#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Again, this is like 2 games out of like 40ish games Bowles has coached where he punted down 2 scores and I still didn't have a HUGE problem with it, the O was horrible and McCown was throwing into BUF defenders all game. He was giving the D a chance to make a play.

Everyone coach for the most part has clock management issues. Legitimate nitpicking as we have seen Bowles become more aggressive as time has gone on. Its all about balance.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

ok, well he's the coach for this season whether I want him to be or not so I certainly hope you are right and I'm wrong. .. time will tell.

I just hate accepting or justifying mediocrity. And Chris Johnson's comments, along with many of the other pro-bowles arguments here require me to do that. Yours doesn't though.

Ralebird and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. You continue to make excuses for the guy.Spare me..please. If you think its all about talent after 4 years have at it.But whether you like it or not part of his JOB is to handle in game management & if he cant to delegate to someone else who does.This has literally ZERO to do w talent.I dont wanna hear anymore about that portion. You dont need a FQB to properly use timeouts.You dont need a quality LT to review the plays you should review. You dont need an edge rush to make proper adjustments at the half.

You can hope beyond hope he improves in this area but dont tell me hes not open to any criticism or that he hasnt been subpar Within this aspect.

ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

I absolutely respect your P.O.V on this matter ... Time will tell. I am not satisfied either by what we saw week 1 or the progress that was made last year. I am however encouraged. Bowles must build on last year.

I think the owner and some of the players are a little too high off that win against the Lions and need to focus on the game this Sunday. I am really counting on Bowles to keep this team focused, if that focus wavers after these games so will my support of Bowles. He still has a lot of prove and that at times can only be measured in wins. The Jets should beat the Fins, that's what teams on the rise do, win at home. Last year, the Jets didn't know how to win cause of their inexperience, but that excuse is over. Yes, that even includes the fact that we have a rookie under center. Gotta keep building.

ColoradoContrails and Ralebird like this.
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Colorado. One of the reasons I didn't like Herm is in 2002 with Paul Hackett running a WCO he didn't even look at Chad until we went on a 4 game losing streak. We finished that year 9 and 7. Chad was healthy and the perfect QB to run the WCO that Herm had Hackett install. If we win 2 of those 4 lost games instead of going to Oakland we may well have had a home bye and our best player John Abraham who was hurt in the 2nd to last game and was unable to go may have been able to play. That was the year for Herm to win the SB. We had an absolute stacked team with a healthy Pennington and he forced Vinny who was done out on the field for 5 straight games.

Bowles by understanding that Darnold is the route to a Jets SB is miles ahead of Herm.

FJF likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

"Todd Bowles is the best coach in the league with a losing record. He hasn't had the talent." - Fox Sports' Colin Cowherd.

7. 101GangGreen101

You guys use the same "punt" excuse over and over again, they carry no weight bro. The clock management has gotten much better over time. Like it or not, talent has everything to do with it. You coach and game-plan using the talent you have available, so no I am not going to continuously go for it on 4th down with McCown / Fitz as my QB when they have screwed up games in the past.

These excuses are running out. Right now, everyone should be on a wait and see approach with Bowles. I never said he wasn't open to any criticism, I've criticized him myself but I have different reasons. Right now, this is the 2018 NFL season, not week 1 of the 2017 season in which you bring up that same BUF punting with 4 mins stuff.

#767 101GangGreen101, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You are right that they seem a little too high right now and that's not good. I don't think Miami is all that good, but its a short week and if the Jets spent 3 days celebrating the Monday Night win, Miami has enough talent to smack them in the mouth. Then the dreaded ROAD thursday night game. If they lose to Miami and Cleveland, the Lions win will be instantly forgotten...

and the "fire bowles" threads won't be shut down anymore lol :)

9. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely, Jets haven't proved anything yet. If we lose both games, by all means fire away on this thread Lol ... losing to the fins is annoying enough ...

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, those are just numbers on a piece of paper. Not a great way to evaluate a Head Coach, especially with the rosters you mentioned. You have to use your eyes. See that the Defense has under performed with his buddy Rodgers at the helm. See that they blew that Week 17 game in Buffalo in 2015. See that the team was a complete embarrassment in 2016 at (5-11) but were actually impressive and productive in 2017 at (5-11). Now he has Sam Darnold and we will see how he does. I think that makes sense. And for the record, I thought he should have been fired after 2016. It was that pathetic of a year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sensible post. I got to see several Jets games last year. I thought the effort was impressive. The effort on the road on Monday was impressive. Getting a road win against a veteran QB with a rookie QB on the road is impressive. Agree the year before last was a disaster. I think some of that was the contracts that were handed out to crappy veteran based on the year before. Getting 10 wins out of Fitzpatrick is virtually a miracle. He threw 3 picks in the Buffalo game and we missed a 40 yard field goal and we were in the game into the 4th quarter. Hard to put that on the HC.

12. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

This is what I agree with and what really needs to change.. in the past he's been way too rigid. You can't make the same decision week after week, against some teams conservative play calling and punting late in the 4th qtr while down might be the right decision but he seems to take that coaching philosophy into every game regardless of the situation.

I've seen this too many times. It's an irrefutable fact and a main reason why the Jets were the worst 4 qtr team in football last season. Also an irrefutable fact. You can't pin that on personnel.

13. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

LOL ... I'm a hockey fan and if any of you out there are as well you'll know how arrogant and annoying Maple Leafs fans can be, always crowing about how great the team is...

One poster said this:

The Maple Leafs are like the NY Yankees - minus the winning.

Now

Todd Bowles is the greatest coach - minus the winning.

Let's not go there people.

14. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Other than its two completely different statements maybe you have a point lol. Any HC coaching without talent is going to lose more than he wins. Belichick and others have proved this over and over again.

To say your are the same team as a team with 27 titles when you clearly dont have that history is stupid and wrong.

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Bowles is conservative when he doesn't have faith in his player's ability. Once he makes a decision about them, that's it. Like Petty and Hackenberg were never going to see more than a few meaningless series, because he knew they were sh*t. And if he wants to punt the ball away becaude he thinks that's the best chance to win...
    He'll do that too. He lives or dies by his philosophy. Maybe it's stubborn but in a way I admire it.

FJF likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My birthday is on Sunday (milestone for me) staying in Manhattan: Broadway Show, Dinner at Italian Restaurant in G. Village, China Town on Sun for some Dim sum...Do I check Jets score??

I remember someone posting here a couple of years ago "the Jets are often like a bad car wreck..you gotta look" ahahaha

KurtTheJetsFan and Cman68 like this.
  17. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

He's mostly died by that philosophy as the Jets were outscored by a whopping 72 points in the 4th qtr last season.

18. Nothing is worse than Bruin fans;or Boston fans in general.I long for Sox-Cheats-Bruins anguish..

19. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

Hard to argue with this ^

pdxdrew and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Lets see which Jets team shows up on Sunday. Then we can get back to throwing darts (or flowers) at Bowles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.