Fact or Fiction: Are most Jets fans really Mets fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by pimentel79, Jan 26, 2008.

?

What's your allegiance

Poll closed Feb 3, 2008.
  1. Jets/Yankees

78 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Jets/Mets

71 vote(s)
    39.0%
  3. Jets/other

33 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I believe this whole thing is bogus. If you ask me It's a lot easier for a Yankees fan to be a jets fan, and there are many reasons why I feel this way.

Examples:
    1. Yankees play in the American league, Jets play in the AFC (the football version of the American league.)
    2. Mets play in the National league, Giants play in the NFC (the football version of the National league.)
    3. Yankees share their division with Boston their most hated rivals, Jets share their division with New England (the football version of a Boston team) also rivals, and quickly developing into their most hated foes soon to eclipse the Jets/Dolphins rivalry.
    4. Mets share their division with a Philadelphia, and Washington team, and coincidently so do the Giants.

If you ask me the only thing Mets/jets have in common is sharing their division with South Florida teams, they're New York's latest sports franchises, and at one time shared a home in Shea stadium, which by the way means absolutely nothing unless you were born prior to 1974.

Sports fanship in many occasions has to do with a certain experience that drew you to a particular team.
    for example: most of my friends, more or less my age who root for the mets, also root for the Giants. Because they were kids when they first began to get acquainted with sports, and it was at that time that the Mets won the '86 world series, and the Giants won the Superbowl shortly thereafter.

My point: It shouldn't matter what team you root for in different sports, as long as your rooting for the team that was assigned to you by birth in that city. If your a Mets fan you could root for the Jets or giants. Same goes for Yankee fans, 1 sport has nothing to do with the other.

Let's dispel the myth today. I am a Yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers fan. What's your sports allegiance?

#1 pimentel79, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. joeyg94

joeyg94 Member

All My Jets Friends Are Mets And Ranger Fans

Most Of The People I Know
    Who Root For The Giants Like The Skankees

3. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Yankees, Jets, Knicks and Rangers (as well as the Leafs; I was born in Toronto) for me

4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

JETS
    METS
    Carolina Hurricanes
    UNC Tar Heels

5. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I'm going to try and thread a poll. tried it twice, but i goofed. I'll attempt a third time.

6. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Another Mets/Jets guy here

But I think it matters when you came of age regarding sports. If you first started paying attention in the mid to late 80's (and a frontrunner as most casual fans are) then you'll be a Mets/Giants guy. Late 60's, Mets/Jets.

All the Jets "fans" rooting for the Giants are Yankee fans. They can't stomach Boston winning again since the Sox just won another world series. It doesn't bother me one bit when the Red Sox win a World Series, but it really irritates Yankee fans.

7. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

Great point.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I find it as a success driven thing.

The Yankees and Giants are winning teams in NY, as the Mets and Jets have a similar trend in failing in similar spots-- when it counts.

It may be completely psychological.

9. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

It makes me laugh when people IMMEDIATELY assume that because I'm a Yankees fan my preference in football teams is the Giants, although I support the Giants, I am a J-E-T-S fan through and through!!!

I HATE the METS, they suck, as far as I'm concerned they are right there with the Red Sox and Braves as one of my most HATED teams.

10. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Being a DIE HARD Yankees fan I have to somewhat agree with your assessment.

But I grew up a DIE HARD JETS fan, from the 1st time my dad actually MADE me sit down and watch a football game, because I was running around making a butt load of noise and getting on his nerves.

That was around '74.

I've been a JETS fan ever since.

11. NYJets317

NYJets317 New Member

Jets Mets Islanders Knicks

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Mets and Jets played in Shea,Giants once played in yankee stadium. Thats where the ties are from.

13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

jets / jets and i guess thats itt]...i like the yankees but jets season starts when the yanks r in post season sooo no use in following it like crazy...so jets all year

14. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

nice post by the way

15. TheDooner64

TheDooner64 Member

HUGE Yankees fan....and I obviously love the Jets. I followed those teams because that's what my Dad follows. I think most people end up rooting for the same teams as their father.

I always thought it was weird that I like the Yankees and Jets instead of the Giants, but most people I meet root for the same teams I do. I think Jets fans are more hardcore than Giants fans, they're just going with the motions.

And Mets fans are just plain gay.

16. All Star

All Star Active Member

Yankees/Jets/Rangers here

17. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

I'm a Jets and a Red Sox Fan. Comes from how I was introduced to both sports. Passionate fans and folllowers. I may be excused as the Sox fan was my bro in law and I picked the Jets in 1985 after seeing game a game. Bball time with my BIL. Jets down to me.

18. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yankees / Jets

Boston - Patriots
    NY Yankees - Jets
    Toronto - Bills (Pretty darn close)
    Tampa Bay - Dolphins

Mets / Giants

Phillys - Eagles
    NY Mets - Giants
    Nationals - Redskins

Leaves out the Cowboys

Gotta love multi-league rivalries... too bad we don't have the yankee luck on our side!

19. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Myself as well as two friends I grew up with (on Long Island) are Jets/Yankees fans. There's no explanation, it's just the way we've rooted as far back as we can remember. It was the early 70's, neither team was very good.

20. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Jets
    Mets
    Islanders
    Knicks