Enough is enough. Play Petty For Gods sake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Why is this the same story every year none of the backups ever get to play on this team unless the starter gets hurt ... its like ya would think we have franchise quarterbacks leading this team every year ... the Jets will never get it EVER which is why I could care less about a top pick or any pick for that matter ... if we drafted Dak or Watson they would be rotting on the bench ... I hate this team !

LAJet and Cman68 like this.
  2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

How about his chances last year? How did he perform? Or should I just go straight into blaming the OL for everything, which is the fun thing to do in Jets Nation whenever a QB narrative has to be fit.

FJF likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You do realize that when Petty finally started last year that he had zero practices with the first unit in his first game, don't you? In fact, he had been injured and hadn't practiced much at all in over a month. In addition, the OL was banged up, Marshall, Revis and others had quit on the team, and Gailey's game plans were a joke. Gailey and the QB Coach did practically nothing with Petty and Hack last year. Morton said this year that Petty and Hack were for all intents and purposes rookies this year. Did Petty look good? No, but I don't think any QB would have under those circumstances. He did produce a win, which I think was a come from behind win, and the team looked more energized when Petty played. That has to mean something positive.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m sure someone will give you the whole list of built in excuses for petty

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And there it is. I should have kept scrolling

6. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

At this point i just want Petty and Hack to play just so everyone can realize how bad they are the delusion is incredible

FJF likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At this point I just want McCown to play all 16 games so he can get a 5 year/$50mil guaranteed contract. "Best chance to win" and all that..

8. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

I wanted to see Manziel this year. He may have gotten hurt, he may have been out Saturday until 4AM, but he would have been entertaining and that's something the NY Jets haven't been in a long, long time.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

The 5-4 Bills just benched Tyrod Taylor for Nathan Peterman. If McCown looks lousy next week I hope the Jets follow suit...

ColoradoContrails and NYJFOREVER like this.
  10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The OL is bad for all QBs. But Petty gets the ball out quicker, much quicker. Last year with nearly zero reps with the starters Petty didn't perform any worst than either of the vets that have been in the league for ever. He wasn't that good but brought a lot more execitement than Fitz and flashes of what a quick, strong release can do. All that under Chan, which gave him zero chance. So why not invest in him more versus Fitz or McCown .
    This season has proven nothing but that it's time to change QB and CS for starters.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

At 4-6, the season isn't over. I mean, yes, I don't believe we will make the playoffs, but technically they're only 1.5 games out and might even be only 1 game out if Buffalo loses to the Chargers. Until we have 8 L's, no change at QB is happening, barring injury.

FJF likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Petty/Hack must not be any good. I don't think it has anything to do with waiting until mathematically eliminated. The organization knows its not a playoff team. Bowles & Mac just don't want to lose their jobs. Playing a bad QB hurts their careers

13. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I don't think Mac and Bowles are on the same page here. I think Mac wants the young QBs to play to get experience in a season where losses don't matter. I think he chose McCown as a free agent because (i) he's never been good, (ii) he's likely to get injured and (iii) he could be a safety blanket in case both young QBs end up stinking.

I think Bowles is trying to maximize the short term wins, even though by doing so he's hurting the team. I think Bowles' decision is fairly easy here - play experienced veteran journeyman QB or play young QBs with limited experience in a new offensive system to them. If your goal is to maximize short wins for this season then I think Bowles decision is correct. However, if your goal is to build a competitive team for the future then getting the young QBs (and the young WRs) experience is critical and without playing Hack or Petty you can't figure out if they could be any good or not. Also, you'd rather they get some of their young mistakes out of the way in a season that doesn't matter. Mac needs to be able to evaluate Petty and Hack and without playing them Mac can't evaluate them.

Unfortunately, next year the Jets will not be able to evaluate Petty or Hack because they've got a decent nucleus but they're going to be spending a lot of money on free agents (including, likely a free agent QB - probably Cousins or Taylor) which is going to create an environment that the Jets expect to win now rather than develop young players.

hwismer, Cman68 and LAJet like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Our CS does not have the balls nor the vision to do anything but plow thru the near term goal that takes us nowhere. We are living in lullaby land thinking we can still make the playoffs with McCown.
    IMO, even after we loose the next game, the proverbial " McCown gives us the best chance to win BS" will once again be regurgitated and the Petty haters will rejoice while knowing full damn well that sticking with MCCown and lead by Parcel's 1950 disciple will never be the answer to anything but mediocrity.
    It's all good and well to critize Petty while he is sitting on the bench, while tolerating dismal coaching and offensive ineptitude.....because it give us the best chance to win. LOL. The BS goes on and on. Drafting a QB next year will be completely non value added with this dismal coaching mentality.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Rinse and Repeat...

16. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets will draft a QB on the first round and add some wideouts in free agency. Their present backups are not NFL caliber. I wonder why some fans don't get that. The QB coach says nice things about them but he knows that they are far away from contributing. The team is on the right track and can start to rebuild their offense with the draft and plenty of cap space. Be patient.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  17. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

TGG would have you believe that Bowles is stashing Bart Star and Ken Stabler on the bench.

The fan in me wants to see the young guys play. The realist in me understands that Petty and Hackenberg are not NFL caliber starters. Petty is a career back up, and Hackenberg may never be ready.

FJF, All Gas No Shake and hornblower like this.
  18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That may all and well be true, and they may not be NFL calibre starters, but is McCown any better? Here we have a 38 year old player that has never had a winning season as a full time starter???. What is Bowles thinking?

My feeling and thought process is l that with McCown, they are going nowhere fast. So why not at least play the 2 bench warmers and see for everyone to judge instead of placing all the decision making on a former secondary coach that doesn't know a Quarter Back from a Washington quarter.

Then we can make a more refined and accurate opinion on whether or not the Jets need to look for another starter.

Not only is McCown not the answer, he just clouds the issue even further.

#118 BomberJet, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and edray10 like this.
  19. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

McCown is not the answer for the future, but as much as TGG hates to hear this, he gives us the best chance at winning this year. Petty has hit his ceiling. Hackenberg has the greatest upside, but he isn't ready. I'm not a McCown apologist. He is what he is, and that is a mediocre QB who needs the team to be firing on all cylinders to win. Petty would look worse than McCown behind our swiss cheese OL.

hornblower likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the giants are gonna get our qb