Final Decision Time: Who will the New York Jets draft at #3?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 23, 2018.

?

With the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...

1. Sam Darnold, QB, USC

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

35 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

5 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Other (Post your choice)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

Mayfield.

If the boatd goes Darnold at 1, other at.2.and.we.have a choice of the next.3 qbs, it's baker.

If Darnold and baker are gone, its Rosen.

If Allen is taken and.we have a choice of next 3, its Darnold.

To sum, my Jets priority order is, Darnold, Baker, Rosen, Allen. Although id rather Lamar over Allen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think darnold will go #1. I am hoping so much we can get Rosen and will be disappointed if we don't, but I have a feeling he goes at #2 either to the giants or to a team that trades up to get him. So I think at #3 the jets get Mayfield. And I will be ok with that, he would be my second choice of the 4 QBs anyway.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

If it's Rosen or Darnold, then Mac will look like a genius. Mayfield wouldn't be bad, but there will always be the perception that he could have been selected at 6. (Whether that's true or not is certainly up for debate, but that narrative will be inescapable.) If Mac picks Allen, he'll be ridiculed.

So, while I hope that Rosen is the pick, I think it'll be Mayfield.

4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Seems like Mayfield is going to Cleveland

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Ohio State, Georgia..."zero defense"?:rolleyes:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

He looked bad against the uga defense in the second half

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Yes, this is the only below average half played by a QB ever that matters. Every other prospect has been the very image of perfection.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Are you serious? So because he got hurt on the first play in the 2nd half - a hard shot to the ribs - and that affected his ability, you'll throw out the 1st half and his performances in all other games, including Ohio State?

Denial ain't a river in Africa.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd argue he showed his toughness by not only staying in the game, but also by rallying the team and keeping them alive up to the very end. He certainly didn't give the game away even if it wasn't his best performance.

10. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Jets will pick Allen
    By coincidence that’s who I also want

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, I understand skepticism, but to just completely dismiss him? C'mon, the kid walked on at TWO major football schools and won over both coaching staffs and the starting jobs and played at a very high level. He set records each of the last two seasons for QB efficiency. He led the nation in many passing categories. His teams won and beat highly ranked teams. Lots of colleges now use "gimmicky" offenses and their conferences are just as bad, if not worse than the Big 12, and quite a few have used them for years. Even though those schools piled up lots of yards and TDs, how many of those schools won consistently, and how many of those QBs, approached Mayfield's level? How many had a TD to Interception ration of around 5:1 or 6:1? Few, if any. How many had his very high football IQ, leadership abilities, or work ethic or the talent that he does? Few.

He doesn't turn the ball over. He makes good, quick decisions and gets the ball out quickly. He has excellent pocket maneuverability and is mobile. He has a strong, very accurate arm, that can make all the throws, and has proven that he can both throw with touch and fire the ball into tight windows. He has the ability to extend plays. He has proven that he goes through his progressions and makes good reads. He is a fiery competitor and leader. He is a hard worker and has a burning desire to be the best. He's the only one of the top 4 QBs with 4 years of collegiate starting experience. He showed steady improvement from year to year in almost every facet of the game, in playing QB, in being a leader, and in almost every stat category.

Is he perfect? No, but then NO QB or player is perfect. While his fundamentals need some tweaking, they are very good. In trying to make big plays or extend plays, he sometimes holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary sacks/hits. He hasn't made as many routine NFL throws as some of the other QBs, yet when he does, is more accurate. He'll have to learn how to read more complex NFL Ds, to take more snaps from under center, and learn an NFL offense. His lack of height will cause some adjustments, but his OL at OK was tall and NFL size, so this won't be as big an adjustment as many think. He'll have to learn to stay in the pocket more and not always try to extend plays. He'll have to learn to settle for smaller gains and what the D gives him, but then he has never been one to force things. He's aggressive, but has been smart about it. He is perhaps more immature than some of the other QBs, and will have to do some growing up and not be so controversial. That's true of lots of players (and regular people) coming out of college, however.

In short, I don't understand why you and others hate him so much. It truly mystifies me. If he was 6'3" he'd be the consensus #1 pick. It mystifies me even more in comparison with the other top QB prospects.

Darnold regressed big time last season. Yes, the play of the team around him deteriorated big time, but Darnold could have raised his level of play, and in turn helped his teammates raise their level of play, but didn't. He has less than 2 seasons of collegiate starting experience. Very few QBs have succeeded in the NFL with so little starting experience. He played in a spread-type offense. He has horrible footwork. He has a hitch in his throwing motion that slows his delivery. He had a lot of interceptions in college due to that and poor decision making, and that will lead to more interceptions, batted down passes, and a lower accuracy rating in the NFL. Will he be able to fix that hitch? It's debatable, and won't happen overnight, if at all. He holds the ball too low in the pocket, and when combined with his small hands, results in lots of fumbles. Unless he can fix that, which again is debatable, it will result in a lot more fumbles and strip sacks in the NFL. He has prototypical size and has one strong season (2016) of starting experience (although not a complete one). How do we know that wasn't a flash in the pan, a tease, a career year? He's supposedly more mature than Mayfield or Rosen, but is he really, or does he just have little fire or charisma, and is just a passive, laid-back individual?

He threw almost twice as many interceptions as TDs and yet he gets a complete pass on that. He has more negatives about him than any "top" QB prospect I think I've ever seen, and yet in many people's minds, he's the consensus #1 and the safest pick? Why? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. So, he's young? That can be a positive, but also a negative. I think he is very likely to bust, and only Allen has a lower floor and is more likely to bust.

Allen is a joke. He has prototypical size, is very athletic, can throw the ball well on the run, and a cannon for an arm that can fit the ball into tight windows. He has played in an NFL-style offense. That's it for his positives. He is slow to process information on the field, and his decision making isn't good, nor is his accuracy. He has never produced at a high level at any level of football. His teams have never been big winners. His accuracy is pretty bad and I don't think he has ever passed the 60% mark. How is he supposed to magically do that in the NFL when very few QBs have been able to make that jump in completion percentage in the NFL? While he has shown some ability to throw with touch, he hasn't done it consistently. More often, he holds the ball too long and then tries to fire it in there. That won't work in the NFL. He'll wind up throwing tons of interceptions, and have tons of batted down and/or dropped passes. If Wentz hadn't come along and been immediately successful, I have to wonder if Allen would be in the conversation at all.

I like Rosen a lot. If Mayfield's gone, then he has to be the choice if he's there. He has an easy, natural throwing motion. Is pretty accurate, has a strong enough arm to make all the throws, is very intelligent both in general and with regards to football, and has a desire to be the best he can be. Still, it takes more than that to be a successful NFL QB, and I haven't seen a lot of other positives written about his play. I have some real concerns about him. In reading the scouting reports and comments about him from scouts and "experts" it's overwhelmingly negative. They question his love for and commitment to the game, and whether he will walk away from the game if he gets bored, can't stay focused, or gets another concussion. Is this accurate, or does the media not like him because they think he's a jerk, or are they anti-Semitic?

His decision making is questionable as he has thrown more interceptions than I'd like and I've seen him just throw it up for grabs when he was behind. Whether he was pressing, trying too hard trying to make something happen, not being patient, or had just given up is open to interpretation. His concussions are a concern as is the previous surgery on his throwing shoulder. He's not very athletic or mobile and holds the ball too long, and when coupled with his thin, wiry frame, could lead to being injured easily and often in the NFL. I've seen a number of comments on here fearing that if the Jets pass on him if he'll wind up being another Marino. I haven't seen the comparison here or anywhere, but I can't help but wonder if we take him, if he'll wind up being another Kenny O'Brien. Both are slow and not very mobile. Both hold the ball too long. Both played in and I think were from California. Both have taken a lot of hits. Both had/have enough talent to be successful, but will Rosen wind up being a frustrating tease like O'Brien?

#71 NCJetsfan, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    MeanGreenMachine88 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol Baker took so many sacks in that 2nd half.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that anti-Mayfield folk can only point to the same half of football over and over and over when they want to convey their point.

14. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

He's an undersized spread option QB who only took less then 10% of snaps under center. History says these QBs fail or are just marginal in the NFL with only very few exceptions. We dont need a f-in project. We need a polished NFL style QB and there are only 2 of them available. Rosen or Darnold.

Period.

FJF likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Watch some film, stop worrying about what offense he ran. It's 2018, there's more college offense in the pros than there has been at any other point in time. And again if you watch the film you see a kid who goes through progressions, has amazing accuracy and can make any throw. I'm sure you're highly qualified but I'm gonna go with the pro scouts that think Mayfield can be a star in this league.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm torn between the short, stupid kid from OK, The big racist kid from Wyoming, The brain damaged kid from UCLA and the turnover machine from USC.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your analysis is a joke. The offenses of NFL teams are utilizing more and more shotgun snaps and less snaps where the QB is under center, and are using more spread offense concepts. Mayfield is not a project. That is one of the dumbest comments I've seen on this site in the discussion about these QBs. NO ONE projects him as a project, and there's absolutely nothing to suggest that he will be a project.

Darnold polished!!! I've seen everything now! ROFLMFAO!!!!

Noam likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Man I stopped reading that post after the Mayfield gem... Darnold is polished? Yikes.

19. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Alright sounds like they will all fit in.
    start the draft already
    Can’t wait

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

This draft in a nutshell