Enough is enough. Play Petty For Gods sake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've been saying for the longest that both Petty and Hack most likely would benefit from a change of scenery. Since Bowles stated publicly that neither one of them are capable of playing and McCown is his QB, there's really no point for either of them playing this season. Besides, after a statement like that how can they change the HC's mind by taking scout team reps?? I think the word is.... impossible. There's no way that's gonna happen under the present circumstances.

Its already over for both of the kids here. I think Petty will join that long list of QB's that find success with their second team. Just remember last year everybody said Goff sucked? Well guess what a change in coaching can do for a player. .

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's very true. They both report to Woody (now Chris, I guess). In his great wisdom (NOT!!!), Woody didn't want another mess like where Idzik and Rex were working at cross purposes, so he made both Mac and Bowles peers or equals, of course not realizing that he created the very thing he was trying to prevent.

3. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's possible at all. This is a different system, and Petty improved a lot since last year. I don't think there's any way possible that they can know what Petty can do until he is actually given a chance with the first string in games. After all, players learn the most by actually playing. They get an opportunity to get in a rhythm, build confidence, and they can continue to get better.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

There is also a chance I will hit the Powerball this week.

Tenn. and Jax are both at 6-3, Tenn. has 4 very winnable games and Jax has 5 very winnable games, plus one game head to head. That would likely put one at 11-5 and the other at 10-6 with one winning the division and the other getting a WC. NE, Pitt and KC will likely win their divisions so that leaves one WC up for grabs.

After that you have the Bills at 5-4 and making their yearly second half dive but with games against SD, Colts and 2 against Miami they are probably going to have at least 7 wins. Miami has Denver, Bucs and 2 against Buffalo, hard to say what team will show up but I think they might make it to 7 wins.

Here is where we come into the teams with a better shot. Ravens are 4-5 but have games against Pack, Texans, Browns, Colts and Bengals so even if they lose to Pitt and Lions they are likely at 9-7 but I am thinking at least 8-8. Raiders have Denver, Giants, SD and Cowboys without Elliot likely. P*ts also have to travel to the west coast which hasn't hurt them against Oakland lately but you never know on that. I would still put them at 8-8.

So you might think it looks hopeful with only one of those teams by my estimation getting to 9-7 and the others at 8-8 or 7-9 but look at the Jets. They are currently at 4-6, so to have a remote shot at getting a WC figure they need to be at least 8-8 but likely 9-7 is minimum record they will need.

Out of Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Saints, Chargers and P*ts where do you see the Jets picking up 4 or 5 wins? I honestly see them winning 2 more at the most but likely just the game against SD. You might think Denver also but they have looked like crap on the road, barely getting their only win against Cleveland.

#64 The Waterboy, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

We really don't know if he's improved though. Doing well against 2nd and 3rd stringers is great and its confidence boosting but until we see Petty playing right now, as a starter, versus 1st stringer opposition, there's no sure fire way.

I don't disagree that the best way for players to learn and get better is to actually play. I've argued this same thing with Hansen and Stewart. QB is a bit different because of the mechanics and how different the college game and NFL game is as a QB.

It's also entirely possible that even if Petty does see the field, it will be way too late, when we have 8 or so losses and the team plays with a lot less intensity because it understands they're not playing for anything anymore. Bowles has committed to McCown, so he's either going down with the ship with McCown, or he'll cut the chord when we're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

6. NCJetsfan

I disagree that we don't know if Petty has improved. Petty looked much more confident, poised, and exhibited much greater leadership this preseason than he did last year. This system (or the coaching) seems to fit him much better. He gave the team a spark I think every time he played, they moved the ball, and I think scored most of the drives he led.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

But the point is it's versus 2nd and 3rd stringers with coaches calling vanilla defensive looks. You may be right, but I have to see it versus starters and consistently to believe it. And that's not to say that I didn't like what I saw from him in the preseason cause he did look improved but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if he will be given that opportunity this season, especially if Bowles feels his job is at risk. He may just hitch his wagon to McCown because he feels that McCown is his best chance to win.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate the Pats you have to give them credit for the way they approach teams each and every week. You don't see lapses late in the game. We will never have a team reach that pinnacle as long as Bowles is around. He is incapable of having the Jets prepared. the Pats have 1 superstar and a bunch of player nobody outside of New England can name and they constantly play hard and smart.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, I agree. I would like to see Petty play but I can't blame this on McCown either. When you continue to run the ball up the middle all day when it hasn't worked once that day you don't blame the QB, blame the assholes calling the plays. Bowels should have been fired by 11AM this morning and an interim coach named to get this mess through the end of the year.

10. NCJetsfan

He looked worse the year before against 2nd and 3rd stringers, so I'd say that he improved. What we don't know is if he can play well vs 1st stringers/starters. I do think we know if he has improved or not.

I agree that he probably won't be given an opportunity to play this season if McCown stays healthy and Chris Johnson doesn't order Bowles to play Petty. If they don't play him this year, I hope that Petty demands a trade and refuses to report next spring.

Leicester Jet and boozer32 like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You keep saying over and over that the New York Jets don't believe in Petty or Hack. There is not one ounce of proof that had leaked out to support that statement by anyone. Bowles simply does not know shit about fielding a decent offense or game plan, so there is that.
    But if that were the case without even giving the kids a real chance in the field of battle what in God green earth are those morons at the leadership level doing? keeping them around and hiding behind McCown and Fitz, two perennial losers. Because it's an absolute fact nobody but nobody believes in McC nor Fitz, .....no one.
    If that is the Scenario then they should both have gotten fired two years ago for not drafting nor fielding a decent QB. And what is the plan for 2018....another year or two of an over the hill back up?
    Somehow I can believe there are that freaking stupid. Let's Stop blaming the kids and instead clean house with a CS that knows offensive football and how to help pick and develop talent.
    Does anyone in his or hers right mind after watching Sunday's shit show believe that a playoff appearance with McCown is even remotely desirable never mind possible?
    Bowles is done as far as I'm concern, he ain't hiding behind McCown...that simply is just not freaking good enough.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Geez...may as well play Petty.
    He can hand off for 2 or 3 yard gains as well as McCown.

13. Cman68

No surprise here... Bowles absolutely WILL NOT PLAY THE KIDS barring catastrophic injury to McCown..

Taken from ESPN.com/new-york:

No reason for me to watch any more games this year unless something happens to McCown and the Kids get to play. If and when they make a change at QB, I'll start to give a damn again.

14. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

It's because their coaching staff knows how to make in game adjustments. That's what makes a great coaching staff, and that's why we need to move on from Bowles. He's too defensive minded, I wouldn't trust him to develop a young QB, which is most likely necessary next year, plus, offense wins in the regular season, and, he can't make necessary adjustments in the second half to win a game.

15. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Exactly how I feel. I've never been this frustrated with a coach before, and that's saying a lot. He's not concerned in the least bit about the future of this team. There is no present. We will not make the playoffs this year. So why is he leaving McCown in? To save himself. Every win we have with a 38 year old QB takes us further away from finding out what we have on our team as QB (no, we don't know), and makes us moving up to get the QB we want more expensive. We may need to spend 2 #1s and a #2 to move up a few spots to grab the guy we want (Rosen?). Regardless, we have to do it. You cannot make a deep run in the playoffs without a franchise QB.

boozer32 likes this.
  16. The one thing I’ll say in respect to the “play Petty” argument which you know I’ve remained skeptical of is the report that the jets received trade offers of draft picks for him & turned them down.Just makes no sense to me.If he’s not gonna play here take the draft pick.Somebody “upstairs” still sees value in Bryce unfortunately the Head coach prefers journeymen veterans who he doesn’t have teach things he doesn’t grasp like game management

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Cman68

I guess the prospect of having Mackenberg as your only other QB option behind McCown was too scary so they decided Petty didn't suck as much as Bowles would like people to think. I still don't understand why Petty is still on the roster since the HC obviously thinks he sucks. Petty is taking up a roster spot that could be filled by yet another JAG and then Mackenberg could finally have a reason to suit up on gameday after several years in front of the HDTV.

18. Cman68

and with Petty's next NFL team, we'll see just how much a change in scenery and coaching can make. Just look at all the other QB's who found success with their second and/or third teams.. Alex Smith, Rich Gannon, Bret Farve to name a few. Jared Goff benefited from a change in HC. Amazing what happens when you actually take the time to make a real effort developing young talent.

Its all upside for Petty from the day the Jets release/trade the kid.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You nailed it. The fact that the kids are not playing, right, wrong or indifferent, is because Bowles does not want to take chances and die with a dynasour at the helm. Mac has no say so on the field whatsoever courtesy of that idiotic GM/HC arrangement by the owner.
    I respect the fact that you are skeptical with Petty, I on the other hand feel a lot less skeptical about Petty than I feel about Bowles ability to ever become a HC in this league.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Was at training camp. Petty and Hackenberg got all the reps, so much so I thought Petty was going to start.

Surprise, surprise they rolled out McCown.

Bowles said he saw enough in training camp and what he saw did not wow him (which I think is ironic because Lite-Brite probably captivates him).

The reporting structure unfortunately prohibits Maccagnan from overrriding Bowles’ on field personnel decisions.
    So we are stuck for now.

I still believe the 2018 day 1 starter is not on the roster.

Cman68 and LAJet like this.