ESPN Draft Grades are out- Jets get B-

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Apr 28, 2008.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Granted it's from Kiper who I consider to be an absolute turd, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3357479

New York Jets: GRADE: B-
    Lining up opposite Calvin Pace, OLB Vernon Gholston has a chance to get a lot of sacks in his rookie season. Tight end Dustin Keller can be used in a lot of different ways and will give the passing game some much-needed juice. Dwight Lowery had a great junior season at corner for San Jose state, but his grade tailed off as a senior. Erik Ainge does not have that wow factor you like to see in a quarterback, but he has great pocket awareness. And he has the ability to make throws when he's outside the pocket. Ainge has a little bit of that "it" factor. Kansas wide receiver Marcus Henry does not have a lot of speed and doesn't separate well, but he caught the ball very effectively. I liked the Jets' picks, but I thought they would have taken wide receiver a bit earlier in the draft.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Too bad Ainge doesn't have that "wow" factor, but atleast he has the "it" factor. :)

3. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Kiper's comments are puzzling to say the least. Ainge was a 5th round pick. Any QB that has the "Wow" factor and the "it" factor becomes a Top 10 pick, right?

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

At least Kiper isn't cleaning up after going down on the Pats like that Jason Cole guy at Yahoo!.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

:rofl:

"It" is better than "wow," everyone knows that.

6. SixteentoSeven

SixteentoSeven New Member

I knew Mel over 25 years ago, and even then he was always a BIG Ravens fan. His best friend actually was former Giant Sean Lendatta.

If he says something about Ravens pay attention cause he has major in with them.

He does his homework and you have to respect the guy.

7. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Umm ravens havent been around for 25 years

8. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Alot of people dislike Kiper for whatever reasons. I, personally, respect what he has to say.

9. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Ummm...that's not what he said. He said he's known Mel for 25 years. I imagine within that time, Kiper became a Ravens fan.

10. SixteentoSeven

haah,well colts back then. he lives in baltimore.

has become very tight with Ozzie.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I like Kiper a lot. He is probably my favorite football person on all of ESPN.

12. SixteentoSeven

ya, not a phont bone in his body.
    you may disagree, but the guy is passionate and really has no dog in teh fight so to speak.

13. twofatfeet

twofatfeet New Member

I like Kiper on the draft show, but his post-draft grade columns are bad. The grading is pretty much arbitrary. He likes the Bills' draft except for two fourth-round reaches, yet he gives them a C+. WTF?

Buffalo Bills: GRADE: C+
    Cornerback Leodis McKelvin is going to be a very good player and I liked the pick. James Hardy is the big wide receiver the Bills need, someone who can be a threat in the red zone. Virginia Tech DE Chris Ellis is a decent pass-rusher, and I thought CB Reggie Corner and TE Derek Fine were reaches in the fourth round. I did like their late-round picks, RB Xavier Omon, OT Demetrius Bell and WR Steve Johnson.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

uhm, that's actually what he did say, but mis-spoke about the Colts and Ravens, but he clearly meant Kiper was a Baltimore fan 25 years ago and not some random period between then and now.

15. SixteentoSeven

ya, was thinking Baltimore more than team mascot name. haha.

Most Baltimore natives disowned Colts when they moved.

16. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I wish the JETS would have drafted Andre Woodson in the fifth but we'll have to wait and see what Erik Ainge can do in green and white.

17. SixteentoSeven

ya, I think this was more a 'quality long term backup' pick , more than a 'future starter ' pick.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The only way we'll find out whether or not Ainge has "it" is to give him playing time. Brady was drafted 6th and wasn't even considered as a starter in the following training camp, and needed Bledsoe to go down in order for the Pats to give him a shot.

19. boomer

boomer Active Member

Fair enough. That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

20. boomer

boomer Active Member

The Ravens are the real Cleveland Browns IMO. They move the franchise and the players to Baltimore, but lose the history only have an expansion team inherit it? Doesn't really sound right.