Falcons @ Jets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 22, 2017.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I am not sure how he keeps his job if the team continues to lose. For the last three weeks they have made critical mistakes at critical times and that goes back to coaching. They have not gotten any better in these last three loses and that is key here. That was the mandate from Woody and Chris... so if this continues and I suspect it will then in all probability he is a goner and may end up in AZ.

But what really pisses me off is when your watching the OL get push back in the running game for little to no yardage you would think the HC would walk over - like I have seen BB do - and get after them or coach them up .... Yet with TB all you get the sphinx on sideline looking like a deer in the head lights.

I mean how many times do we need to see a RB come out of the backfield with NO ONE within 5-7 yards of him if there even that close.... How many time in ZONE coverage are people out of position...

Like I said, IMHO they are not getting better and with the Bills and NE coming figure another 2 Ls.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So the question is, is Bowles a moron or are the kids that bad?

Cman68 likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah well, it was a old school cartoon about a kat that was in love with a rather violent mouse who threw bricks at her head. In today's world, that cartoon never sees the light of day..

NY Jets68 likes this.
  4. FJF

That’s why you rebuild in year 1 of a new regime when they have some length on the leash. We keep overachieving with the new coach and he becomes a victim of his own success.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and if both of the kids are that bad, whose fault is that? The GM who drafted them OR the Coach who failed to develop them?

6. FJF

Yes

James Hasty and Cman68 like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe the QBs are bad and they are not the future, that's on Mac. However the team as a whole is not a rookie team, Adams, Mayes are true rookies.

The oline is a veteran line, the dline is a veteran group, the LB is a mix, the secondary is a mix.

Receivers and TE are veterans with exception of Anderson, so we can't use the development of young talent as the excuse for why jets suck.

It's a veteran group and they are not playing like a group of veterans with the amount of penalties they take.

This does not bode well for Todd, they are regressing as a team and it will be a matter of time before they mail it in.

8. FJF

I’m with you, I am not exonerating Bowles, he has this team in every game but he has to get them to finish. That’s on him. I was just referring to the calls for petty.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

As much as I'm not a fan of Todd, I find it very difficult to believe that he saw Petty was a better QB and still chose not to play him.

I can't believe that Petty is our franchise QB and Bowles just doesn't want to play him.

FJF likes this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Oh, I think just about everyone thinks that Bowles has always genuinely believed that McCown was the better QB. The problem is that he has a clear bias towards veterans over giving young players a chance, and his opinion shouldn't have mattered anyway, certainly by now when it's clear the team is going nowhere.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Red Menace

I agree that he's biased and as I said, I'm no fan of his, but no HC that has a franchise QB sitting on his bench for 4 years and has seen him for the last 3 years and knows he's the best guy, still chooses not to play him?

I'm sure I can be wrong but if Petty was the best guy and Bowles chooses not to play him, he should never coach again in the NFL.

However it could be that Petty is just not good enough.

12. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

this team just keeps finding new ways to set you up for disappointment - i just dont see how anyone can follow this team and not have a least a degree of masochism about them

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Petty is clearly not a franchise QB right now, but he'll never be one if he never gets a chance to play. And Bowles clearly doesn't think he's any good, but that should be irrelevant. There is no evidence to suggest that Bowles has a clue about how to evaluate a QB anyway.

Cman68, JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The problem with that position is that young, inexperienced QB’s generally aren’t going to be good immediately. But they need to play to get the experience to get good.

When do you want that experience to come? At the beginning of the rebuild or when the rest of the team is better and then a ton of pressure gets put on a young QB to win?

If Petty ever has a chance to be good, better he struggles this year so he gets basic mistakes out of the way in a season where wins weren’t the primary goal anyways.

15. JetBlue

This, this and more this.

16. Red Menace

I agree it should have been done in the beginning, and that's why I stated if Petty is the better QB and he should have been playing but Bowles chose not to play him because he is too rigid in his ways, he should never coach in the NFL again.

It shows how incapable he is of being a top level HC, being entrusted with a professional team is a privilege and he should do what is in the best interest of the organization he represents.

17. FJF

but is this beginning of the rebuild for bowles or does he need redemption from last years cluster fuck? right now i feel like either,petty looks bad enough in practice that bowles can't look the rest of the team in the eye and bench mccown or him and mac are not on the same page as to what this season is. lets hope its the former because the latter will set us back more years

18. Red Menace

I think owners wanted progress, not playoffs or wins and losses, just progress.

If this team ends up with not just a losing record but in the bottom third of the league in all statistical categories Bowles and Mac might not survive.

FJF likes this.
  19. JetBlue

The question is what did the organization tell Bowles was their expectation for the year. Was it that he had to win x amount of games to be back, or would he be given the luxury of playing a rookie QB to find out what they had? Clearly telling him the former would be counter-intuitive given the personnel moves the FO made, so it would make the most sense that the best shot he had to salvage his job would be to show development of his players, particularly QB.

I think the FO left it up to Bowles to decide his fate — survive by showing development or trying to win. He felt he had a better chance of being successful by playing a QB who has never been successful rather than likely losing but showing development. They gave Bowles enough rope to hang himself and that’s what he has done.

Don’t tell the Houston Texans about my analogy; they are likely to argue any reference to rope and hanging is clearly an example of social injustice considering the history of lynchings of our country and thus the phrase can only be taken as a literal expression of racial oppression when used towards a black coach.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. JetBlue

But what meaningful progress can be accomplished playing a career losing QB who won’t be back next year and thus whatever progress is made would be irrelevant because you are only starting over next year anyways?

Progress required playing a young QB because it’s the only way we were going to possibly go into next year with the same QB to carry over that progress.