offense I could get behind a new and aggressive mindset, but at this point the priority should be protecting SD's health and psyche.

In the same vein, it amazes how me how many posters seem to think that failing to chuck the ball downfield more means that Bates is terrible at play-calling. Play-calling on game day is like 3% of what makes or breaks an OC. If you gave Sean Payton this offense and this playbook on Sunday, you would not see miracles happen. He would not be chucking the ball downfield. He would assess and embrace the reality of the situation, which is that our receivers can't separate before our protection breaks down, and trying to force this to happen is a recipe for disaster.

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Fire Bates and replace him with Dennison.

17. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Believing something that isn't true also has its drawbacks.

TonyFtLaud and mrjet80 like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

i get that but the difference is sam has shown great sucess while throwing downfield and we have seen 0 sucess pounding the ball so logic dictates we don't stubornly run every 1st and 2nd down for a total of 1 yard every series. i guarantee Sean wouldn't do the same thing over and over that wasn't working. there is also this thing lots of teams do called throwing your WR open

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Our first pass play of the year was a trick play & look where that got us....A pick 6. Trick plays aren't the answer. More creative plays to get WR open, we could use. Creative offense doesn't need trick plays. We need an OC with a little creative spice to his system.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think a fake punt in that situation catches nobody off guard because if ever youre gonna fake a punt, its RIGHT there.

Skicats likes this.