Falcons @ Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Jet I'm with you, but Todd didn't sign Mcown, Mac did. Nobody knows what this rebuild blueprint entails, maybe neither of them know what they are doing.

The team sucks, it's a reflection of their philosophy so Jets might have to start over because of a poor hire by woody.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Although Bowles should be fired, I think Mac gets one more year so I suppose Bowles should come back just so you don’t have a new coach who gets stuck in a GM change next year if Mac gets the boot.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

timelines are important, woody should have learned that with the last house cleaning. either mac and bowles get another year or bowles gets another 3. tough call.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope you asked them to dedicate :I Walk The Line" for ASJ!:p

K'OB likes this.
  5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This is all fun till you break it down to what we really have. The only way this argument sticks is if you were to be completely convinced we have a FQB on this roster.
    My question is...

What makes you think we do?

It's just curious to me because I haven't seen anything from Petty that makes me believe he can be the guy. Even in the preseason, playing against mostly backup players, nothing made me feel like he "could" be the guy.

The thing that really stood out was the fact that, in limited action, he got put out of the game for the second, perhaps third time? That's not a good ratio. How can you take a random flyer on a guy that is so inexperienced and hasn't proven capable of even staying in the field?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Hell, they see him every single day in practice. They know exactly what they have in Petty right now. If they truly believed Petty was the key to a more successful offense, don't you think they would pull that trigger?

Especially, Bowles? He would put him in immediately if he truly believed he was the guy to save his job.

Again, this just isn't realistic. Makes no sense to pull a guy who is playing good football overall, just to "evaluate" a player for the fuck of it.

That mentality is media driven, fans latch on to it like it has some sort of credibility but it doesn't. The media aren't behind closed doors. They don't see what the coaching staff sees.

It's very hard to believe that we have a FQB on this roster at all right now, I hope we do, I hope I am wrong, either way, it still makes no sense go pull McCown right now.

FJF likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We'll never know exactly what we have on the roster except McCown. What can Bowles learn from inexperienced kids running scout team offenses? A better question might be: Is Bowles the right guy to evaluate young Qb talent period. Morton yes, Bowles otoh...

Look, there's no reason to expect Petty ever to play an honest down for the Jets which is why I've been advocating for him to be cut/traded, anything to get him out of this gulag. Hack is only 22 so he can stay in cold storage another several years but Petty is 26 so his window is a lot smaller. Macc had an opportunity to trade Petty in the offseason but didn't. Since Petty sucks, what's the point of keeping him on the roster? Here's another question.. Why didn't Gailey bother to try and develop the kids instead of focusing exclusively on Fitz? Why didn't Bowles give a shit???

As far as I'm concerned, I doubt if this franchise will ever DRAFT a franchise QB. That's not to say they can't rent one or lease one on the FA market but they should stop ruining young Qb's by drafting them and then letting them rot. If they won't draft a blue chip 1st rd. QB, don't draft one at all. It seems the Jets just don't have the scouts in place to identify QB talent no matter what round its in. They should stay in their lane and sign Vet QB's and JAG's for roster filler.

I'm at the point now that I hope they continue to play McCown and sign him to a 5 year guaranteed deal worth $6mil per. I also hope they release/trade both Petty and Hack as both of those kids would be better off selling insurance than being on the Jet roster. They can continue trotting out Forte so he can run into the pile and get angry if he doesn't get his perceived amount of touches. They can finally give Bowles and Macc their extensions too. 5 years each. Then we can pretty much write off the Jets as nothing more than what they've always been. Mediocre.. Maybe they can change the uniform color to beige while they're at it.

At least in a rare moment of honesty, Bowles all but stated that not only will those kids never see the field barring catastrophe, but he doesn't see any value in them since he saw them play over the summer during his QB "Competition"...

#166 Cman68, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    dman928 and K'OB like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I requested "hurt" for us long suffering fans though :rolleyes:;)

Red Menace likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree, but to a point because once we get to 7 or 8 losses, there is literally no reason to continue to play an old QB who probably won't be here next season. The team needs to evaluate what it has, even if we think we already know the answer.

If both Petty and Hack are evaluated, then you know what to do in the first round of the 2018 draft.

dman928 and Cman68 like this.
  9. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

And this is the sad part, expecting that 2 utterly inexperienced kids will beat a 38 year old is just preposterous. Bowles probably didn't take that into account nor did he take the potential of young guys into account. Sure, McCown is better now because of experience alone, but do the other guys have the potential to exceed him? Neither Petty nor Hack are Watson/Wentz/Prescott material out of the gate, that's clear. But if you don't want to see where they stand, just cut them, play a journeyman, and hope to draft a Watson/Wentz with your 5-11 record. It's just lunacy.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

When it comes to the Jets, I'm about as pessimistic as they come, but I'm seeing something very positive in this team. Yeah, they are losing close games but that's the point. This is a team that's young and devoid of major talent on offense and a lot of the defense. Many didn't think they'd win any games this season and yet they've won 3 and been in position to win all the rest except Oakland. Even there, the team was competitive until just the end of the first half. Yes, they've been beating themselves a lot, but that's what young inexperienced teams do. Forget about McCown, he's just a stop gap QB. Think about the Jets loses this year so far, and just add experience and some imaginative drafting (are you listening Mac?), starting with QB, and other offensive talent (easier to find than defensive talent) and this is a playoff team.