ESPN: Geno worst QB in NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/07/02/geno-smith-worst-qb-in-nfl-according-to-poll-of-insiders/

Geno Smith worst QB in NFL, according to poll of insiders
    By Brian Costello

July 2, 2014 | 4:04pm

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    The Jets' Geno Smith ranked dead last among NFL quarterbacks in a poll of league insiders conducted by ESPN. Photo: Bill Kostroun
    MORE ON:
    New York Jets
    This could be year Demario Davis becomes the beast Rex expects
    Jets expect title know-how from tough newcomer Giacomini
    Jets announce training camp schedule
    If Jets can't depend on Dee Milliner in Year 2, watch out

Do the Jets have the worst starting quarterback in the NFL?

According to a new ESPN poll, they do. Jets starter Geno Smith came in 32nd, dead last, in the league in a poll of 26 NFL insiders. ESPN spoke with coaches, general managers and other executives and had them rank the league’s starting quarterbacks on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the best.

Smith’s 4.48 average was the worst in the group, lower than such legends as Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne.

Here is what ESPN’s write-up on Smith said:

“It’s too early to write off Smith. Some coaches in particular had a hard time placing any QBs in the fifth tier. To them, a Tier 5 QB would be a backup, not a starter.

‘Would a five be an Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell?” one coordinator asked. “I think the way Geno Smith played last year was close to that. He was a rookie and he struggled and some of his reads were poor, but I would give him a four.’

‘He is young enough to make a move,’ a pro personnel evaluator said.”

Smith committed 25 turnovers and was the lowest-rated passer in the NFL last year as a rookie, but he showed promise in the final month of the season when he began running the ball more and made better decisions.

The Jets brought in Michael Vick to back up Smith this offseason and he could replace Smith if he struggles.

This ranking surely will be a battle cry for Jets coach Rex Ryan, who loves slights from the media. Last year, ESPN ranked the Jets as the worst team in the NFL before the season. Ryan and the players referenced it throughout the campaign as they surprised people by going 8-8.

Count on this: If Smith has a good game in Week 1 against the Raiders, Ryan’s postgame press conference will feature a line like, “Not bad for the worst quarterback in the NFL.”

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think for a good portion of 2013 he was the worst but he got a lot better late in the year, I'd put him around 25 or so entering 2014 but they clearly got #1 right.

Jets69 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Geno was a rookie QB with bottom 5 worst offensive personnel around him last season. They're being a little harsh on him here quite honestly. And I'm one of the biggest non-apologists on here. But you have to give the kid a fresh season with an upgraded supporting cast and one year of experience under his belt. If he still shits the bed this season then I'll be soured on him and looking to move on. But he at least deserves a fair shot at the beginning of this season.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm sure this will burn a lot of sunshiner ass. I don't know if he's the worst but yes, Geno was really bad last year and his last 4 games were not anything special unless you had thick green goggles on. He's towards the bottom for sure and someone has to be last. It's certainly too early to write him off but there's a lot of, IMO, unreasonably positive opinions & expectations of Geno among Jet fans.

74 and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Geno came from a college program that was NOT NFL style. He was not getting the most reps in training camp b/c Mark Sanchez was slated to most likely be the starter. The receiving corps was extremely weak last season. Geno had all these things going against him, but his improvement showed during the last month of the season, not just in the statistics, but visibly it was obvious he was playing better. I expect he'll improve even more this season.

6. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Polls mean shit, if he plays well this year it doesn't matter, but right now, there's not a lot to argue in his favor.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It seems Geno has no where to go but UP in 2014. He really looked like a rookie and at times, made people actually miss Sanchez. I'm not surprised he was rated dead last. Too bad Tebow still isn't in the league to round out the bottom. I'm sure this evaluation will piss off the GenoBytes on the board and they will provide endless rationale why it's wrong. Try to remember that the people doing the ranking are folks who actually are in the NFL on a day to day, business level so they're not fans, they're businessmen. They could care less if Geno starts or not, or if he succeeds or not. They were asked to rate Qb's and Geno wound up last. Shit happens sometimes and this should provide Geno with all the incentive he needs to make himself better at the position. If it doesn't, then he should take a long look in a neutral mirror.

8. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

You don't give up on a QB after 2 years....If he doesn't come out and play good you bench him and play Vick.

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

[​IMG]

11. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Maybe the only people they should have asked were people from teams that had QB's with more than 8 wins last season...

n3putts likes this.
  12. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

He wasn't good or even mediocre, he was pretty bad but I don't think he was the worst.

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Well, if you only look at his last 4 incredibly outstanding performances, he was second only to Peyton Manning.

So now when I see Geno I instantly think Peyton Manning.

_

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Quarterbacks I would take over Geno Smith:
    -Tom Brady
    -Ben Roethlisberger
    -Andrew Luck
    -Peyton Manning
    -Alex Smith
    -Philip Rivers
    -Nick Foles
    -Robert Griffin III
    -Tony Romo
    -Aaron Rodgers
    -Jay Cutler
    -Matthew Stafford
    -Matt Ryan
    -Drew Brees
    -Cam Newton
    -Colin Kaepernick
    -Russell Wilson

So Geno enters the 2014 season as part of the bottom half of NFL starters, but I wouldn't say the worst. Not even close. Still has a good shot at entering the top half this year.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Fair to say he ranked pretty close to the bottom. Putting that aside, I can't help but wonder why some people don't give enough credence to last year performance by the whole team as surprising to say the least, considering the fact that it was able to win 8 games with conceivable one of the most inept offenses in the league, from Geno to the receiving corps on down.

Enter 2014, IMHO the defense has gotten a little bit better, faster and younger, and the front line will be even more lethal. So if our offense improves by even a small factor simply by reducing the horrendous amounts of turn overs, and controls the clock a bit more through the run we should be in a very good position to contend for at least a wild card spot. Geno was thrown into the fire when he was not remotely ready, we had no back up QB, and the supporting cast was amazingly unreliable. Enter Decker, Amaro, Johnson, Vick, and a full year of Geno, Nelson and Cumberland in the system, and quite frankly I like our chances. It is nearly impossible to go anywhere but up from 2013.

16. nyjunc

I hope he will not be big game Peyton some day.

where do you see people saying he was great the last 4 weeks? he was clearly much better and actually looked like a starting caliber NFL QB which he didn't look like most of the season. He will also have a HUGE upgrade in weapons this season and be in year 2 of this system. I don't expect him to be great, I do expect him to be a mid of the pack guy and if he is we'll be a playoff team.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So you're taking Geno over these guys?
    Andy Dalton
    Eli Manning
    Carson Palmer
    Joe Flacco
    Matt Schaub

And you want us to take you seriously?

hint: we don't

Jets69, Red Menace and Big Blocker like this.
  18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If he doesn't come out and play good and gets benched in favor of Vick, his days are pretty much numbered as a Jet. He's not your typical 2nd year QB. Most QB's don't start from Day 1 as a rookie. He also wasn't a first rounder so he has that working against him. He also looked horrifically bad for much of last season and that's hard to forget. Geno's in a spot where he's basically expected to perform this year. The Jets will be looking to draft a QB early in 2015 if Geno sucks it up this year.

19. nyjunc

Eli is getting old and has had 1 good year in the last 5
    Dalton hasn't proven to be able to play in big games
    Palmer stinks
    Schaub stinks

TNJet and JetLifeLo like this.
  20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Only ESPN actually wastes their time on such stupid polls like "who is the worst QB?" Go fuck yourself.

fozzi58 likes this.