Fitzpatrick: Weak link or Key to the future?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Sep 23, 2015.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Now that I have your attention, here is the answer. He is BOTH. Here is why:

1. Weak link: This Jets team is stacked. I mean stacked. It is hard to find a weak link. RBs: beast. WRs: beast. OL: Above average. Defense: beast, just beast. Fitz is an average QB. Good game manager not much more. By virture of the rest of the team being so strong, this makes Fitz the weak link (nickname perhaps?)

2. Key to the future:
    a. Present day: This team is so stacked that he does not need to be more than average for us to go far. Can he go all the way? Hard to know. If he stays healthy and continues to be consistent it will be a very good year.

b. Future. Here is what is gold about Fitzpatrick and why he could set us up for years to come. He does not cost much. This means we don't have money tied up on a QB which is typically the biggest cap hit a team can have. It give us two big advantages. First, more money to spend on the rest of the team and second, time. We should draft another early (not necessarily first) round QB and develop them. The two behind Fitz (Petty and new draft) should learn. We should have two solid candidates behind him that will one day replace or surpass him. This allows the cycle to start again. The cycle being having inexpensive effective QBs on the roster moving forward for many years. If done right it can be very powerful moving forward.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Hypothetically.
    If Fitzy plays the whole season and say goes

28 TDs, 12 INTs, 3,200+ yards, 65% passing completion.

I can see us resigning him to a 2-3 year deal...A bridge deal and we keep Petty as back.

This is if all things go according to plan...I also assume with the numbers I shared above we make the playoffs and challenge the Patsies for the Division.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

fitzpatrick is giving the jets the best qb play they have had since early season brett favre in 2008

he isnt aaron rodgers but he is def not geno smith or mark sanchez either

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

slimjasi, McCluneNYJ and FJF like this.
  5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He will have some good games and he will have some horrible ones. Its what hes done his entire career. We need to be realistic in this sense. We should challenge the Pats regardless and there isnt a team in this NFL we cant beat.

6. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

He's not a weak link because he's not going to play badly enough to destroy us and even if he did we have a good enough defense it's nearly impossible to be one of the worst teams in the league. He's also not anywhere close to being the "key to the future." IF and that's a big IF he does get through the year successfully and healthy he will most likely be given a 1-2 year deal. He is who is let's not get carried away on 2 games. Just because he's the best thing we have right now does not mean he will be the best next year or the year after.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'll take 12 great/good games and 4 bad/very mediocre games

NYJetsO12 and zace like this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong im not saying were losing 10 games, but honestly the NFC is weak. The top teams in AFC we can play with. Im not crazy in thinking this team can go far in the playoffs.

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Given his age, his numbers don't scream mega-deal, but I could see us re-signing him. On pace for 3400 yds, 32 TDs, 16 INTs. 63%. I would expect his yardage to be about the same, and his TD and INT ratio to even out a bit given past performance. He's also got to stay healthy, which has been a problem for him. If he gets hurt and Geno plays well, the FO is going to have a big decision on its hands.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Theres no way hes throwing 32 tds dude come on. This is what im talking about, be realistic. No Qb on this roster is regardless of who you like.

11. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

we are 2-0
    I will be happy to have the coach / staff guide this team and make decisions one week at a time.
    That really should be good enough considering the dismal show and circus acts we witnessed last season.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Exactly the quote I thought of!!

McCluneNYJ likes this.
  13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Read my post again Brodudeamigo - He is "on pace" to throw 34 TDs, but I feel "his TD and INT ratio to even out a bit given past performance". That means that I foresee his TDs will go down and INTs will go up.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

misread my bad

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

One of my favorite all time movie lines. I've used it a few times to varying degrees of laughter and horror.

_

16. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Advantages:
    Steady veteran hand
    Reliable game manager

Disadvantages:
    Insufficient guapo

NY Jets68 and abyzmul like this.
  17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The situation will eventually come up where the Jets need him to step up and win the game and his limitations will be on display then the strongest. He seems like an excellent bridge to Petty. Hopefully Petty rises and becomes what we've all been waiting forever for.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The thing with Fitzpatrick is staying healthy. And that's a big if. IF he stays healthy he is good for 20-24 TDs, 14-15 INTs and a little over 3000 yards. Not bad........the Jets can go far barring injuries.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  19. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

He is playing worse ball than Geno was last year and in camp this year. That's with Brandon Marshall up against the Colts' 4th string corners and worse. Hold off on the hype. Geno did more with less the last 4-6 weeks of last season.

edit: reading up on this reminded me how much we just collapsed in 2011. 8-5 with two brutal losses to the Pats, which is excusable, got the Raiders before their injuries when they were hot, Colin fucking Baxter, and fell victim to that Tebow game...which honestly those brutal late hits by Von Miller on Sanchez that never got flagged and I recall Shonn Greene not playing...we had some bad luck but were 8-5 and Sanchez was 21 TDs to only 11 INTs, no real underachieving like we had in 2010 and we played three teams with worse records than us and still managed to completely implode. We haven't contended since.

#19 socaljetfan, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I actually think that Geno will wind up starting at some point and do a good job, but how do you figure that Fitz is playing worse than Geno did last year? In his entire career, Geno has never posted back to back games with a passer rating over 90. Fitz just did in his very first 2 with us. In his entire career, Geno has never had back to back games with multiple TD passes. Again, Fitz just did in his first 2. You can attribute that to a much better supporting cast that Fitz is playing with, but I don't think you can say he's playing worse.

NYJetsO12 and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.