First of the year 2012 Mock Offseason

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Free Agency:

Robert Meachem WR: Excellent deep threat that can help our offense stretch the field. He's looking for a decent pay day and the opportunity to become a top receiver.

Braylon Edwards WR: For obvious reasons. Good chemistry with Mark and should come for cheap

Jason Snelling RB: A guy with hardly any miles on his body. Played in a very limited role so far in his career. Would split carries with Greene and do some things for us when Greene isn't in the game.

Breno Giacomini OT: Decent player that has experience at all of the positions on the O-Line. Would give us depth and could compete for starting RT.

Tarnard Jackson S: Solid coverage safety. He would help with our TE covering woes. I wanted him coming out of college and now we have an opportunity to go get him.

Draft:

1. Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama

[​IMG]

The kid is a stud. He fits the mold for a 3-4 OLB. He's produced very well the last two seasons against top competition. He is definitely NFL ready and hopefully he will be there at 16. He reminds a lot of Lamarr Woodley.

2. Harrison Smith S Notre Dame

[​IMG]

A real tough player that is always healthy. He has excellent ball hawking skills and is overall a playmaker. He's extremely athletic and one of the best cover Safties in the draft. Him and Jackson back there at safety would rid of the threat of all opposing TEs.

3. Levy Adcock OT Oklahoma State

[​IMG]

Adcock is a very solid RT prospect in this draft. He's a very dominate pass blocker and a good run blocker. He's very versatile. Arguably OSUs best O-lineman of the last couple years. He's very calm under pressure and just a natural at the position. He is a big reason why OSUs passing game has been so successful.

2012 Starters:

QB: Sanchez
    RB:Greene
    FB: Conner
    WR: Holmes, Meachem, Edwards
    TE: Keller, Cumberland

LT: D'Brick
    LG: Slauson
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Adcock

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DT: DeVito

OLB: Upshaw
    WLB: Mauga/4th round pick
    MLB: Harris
    OLB: Pace/Maybin

CB: Revis, Cromartie
    S: Jackson, Harrison

Tonight was the first night I actually did some sit down, hours long research on the 2012 draft.

Feedback is much appreciated!! Let me know what you think!

2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I really like it, but seeing the depth chart makes me want Scott to stay more. I doubt we'll sign 2 WR in FA, but I would be very excited if this is how everything went.

3. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I have mixed emotions about this mock draft/offseason its not so great in some areas and other areas its not so bad. No offense towards you just my opinion.

Meachem is a guy I really like, I have suggested him prior. He is a good deep threat for this team, not much more but thats still good to have to help Sanchez out.

Braylon signing I like depending on his health, but for some reason I dont think he will be back on the Jets, when we passed up on his duties this organization was most likely saying goodbye for good. My reasoning is why sign him now when we could of signed him last season? I would love to have Edwards but unfortunately I just dont see it.

Also, the Braylon signing would kind of cancel out getting Meachem. Braylon is a deep threat, similar to Meachem. It kind of wouldnt make sense for us to sign both. A possession WR would make more sense.

Snelling I dont exactly like, he hasnt played much but he is also 28, so he will only be good for a few years no matter how you look at it. Also, to replace LT we need a receiving back to bail out Sanchez on third down plays. Snelling isnt exacly ideal for that sure handed kind of back youd want. He can make catches but Id rather sign a guy like Tolbert who has great hands and is a solid runner. Hed be a great compliment to Greene.

Giacomini didnt do too bad starting for a bit on the Seahawks but I think Id rather draft a player that the staff likes. Callahan does a good job with young guys, besides Ducasse.

Tanard Jackson Ive always liked but hes been suspect this year on the Bucs, hes blown more coverages than youd actually think and he isnt the same as he was in 2009 at all. He wouldnt be a bad signing though. Hes young and has potential.

As for the Draft its kind of up and down for me like the off season.

Upshaw obviously I love, he is a solid OLB prospect and should be a great player for this team. Ive said plenty about him already but hes a great player for this team to target at 16. My only concern is their are 3 teams who could draft him ahead of us. Buffalo, Arizona, and quiet possibly Dallas if no CB is there for them.

Ive been a big advocate of not draft a Safety in this draft and Im sticking with it. Harrison Smith is a very overrated player and is also not a 2nd round prospect at all. Last year he had 7 picks, which was impressive, but I wouldnt call him a ball hawk at all. He is more of a run stopper, kind of like a Jimmy or Tom Zbikowski, they are solid athletes, and good leaders but thats about it. I actually think Smith will be converted to a LB in a 4-3 scheme. I actually think that would be perfect for him, a solid run stopper, and a good cover guy. He has the size at 6'2 220. If I were the Jets Id rather go WR or OT even with your signings.

Adcock I cant complain about. He is a solid RT prospect but needs time to work on his lackluster footwork and pass blocking skills, you'd be surprised how many pass rushers get the best of him. Hes not a bad prospect for the 3rd round but if you are expecting him to start he wont be any better than Hunter his rookie year.

Last thing, We should not cut Bart, period. Why would it make sense for our team who has been lacking at run stopping to cut our emotion leader on D as well as a pretty good run blocker for the likes of Mauga or a 4th round pick? The Jets just wouldnt do it.

I can appreciate the thread though since I know some work comes out into making these. Hope I gave you as valid and complete of an explanation as I could give.

#3 JohnnyThaJet, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. laxin

laxin Active Member

Free agency- I really like the signing of Meachem, in another thread here I brought him up as a really good fit to fill our deep threat hole. I also brought up signing both Meachem and Edwards too, and although Johnny has a valid point about signing two similar WR, I think it would provide very good depth for 3-4 years.

Not a fan of Jason Snelling, I just dont think he’ll really upgrade the RB. We do need help here though and I will agree with you there.

Tanard Jackson would be nice, but he was suspended like holmes was and this locker room does not need anymore loose cannons. This is kind of speculation bases on his suspension, but there are other safeties in free agency that I would look at before him.

As for the draft, Upshaw is currently atop my list, unless someone like Trent Richardson or Jonathan Martin falls, so I love that pick. Once again, not a proponent of reaching on a safety- I would rather resign Jimmy and sign a FA. Adcock is a decent selection though...

Nice job though

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If we sign Meachem and Edwards I'll cream my pants and every subsequent pair I put on as a replacement

6. laxin

laxin Active Member

And with Meachem comes Joe Lombardi... how’s ur pants then? lol

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

What does anyone think of Tom Zbikowski at S. He hasn't been a fulltime starter yet so he could come cheap. Are his coverage skills still as suspect as they were in college? Because I have always liked him, and he could take over PR duties as well.

8. JohnnyThaJet

He's essentially a worse version of Jimmy. He cant civer but can stop the run. He might as well be a linebacker.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

He just seems like a Eric Smith- player who’s played well on ST’s and some packages on defense, but not a full time starter. If we still have Eric Smith on the team, there really would be no need in signing Zbikowski.

10. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Really? From watching highlights Harrison seems to be suspect in the run stopping. He didn't stand out to me at all as that kind of player. Almost reminds me of Kerry Rhodes just a hell of a lot more athletic and a little more aggressive.

You make Adcock seem like he is extremely raw and would be a project pick. He's a very solid player and is a good anchor and to me hardly lets pass rushers get the best of him. I believe in the last two seasons he has only allowed one sack against solid pass rushers in the Big 12.

Thanks for the feedback though man! I just let me know what you think about what I posted above. Thanks for taking the time to reply

11. Lost on Revis Island

In terms of the signings:
    I like Meachum, not sold on him and braylon though, unless we were to unload Holmes somehow.
    Not a fan of bringing Snelling in, however i see where you are coming from. I would rather bring LT back for that 3rd down role and leadership, or just go witht the guys we have (im dead sold on LaMichael James in rd 3 if he is there).
    I dont know much about Giacomini, but if he has that versitility and can challege for the RT spot im all for it.
    I dont like the character of Jackson and i dont think his game makes up for it like a Holmes for example. There is a good group of FA safetys this year, but we will have to wait and see what happens after all the tags are given. Of the group i like Landry, he has great speed and athleticism, something we sorely lack at safety.

As for the draft:
    You cannot go wrong with Upshaw in rd 1. He would definately help the defense against the run as he is stout at the line of scrimage. I dont think he will be AS gifted a pass rusher in the NFL though (better than what we have). I am curious who are some others you would go after if he is off the board?

My major complaint of the whole post is Smith in rd 2. I think that may be a reach of about 2 or 3 rounds. There are many other spots on our team that need help that this draft class can help us in rd 2.

Adcock is a good, safe pick for rd 3. It is a spot of need, and i dont think he would play worse than Hunter did this past year. If he studies the playbook and learns the offense fast enough i think he could start week 1.

Good job overall.

12. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

I'm a firm believer in drafting Upshaw in the first round. Most of the mocks that I've looked at have Smith no where near the 2nd round though, 3rd round at the earliest.

13. Lost on Revis Island

I like upshaw dont get me wrong but i have some concers about him. I think he has the size and strength to play OLB. I dont think his speed translates as well as his strength. I havent seen him play that much, but when i have i havent noticed dominant pass rushing moves. Most guys mocking him seem to agree he will be a pass rushing monster, i dont see that. There is no doubt he will upgrade our defense, start in week 1, and be the best OLB on the team however I question how his speed and pass rushing moves transition to the NFL. I see him as an 8-10 sack kind of guy. However his ability to set the edge, make plays in the backfield, and his versitility to play ILB (and a nasty one if you ask me) next to harris, to me warrents the pick at 16 (not my first choice there).

Im looking foward to watching him in the LSU v Bama game tomorrow. What are your thoughts on him?

14. laxin

laxin Active Member

I really like Upshaw and think he would be a great pick. I do agree in the fact that I dont see him as a passrushing monster. He reminds me of Lamar Woodley, a great OLB overall, can play the run very well and will get you 10 sacks. I dont see anyone in this draft as passrushing monster like Aldon Smith, Von Miller, JPP ect. He doesnt have great speed, but most definitely more than what we currently have.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Whitney Mercilus...bank on it.

16. JohnnyThaJet

If we were taking about 2010 I would agree with the Rhodes comparison but this year he made a dramatic turn around as a starter. He seemed like he was a bit off with his ball skills but actually last some impressive tackles in the open field and forced some fumbles. Maybe a difference of opinion idk. I don't hate him as a prospect but id rather seem him drafted a few rounds lower.

Adcocks strength is very under whelming , I think initially in the NFL most rushers could get around him. I'm not saying his pass blocking is horrible, just to me its not NFL ready. I love his attitude in the game though and his superb run blocking. He's a mean mean player. I just wouldnt trust him starting initially, if the Jets want a rookie starter they should draft one in the 2nd.

Anytime , no need to thank me. I actually apologize for a less in depth response in this post I am just tired as hell from work and am acting lazy hahaha.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'd rather have meachum or edwards not both.
    kerley is a good fit in the slot and signing both would hinder his development

18. JohnnyThaJet

Don't Jinx it! Doubt him! Just like they did JPP and Aldon. That worked out awesomely for there teams.

19. skeleton_frames

Great job. I like this mock a lot. Meachem would be great addition to the offense and this addresses all of the problems, except QB, but we need to wait a year to (hopefully) see Sanchez in a different offence.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

He’s not as athletic as them, but supposedly has a great work ethic and attitude- drawing comparisons to DeMarcus Ware in that sense. I like Mercilus, I do, but when I watch game film of him I just dont see a JPP or Aldon Smith. IMO, players like them only come around every once in a while. They are freaks, and I dont really expect anyone we draft to turn into what they will. Maybe I have to watch more, but I’m not completely sold on him being that next pass rusher being put in with those names. I hope I’m wrong though!