Embrace debate: Sign Kirk or draft Darnold?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by macbk, May 3, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bit of a spin-off to the Hindsight Poll thread of Rosen vs Darnold.

If the Jets were guaranteed to sign Kirk when FA opened, but guaranteed to draft Darnold (at #3 spot still) if they wanted to, which scenario would you want the team to take?

I think I still say Darnold.

LAJet likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I was a huge Cousins supporter because I thought that a.) trading up would cost too much and b.) Barkley or Chubb could be sitting there at 6. In hindsight, I'm way happier this way considering we kept our first next year and both Barkley/Chubb were done by 6.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd take Darnold. I'm excited about him and would rather roll the dice on him being the guy than dish out all that money to Kirk Cousins.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I always preferred going the draft QB route, and getting Darnold confirms that. It may be that Cousins turns out great for Minny, but I don't know if the same outcome would've happened with the Jets.

I'm happy.

6-10 once again likes this.
  5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Give me the 20 year old over the 29 year old... Cousins is better now but when the jets are ready to win it will be 2-3 years from now and Ol Kirky will be 32 and declining meanwhile Darnold will be Mayfields age

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I supported Cousins and was pretty upset when he decided to go Minnesota because I didn't think we'd be able to land a top QB prospect at 6. When we made the move up to 3 I was pleasantly surprised and quickly forget about Cousins. If I knew before FA that trading to three would give me Darnold, I would take Darnold over Cousins 10/10 times and it shouldn't even be a debate.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How did you know #3 would get them Darnold? Who's going to win the Kentucky Derby?

LF911SC likes this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

From the beginning I was all about trading up and drafting a QB, rather than signing Cousins. In hindsight I still think it was the best decision. You maybe get 5 years with Cousins playing at average or above average level, but if you hit on a QB in the draft it's 10-15 years of stability with the possibility of being better than Cousins in the future.

The idea of signing Kirk was nice and could have increased our draft potential this year, but think about 3 years fully guaranteed and how much that would cripple the team financially, especially if there was an injury or he didn't play up to potential. I much prefer drafting when looking for QBs.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I went to the future and grabbed a sports almanac that showed us winning five Super Bowls with Darnold.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The reason I was against signing Cousins was that our roster is still a year or two away from being a contender. I wanted us to draft our guy who can be the answer for 10+ years.

11. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed all the way.

Curious if anyone will chime in and side with Kirk.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

20 year old on a rookie contract for 5 years or 30 year old highest paid player ever?

Darnold

LAJet and NY Jets68 like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Kirk and the 6 plus 2 2nds and next years full allotment. We could have had Kirk and built up the oline . Could have been set for the next 3-5 years at qb and layed a foundation for the next one.
    I think Mac handled this year at wb the right way, let’s hope darnold is the one. I think he might be.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, in my scenario Jets would still be picking #3, not 6 + the 2 original 2nd-rounders. Does that change your decision at all?

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yes, but I don’t see that as a realistic scenario. Mac wasn’t moving to 3 with Kirk on board.

16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Good point. I still think many side with Darnold tho.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Definitely Darnold. Age and potential trumps safe expensive just good veteran.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Darnold looks good this year, man going into next season with tons of cap, could really build something special here. The key is winning while Darnold is on that rookie contract. I'm predicting not this season, but next we really step up and become contenders.

Stars are aligning, Darnold I think can be that guy. We don't restrict his game like Sanchez, and we can develop something. A lot of 2nd year QBs get into the SB. Wilson, Wentz, plenty others.

Could Darnold be next?

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Amazing what having a potential franchise QB does for morale. Those three second round picks were absolutely worth it.

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

We would have been a contender this year with Kirk our 6th and the 2nds.

But Darnold and a little slower build will make for a more solid org. And I'd rather topper for our guy over there Skins guy