Fire in London

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Ralebird, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Looks like some bad shit in a building 24-27 floors high, depending on the source. Building is reportedly totally engulfed although some lower floors may not be on fire. People reported signaling from the top and screams heard. Cleared area expanded as a total collapse feared.

Ugly situation. Wish all the best.

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Residents have been complaining for some time it seems about the extreme danger of a major fire

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/grenfell-tower-still-a-fire-risk/.
    https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/another-fire-safety-scandal/

3. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Walt White likes this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Way to go, slumlord. Horrific. Reportedly caused by a refrigerator explosion in one of the units and the sprinkler system didn't activate. The UK can't catch a break lately.

5. The Waterboy

6. jetophile

^There were reports it could even even go 100+ from people who live close by. I'm pretty sure it isn't gov't subsidized housing, but there are definitely loopholes here that allow the landlord(s) to skimp on safety. I thought that I read somewhere that they aren't even REQUIRED to install sprinkler systems. The F. Leave to a shitty slumlord to kill more people than a terrorist strike for a a pound sterling.

7. The Waterboy

I believe it is public housing but managed by a private entity, probably similar to Mitchell-Lama housing in NY. I was reading that they left it up to local councils and landlords as to the appropriateness of installing sprinklers, sure leave it up to the owner/landlord if they want to spend lots of money installing sprinklers, I'm sure they'll all rush to do it.

TommyJ, JetBlue, RuJFan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the aluminum cladding problem. I didn't wanna subscribe but it led me to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ralian-buildings-is-like-the-asbestos-problem

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-high-rise-blaze-also-used-in-grenfell-tower

9. jetophile

Yes, I believe you are correct on that. It was up to the residents to have their own smoke detectors, and that's pretty much it. You should have one in your apartment regardless, but there was no alarm system and/or it wasn't working. There was also a major f-up with fire safety rules that people should remain in their units - and they did and they died. Sometimes staying put applies, but not here. The plan for safe egress didn't even exist, and one way out was blocked with garbage (mattresses, etc.). These poor people were incinerated. There is a video of a man on fire jumping out of a window. Will. Not. Watch. Ever.

#9 jetophile, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  10. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

11. Walt White

Really, and makes that fire criminal. I didn't know about that. A lot of people probably still don't.

12. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was used in usa. When i saw london fire it was same as local lacrosse fire and nye dubai fire taking off. Lots of authorities trying to avoid responsibility and builders vs building owners fights occuring

Walt White likes this.
  13. Walt White

I'd like to find out about it's use here. Then you have the nightmare of fixing the problem also, if that's feasable or possible.

14. The Waterboy

I believe the one used, polyethylene core, is banned in the U.S. for buildings over 40 feet tall due to the fire risk.

Walt White and Satan like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It looked like a scene from that old 70's movie: "Towering Inferno"

16. jetophile

Starring O.J. Simpson. Partial synopsis: An overworked fire chief and the building's architect must cooperate in the struggle to save lives and subdue panic while a corrupt, cost-cutting contractor tries to evade responsibility for the disaster.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Sadly no sprinkler system despite previous finding from smaller fires in tower blocks. Low income housing in a preposterously affluent area of London.

The Tory government voted against attempts to make social and rented housing fit for habitation and safe to live in

18. Walt White

Doing their best to fix the over population crisis

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The poor pay a big price to get in the good schools.