ESPN officially lists Bowles as one of their Hot Seat Coaches

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Nov 16, 2018.

1. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25269035/hot-seat-check-6-nfl-coaches-jobs-line-2018

^^Pretty interesting article, with some BIG name, Super Bowl coaches, such as Harbaugh and McCarthy. Here is the blurb on Bowles:

[​IMG]
    Todd Bowles, New York Jets

2018 record: 3-7 (25-36)

FPI chance to make playoffs: <0.1 percent

Start a rookie quarterback on a marginally talented offense, sprinkle in some injuries on both sides of the ball and ... voila! You have a four-game losing streak in which the Jets have been outscored 115-43. Sam Darnold is in the throes of his rookie growing pains, and it has had a trickle-down effect on the rest of the offense. At the same time, Bowles must bear a lot of the blame. The team is maddeningly inconsistent on a week-to-week basis, and it struggles on the road (1-4). There's no identity on offense, and the defense is all-or-nothing. The Jets are almost always playing from behind, as they've been outscored in the first quarter 59-24 -- a sign of poor preparation. Look, no one expected the Jets to be a playoff team, but they should be better than 3-7 at their bye week. The team is getting worse, not better, as the season progresses -- and that's deeply troubling. -- Rich Cimini

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Put Macagnan there too..

Then have Bezos buy Team as a long term goal..hahahah

tomdeb and dawinner127 like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Did Bowles trade TB or Mac?

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if only there was a thread dedicated to all things bowles that this could fit in to.

jetophile, Sam Hammer, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Is this like an Anti-Power Ranking?

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Get outta here with this, our offense is no better with Teddy or McCown. Bowles and Bates are the worst coaching combination in the NFL right now.

dawinner127 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bowles checked out week 2.

He should be fired just for his in-game calls and "adjustments".

"Done..."

"Put her in charge!"

"I'm done, Jerry"

"Hold this beer..."

8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Our O is a lot better with Teddy. Teddy is a pro-NFL QB and we win at least the 1st Miami and Cleveland game with him starting and we probably have much more TOP which would help our D tremendously. That's not even the point. The article pointed to SD as the reason to fire the coach. The GM has to go and replace the coaching staff and scouting department. Mac can't be allowed to use the staff as a scape goat for blowing last years draft and putting this O on the field.

Take a look at SF when they had a competent QB vs. trash. Shanahan is a good offensive head coach and they have better talent on O than we do. They are worse than us right now. Green Bay and Seattle are dumpster fires without Wilson and Favre.

Saying the QB doesn't matter, it matters big time.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bowles shouldn’t be on the hot seat, he should be unemployed.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Looking at the schedule the rest of the way, it would be a miracle if the jets get ONE win out of it. My prediction was 5-11 for the season and right now, 4-12 looks pretty good. Either way, Blowes is a dead coach walkin and for the good of the team, he needs to walk the plank at season's end. Macc too but that's not gonna happen as he'll get another year to try and figure out how to be an effective GM.

Funny how some coaches just run out of time with a particular organization. Blowes has pretty much taken the Jets as far as his present skillset will allow and we can only hope both Johnsons understand what that means.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why would you let a GM who's a dead man walking hire your next Head Coach? What happens if the new GM doesn't like Mac's Head coach? They should both be canned together.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

No argument here Biggs. I've been saying that all along. My gut tells me Chris and Woody will opt to keep Macc around until his extension is up. Barring any quantum leaps in talent and play, I don't see Macc lasting beyond his extension as his "rebuild" will require another 5 years or more at his present rate of drafting players that are NFL capable.

I also said "Chris and Woody" in that I don't think Chris has the autonomy the PR dept. says he does. Woody is still boss and Chris for the most part is acting as VP of Football OPs for better or worse.

13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In other news the New York Times is reporting ice is cold

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's absolutely crazy to fire Bowles without firing Mac. If the contention is the coaching staff is incompetent that fails to the GM. If the contention is the personal sucks that goes to the GM. It's pretty clear the cupboard is bare on the O side of the ball and there were some mistakes made in FA on the defensive side of the ball. I personally think trading TB was a mistake but I get why they did it. If you think Sam is the guy why have the potential divide on the team. On the other hand I'm of the camp that none of the rookies were a sure thing and if you luck into an insurance policy you hang onto it.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I don’t like Mac either, but he has no control or power over the coach. Org chart is Bowles and Mac are equals.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In a more normal GM-HC relationship, the bolded is true, but in the Jets' situation with the HC and GM being equals or peers rather than subordinate-boss relationship, Mac has zero control or power over Bowles. That said, I do agree that Mac should be fired too.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to say go ahead and keep Mac around. First and foremost, this organization is in desperate need of a new power structure when it comes to the front office. If they fire them both together at the end of the season, then we're right back to where we started, with most likely another duo coming in that are on the same footing when it comes to reporting to the owner.

Second, there have been times during the season at which this team has played very well. There is talent here, and Maccagnan was the one that brought it here. That talent, as several recent articles have touched on, has been very, very poorly prepared for many of these games. Are there areas where the roster is still lacking? Absolutely, but considering where this team was at the beginning of last season, with many thinking the roster would be bad enough to go 0-16, we're in somewhat decent shape moving forward, having won a few games when the coaching staff deemed it prudent to actually prepare the team.

Ralebird, Attackett and almbleamal like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think our roster is one of the worst in the league, and Bowles would win more games with a league average roster than a league average coach would win with this roster. That being said, if Bowles and Bates aren't fired, they're going to ruin Darnold so everyone needs to go.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's a great roster, far from it, but there's pieces here to build on. The defense isn't bad at all. They're inconsistent, yes, but that largely comes down to Bowles' inability to consistently prepare them for their opponent than it does to a talent deficiency on that side of the ball. The offense, on the other hand, is another story, but one would have to assume that that will be THE focus in the offseason, surrounding Darnold with as many weapons as possible, and continuing the process of getting better.

tomdeb, Attackett and forevercursed like this.