Enough is enough. Play Petty For Gods sake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Nov 12, 2017.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Or if Bowles gets stretchered off the field

Centiment likes this.
  2. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree. It 's time for Petty. McCown kept it interesting for 10 weeks and we had hope leading into yesterday's game. We couldn't have asked for more. He did a great job and am happy for him. That being said let see what we have. Give Petty a shot. The Jets offense looked lifeless. Maybe Petty can give the offense a spark. Not sure the oline looked awful. It's time though. No Hackenburg. He will never be ready and will get someone killed playing out there.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That we will pay 10-15M to come back for another year..the POS GM has already hinted at that.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Petty sucks. Hackenberg has mashed potatoes for brains. QB of the future is not on the roster.

Also, no one was running an offense behind that picket fence yesterday.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why wait? McCown just collected his worst rating since the opener; he's not going to get any better. Bye week is here; tell Petty the job is his today. Worst case is that he sucks it up for two or three games and Hackenberg gets his three days in the sun.

I had earlier predicted today was the day Bowles would get his walking papers and he's come damn close but his only prayer now to wear green in July lies with making some moves - even if they turn out bad.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Jets are 2 games out of the last wild card spot. I anticipate they won't make the switch until they are mathematically eliminated.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  7. Ralebird

Which would perfectly illustrate the piss poor decision making throughout the organization.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

How so?

9. Ralebird

Because nobody in their right mind can actually believe the Jets will win out and get in the playoffs. Because this is an opportunity to find out if Petty first or Hackenberg second can make a contribution to the team going forward. Because Todd Bowles needs to step up or get kicked out. But if past performance is any indication the decision makers will be holding their noses, shutting their eyes and running with the status quo with the lame "mathematical possibility" reasoning. I understand the outcome may be a couple of extra losses, or even wins but until someone guarantees a better draft pick will land the savior, I'm forced to look at what's here now and see how they fit into the future. The bye week now could not be better timing to begin working towards that future.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think both Bowles and Mac have a good idea of what Petty / Hack can bring to the table. Fans will see them eventually, but these guys aren't starter potential. That's why you see Mac traveling the US scouting QBs every college weekend. Bowles gave Hack every shot to win the job. Couldn't do anything with it.

Right now, Robbie is having a good season, 4 straight games with a TD catch, he's progressing. I don't think you want to halt that with a lesser QB. But we shall see.

FJF and thedrjay like this.
  11. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I am so tired of watching McCown week to week. I can understand their signing him and expecting him to start the first few games, after all it was a completely new offensive system and they wanted their young QBs to get comfortable with the offense. I even like McCown personally and think he's a good guy and a decent mentor, but he's a 38 year old QB who has never been a good QB and clearly is at the end of his career. It was absolutely obvious all year that the Jets were not going anywhere this year and this year should have been about getting the young QBs experience and deciding if they can potentially be franchise QBs or whether you need to keep looking for a QB.

After the first month they should have been playing the young QBs and, certainly, once they had 3 division losses they should have been playing the young QBs. I actually think Mac has done a pretty good job as GM (he's been good at finding talent in the later rounds and with UFAs and, he's made some good trades) and Bowles has been mixed, but he has the potential to be a decent coach - he makes some boneheaded moves but he's willing to experiment and try some new things like playing 5 Dlinemen against the bills to have them bull rush and crush the pocket. Young head coaches frequently go through these types of growing pains and the hope is that they get the experience eventually to be good head coaches.

At this point, Mac must lay down the law and tell Bowles to play the young QBs. If Bowles refuses to play them now, then he should be fired now. If Bowles keeps playing McCown, then they should both be fired and the Jets should clean house. At a certain point you have to be building for the future and its becoming obvious this team isn't doing that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No one in their right mind thought the Jets would win a game. Or that Trump would be President. The problem is that we are all guilty of buying into experts assessment who are not actually a part of the locker room.

As for bolded:
    1- The New York Jets believe they can.
    2- The New York Jets do not believe in Petty or Hackenberg, so why "see what they have" before the season is officially out of reach?
    3- Higher pick doesn't guarantee a franchise QB.

Now, on a personal level, if the Jets make the playoffs I hope it wouldn't give the team a false sense of security. They need to continue to drastically improve the roster, especially on the offensive line, defensive pass rush, and QB.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mac can't lay down the law to Bowles. They're peers or colleagues. It's not a boss/employee relationship. Bowles decides who plays. Period.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is one of the remarkable things - not only is McCown having a career year in terms of performance on the field, he's having a career year in terms of staying healthy. It figures that the Jets would be cursed twice over in this way.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Well, if that's true then that's very troubling. The head coach should be reporting to the GM and the GM should be able to fire and replace them (probably with owner consent). That does make some of the things we've seen though make sense - like Bowles not knowing about the trade for the CB recently.

16. Ralebird

There are a bunch of people here who believe the book has already been written on Petty and Hackenberg, I'm in the other group. Not even Vincent Fucking Lombardi could adequately judge their abilities in real NFL games based on the meager opportunities they've been given. Until the situation has been laid to rest there will always be two ways to look at the problem. The more chances they get this year the clearer the situation will be in January. I have to wonder, however, how those who have written off both Petty and Hackenberg really see the future playing out. Total reliance on the draft is a crap shoot, especially this year, I'd like to know where the team stands first and that won't happen by watching McCown any longer.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles will either play Petty/Hack when we are mathematically eliminated or not play them at all if he is really scared of being fired. Bowles rides vets till the wheels fall off, they get injured and then is forced to make a change so if we don't see Petty or Hack it wouldn't surprise me. After all, if we are going to be honest about the situation, the Jets tried to give the starting spot to Hackenberg but he couldn't take it and Petty performed well versus 2nd and 3rd string competition in preseason, but it's suspect that they didn't go ahead and give Petty any starter time. They did give him some games last season so it's possible they know what he is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This was discussed at length in another thread, Mac and Bowles are on equal footing, both report to ownership.
    There are many other teams who have the same hierarchy.

19. Rivers23

Rivers23 Active Member

They're not counting on Petty and Hack, they'll just resign McCown until they get a QB they like. Plus, there's still chance for a wildcard spot so that's another reason why we won't see them.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

And therein lies the problem. Chis W needs to fix that now! TB had what 11 days to get this team ready to play and they look like they did when Rex got blow out in that Buff game a few years ago. he needs to go...

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.