ESPN Firings: NFL Reporters

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by AJT73, Apr 26, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

1. Kuharskey 9 years on Titans report.
    2. Ed Werder 17 years at ESPN. Did all but knew Cowbiys best.

More to come. Be interesting to see what happens with Cimini and the Jets. If he's let go he'll find somewhere to go. Cimini has his moments but I think he has been better reporting than others who try to get their agenda out there. Wonder if Wilkerson is still overweight? Not mentioning names.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Meanwhile Anita Marks and Stephen Smith are still on the air.
    No wonder their ratings are falling

zace, Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They say 100 are getting axed, twice the original number..too bad it wasn't all of them.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It'll be interesting to see who finds their way through the maze this time around.

2 NFL beat reporters is a shot across the bow of every beat reporter who covers a team in any sport.

Werder was supposed to cover the Saints draft tomorrow night. No idea if they're going to replace him or just go with staff coverage of the draft.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I loathe ESPN. But I do not wish them dead.

6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for people losing their jobs. That being said ESPN got too big and now with cord cutting and everything else they need to downsize and rebrand. Be interesting to see what happens.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

ESPN has brought this on themselves. I was their biggest fan, but the quality is not as good as other networks now. And it is costing them.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Firing most of NHL staff also...too bad not Melrose

Ralebird likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I read ESPN's website a lot. I don't watch their shows much anymore but I hear they've gotten terrible. no surprise. But like I said I read their website a lot, I think out of habit and because I like their interface to check scores and read up on games, etc.

Anyway last summer I was looking to check box scores from the baseball games and right on their front page was a picture of a naked dude's ass... not even hacked... someone from ESPN actually thought it would be a good idea to showcase a naked dude on the front page of a website kept in business solely by straight men. With those kind of idiots running the show at the top, its no wonder they are failing.

Unfortunately all the people losing their jobs today aren't the idiots running the company into the ground.

I also wonder how much they are paying to keep Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight nerd blog operating. I imagine its not cheap. Nate Silver himself on ESPN once used his nerd calculations to come up with this prediction (actual quote) "Donald Trump has a better chance of playing in the NBA Finals than winning the Republican nomination."

how do you justify being a predictive analytics operation after missing the mark THAT bad??

#9 BrowningNagle, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    RuJFan likes this.
  10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Ed Werder
    After 17 years reporting on #NFL, I've been informed that I'm being laid off by ESPN effective immediately. I have no plans to retire

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) April 26, 2017
    Trent Dilfer
    Laid off by ESPN today.Although sad cause I loved my job, mostly filled w/gratitude & appreciation for the 9 years #GreatFriendsAndTeammates

— Trent Dilfer (@TDESPN) April 26, 2017
    Paul Kuharsky
    Knew cuts were coming. Sad to say nine great years at ESPN end for me in July. Please stay tuned to @Midday180.

— Paul Kuharsky (@PaulKuharskyNFL) April 24, 2017
    Scott Burnside
    After 13 years of sticks and pucks can share that as of today my tenure at ESPN is at a close. I look forward to the next adventure.

— Scott Burnside (@OvertimeScottB) April 26, 2017
    Danny Kanell
    Poured my heart and soul into ESPN for last 8 years. Moved my wife and 3 kids to CT to go "all in" 5 years ago. Bummed it ended in 3 minutes

— Danny Kanell (@dannykanell) April 26, 2017
    Brett McMurphy
    After 5 great years, I’ve been laid off by ESPN. It was a tremendous opportunity & I enjoyed working w/a lot of really, really good people

— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) April 26, 2017
    Jayson Stark
    For 17 yrs I've had a dream job covering baseball for ESPN. Today is my last day. Thanks to all the great people at ESPN, MLB & all of you!

— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) April 26, 2017
    Pierre LeBrun
    Want to thank https://t.co/r6GdLhHkPg for 9 fun years. Absolutely loved the gig. And very much look forward to continuing my work at TSN/RDS

— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) April 26, 2017
    Jane McManus
    Super Bowls, The Trifecta and stories like the one up now are the moments I'll take with me into free agency starting tomorrow.

— Jane McManus (@janesports) April 26, 2017
    Dana O’Neill
    Add me to the list. Just got the 'call.' I've been informed my contract will not be renewed at ESPN.

— Dana O'Neil (@ESPNDanaOneil) April 26, 2017
    Brendan Fitzgerald
    I was treated great by #ESPN during my 3 years. Time to find out what's next. Will miss all the great people I worked with! #ToTheNextStep pic.twitter.com/ZIBHFvFZeJ

— Brendan Fitzgerald (@BrendanFitzESPN) April 26, 2017
    Joe MacDonald
    After nearly eight years of covering the NHL, MLB and the NFL at ESPN, it's time for the next chapter in my career.

— Joe McDonald (@MrMomJoeyMac) April 26, 2017
    Mike L. Goodman
    And hey, it turns out one of those people is me. Loved my time at ESPN, and now it's time to figure out what's next.

— Mike L. Goodman (@TheM_L_G) April 26, 2017
    Austin Ward
    I've been informed that I'm no longer employed at ESPN. Greatly enjoyed covering the B1G, and will immediately try to find a new challenge!

— Austin Ward (@AWardSports) April 26, 2017
    Jesse Temple
    Like other colleagues, I've been informed I am no longer working for ESPN. This is a crummy day, but I'll never stop pursuing my passion.

— Jesse Temple (@jessetemple) April 26, 2017
    Jim Bowden
    I feel blessed & privileged to have worked @ESPN and most importantly work w/ so many great people.Thank you. I look forward to what's next

— Jim Bowden (@JimBowdenMLB) April 26, 2017
    Eamonn Brennan
    Bad news morning. I loved every bit of my eight years at ESPN and will miss it, and so many friends and colleagues there, profoundly.

— Eamonn Brennan (@eamonnbrennan) April 26, 2017
    Mark Saxon
    Well, I'm a free agent. I learned a lot in eight years with ESPN and benefitted from being around a lot of smart people

— Mark Saxon (@markasaxon) April 26, 2017
    Jeremy Crabtree
    Six years ago, made most difficult decision ever made leaving @Rivals to come to @ESPN. Even after being laid off today, I don’t regret it.

— Jeremy Crabtree (@jeremycrabtree) April 26, 2017
    Jean-Jacques Taylor
    It's ironic ESPN laid me off the same day as my first partner on the cowboys @Edwerderespn. I haven't been a FA in forever. This shud be fun

— Jean-Jacques Taylor (@JJT_ESPNDallas) April 26, 2017
    Johnette Howard
    I just found out I'm among the layoffs at ESPN today. Enjoyed my eight years there immensely. Looking forward to what's next.

— Johnette Howard (@JohnetteHoward) April 26, 2017
    Derek Tyson
    After 5 incredible years, I was laid off today by ESPN. I met & worked w/ some great people & I am very grateful to ESPN for the opportunity

— Derek Tyson (@DerekTysonESPN) April 26, 2017
    Doug Padilla
    Rough day. Just learned I will no longer be covering the Dodgers. Enjoyed my 7 years at ESPN. On to the next chapter.

— Doug Padilla (@DougPadilla) April 26, 2017

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

ESPN has become the TMZ of Sports News. Look at the people they recently hired, they are style not substance. Feel bad for those that got fired. Wasn't going to watch the draft on ESPN anyway ...

Jonathan_Vilma and abyzmul like this.
  13. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Not surprised but definitely many recognizable names and some really good reporters. A number of them will land on their feet.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Espn has become 30 minutes if mike and mike on the way to work and 30 minutes of bomani jones on the way home and what ever cimini links i happen to stumble upon. They appear to have out lived their usefulness

JetBlue, RuJFan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

whoever they have now on their lunch hour radio show is absolutely terrible. you can't even listen and enjoy it or make sense of it. It's just some inside jokes between 2 idiots. It is a disgrace to national sports radio

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even begin to know where to look for them on a radio dial or TV. I have all games for all teams I want to watch programmed in to record automatically and if it is not one that is programmed in I would search by team name. Can't remember the last time I tuned in to watch or listen if it wasn't for a game. I do go to ESPN.com and use ESPN3 a bunch during football season for FCS games but I haven't watched anything beyond a game unless a show is on in the bar. They have just been worthless for way too long.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Called this years ago. Got too bloated.

ESPN is directly responsible for ~15$ of your cable bill.

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Someone please fire that piece of shit Jemele Hill and Michael Smith from that AWFUL show SC6. Sportscenter is dead.

Dilfer got DIME'd

Btw, Robin Lundberg got whacked too

19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember that. I was really annoyed because they would never even consider showing a naked woman's ass on there. I get that they want to try to appeal to women now and get more female fans, but yeah that annoyed me. If they want to show those pictures, fine, have an article and link to it, but just posting the pics right on the front page was stupid.

I haven't read all the names yet, but I hope Cimini is on there.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agreed, but that's not all.

The next generation of ESPN will prove to be the Disney trademark of cross-pollination between their production ventures, it's going to be even more plastered with comic book heroes, Jedi nights and underage future Hollywood whores on whatever kids shows Disney channels show nowadays.

Like MTV, it has transformed into something that isn't remotely what it pretends to be, and millions of dumbasses will eat it up.