Eagles must move on from Wentz and stick with Foles

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by SOXXX2, Dec 23, 2018.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

How many picks have been traded for Sam freakin Bradford?!

Some team would pony up serious picks for Wentz unless his injuries are more serious than whats been revealed....

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Foles is younger than I thought at 29, but he didn't do much at the beginning of the season when Wentz was hurt and he hasn't shown too much outside of an excellent run last year. My faith in Wentz is low, but I wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of a full 16 games from Foles either.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ridiculous. A freak ligament injury and then a back injury? It’s not like he has recurring soft tissue injuries. He’s only had 2 injuries, both of which were flukes.

How about we start applying conversations like this where there actually warranted, like with Aaron Rodgers? Hamstrings, calves, groins... the guy has a new soft tissue injury every year. At 35 years old and with so much guaranteed money in that contract, the Packers might’ve made a huge mistake.

BacktoQueens and NYJalltheway like this.
  4. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

So let me ask you a question, at this point in their careers, would you rather have Wentz than Rodgers? I would not. I think the Packers don't win more than 3 games without Rodgers in any of the seasons that he has been there. The Eagles won a SB with Foles who was the MVP while Wentz was drinking Bud Lights upstairs. I'd rather have 3-5 more seasons of Rodgers than 15 of Wentz.

#24 Antoni, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Foles missed out on a $1 million bonus by four offensive snaps on Sunday because he was knocked out with a rib injury. Somehow I doubt that the Eagles will pull a Yankees/Sabathia thing and pay him anyway if he's going to walk as a free agent.

If he plays 1/3 of the snaps this week he gets a $500K bonus, and if the Eagles win he gets another $500K. There's some motivation there, I suppose.

CBG likes this.
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I would 100% rather have Wentz than Rodgers...

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They'll trade away Foles before they trade away Wentz.

The problem for Wentz will be the more Foles wins the bigger the shadow Foles will cast over him even after he's no longer on the team.

The team success they've had with Fo!es will be the standard Wentz will be measured against not his individual play. So he could be Mahommes great but if the team comes up short ...

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You may not have any personal experience with this, but you can't trade free agents.

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I predict Wentz will win comeback player of the year next season, and may be in the MVP conversation again.

There is zero chance any sane GM would trade him away.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wentz is the better QB, but Foles is the better fit for the Eagles and the coach IMO. Probably sign Foles for cheaper then Wentz. Might be able to net 2 first rounders for Wentz ...

11. BacktoQueens

I dunno, Wentz was a lock for MVP last year before the late injury.
    I'd say he's an excellent fit for the Eagles and Pederson.

If I were building a team, and could take any QB in the league, Wentz would be on my short list.
    That's not something I would trade, not even for 2 firsts. They invested in more than 2 firsts just to get him.

12. 101GangGreen101

Wentz is a better QB no doubt, just saying Foles is a better fit. I think they are both good fits, but Foles just seems to see the field a little better in this offense.

13. BacktoQueens

Wentz was literally the best QB in football playing in that system.
    While Foles has proven clutch, he's never going to be at that level.

I don't think it's even a consideration for the Eagles.
    They will move forward with Wentz.

14. 101GangGreen101

I agree he's the better QB, but sometimes a QB with lesser talent can be a better fit then a QB that has more talent. I think Wentz tries to do too much with the football, and doesn't take what the defense gives him. Foles just seems to always see the field better, but Wentz is far more talented overall. I think Foles is a better fit with the HC, and that's not to knock on Wentz. Look at Jeffrey's production with Foles. I am just saying, over in Philly someone is probably saying we can sign Foles to less, build more around the team and get a boat-load of picks for Wentz.

Of course it would never happen, but you know it's in the back of someone's mind.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

When that ball hit the crossbar and fell forward rather than backward Foles made $500,000 (he had already made $500,000 just by playing). Nice work if you can get it.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

That also won me $150. Not anywhere near Foles, but wow, that was intense.

17. WarriorRB28

PFT is reporting the Eagles could franchise tag Foles then try to trade him.

The Raiders seem like a natural fit he fits the Gannon veteran QB mold Gruden had in his first go round with the Raiders.

Gruden will be under pressure to turn things around coming off this past season. I don't see them breaking in another young QB.

I don't think the Eagles will get back much in a trade. Possibly a third or fourth round pick and they'd be happy with that.

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Can you still franchise tag somebody after declining the option on them? Something sounds counter intuitive about that. Plus if they franchise him and nobody wants to trade for him, it will screw them.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Wentz is the better QB. The question is whether these injuries are bad luck, or he's the next Pennington. Unless the Eagles think it's the latter, they'll choose Wentz as they should.

Noam likes this.
  20. WarriorRB28

Someone will trade for him.

Super Bowl champion last year, stepped up late in the season again. Teams have traded for far worse QBs AJ Feely, Kevin Kolb, Sam Bradford.

He seems like a perfect fit for Gruden/Oakland.