DSmiles Pre-Combine No Cousins Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Dsmiles13, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

So I did a draft a few days ago of what our team could look like should Cousins opt to sign with us. This is the alternate mock if he decides to shun us for Den or Min (Highly doubt anyone else will have a true shot). Let's go!!

1. TRADE!!! WE give up 1.6, 2.49, our 4th, and our 2019 1st to move up to IND to grab 1.3 and their 2018 6th. And in doing so we get Sam Darnold QB USC. I just have this feeling that Rosen ultimately goes to Cleveland even after saying he'd rather not because they need someone ready to play now, and Allen goes to NYG because they can let him sit for 1-2 years behind Eli and develop him properly. So we jump right to 3 to prevent Den potentially making a move and we grab the guy everyone thought we'd be getting at #1 in 2018. He's everything you want in your rookie QB, but needs to clean up his mechanics to shorten his throwing motion and sharpen his footwork to allow more torque from his hips. But he has Elite QB potential and if he hits his ceiling then we will have finally found our franchise QB. My dick twitches at the thought.

2. This pick is of utmost importance to make sure we give Darnold a chance. So we end up going with James Daniels C Iowa. Anybody with eyes watching Jets football could see Wesley Johnson does not belong on an NFL field. So lets get the guy who is the best fit for a ZBS and brings the tenacity and pedigree you want from your lineman. Instant upgrade plug-and-play starter and Darnold's new best bud.

3. Here is tough. I'm going to assume we got our CB1 (I'm thinking Trumaine Johnson) in FA as well as Jeremy Hill to pair with Powell and McGuire. So we go in a crazy direction and take Frank Ragnow OG Arkansas. I'll be first to admit I got a man-crush for Ragnow. Allows us to get younger and tougher on the OL with a smart, brutal mauler of a guy who can clear lanes for the ZBS we run and make sure Darnold feels confident in his IOL. Also now we release Carpenter and free up $4.7mil in Cap Space to roll over into 2019. Beautiful. Imperative to get rid of guys a year earlier than expected to reduce the talent drop-off as much as possible.

5. This spot almost makes me want to go OT here with a guy like Desmond Harrison, but Mac needs some sexy picks with skill position. So here instead we'll grab Allen Lazard WR Iowa State. Here's our 6'5 RZ threat with good hands and limited route tree experience. Let him learCn in the classroom for the most part but trot him out there inside the 20 and let him do what he does best right now while you look to make him a more complete player. Also is a good blocker so that's a nice plus.

6. Now you either go for total upside picks, or just look to round out some depth. Why not do both? Without further adieu, I give you Jack Cichy LB Wisconsin. Injuries are really the only reason he's still available right here. Looking at a potential top-60 player if he doesnt fuck himself up this past year. His versatility alows him to play both ILB & OLB, but his best fit would be as an ILB, where we could use some depth behind Davis and Lee, and potential replacement for Lee if he shows no progression in year 3. We don't have anyone behind them right now so he's the perfect guy to either be solid depth and ace ST, or if he gets back in pre-injury form a truly solid steal of a player.

6. We have another 6th due to the trade with IND, so let's grab Mo's depth replacement. An excellent fit here if he's available goes to Andrew Brown DE/DT Virginia. 6'4 290lbs and versatile enough to play end in a 3-4 or inside in a 4-3, similar to Mo. He doesn't have Mo's power or wingspan so he is limited as a pass rusher, but can set a nice edge and follows his blockers very well to not get blown out of plays. Has a ceiling of a rotational end and solid depth DL. Would love to see him learn how to use his hands more, and develop more functional strength.

7. Lawrence Thomas was a fun FB experiment, but he doesn't seem to have a true future there. Let's get a more traditional FB. So to round out our draft we take Chris Warren FB Texas. 6'4 250 with 4.5 speed and a bruiser's body, he would give us someone who will knock some teeth out every play, while also having the athleticism to even sneak some touches and make something of them as some surprise sneak attack-type plays. Had 18 receptions last year to so can also be a sneaky weapon on some screens and do damage at the GL as well.

So we didn't get to really address EDGE or CB in this draft, which means we better have plugged those up in FA. I just couldn't seem to find the value over my other choices. But if we throw around some cash in FA elsewhere besides Mega-QB bucks, then we should be able to come away with some high quality players to fill out those holes before April. If the draft played out this way, I'd hope we got Johnson or Butler at CB, Ansah at EDGE, and Watkins at WR. Also to a lesser degree Jeremy Hill as our bruiser RB. Super Bowl 2019!!!

2. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

You don't get that sort of analysis with Kiper.

Dsmiles13 likes this.
  3. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Two thumbs down.

abc likes this.
  4. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

How about adding to the discussion and actually explaining why.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not crazy about trading up but thats not a bad mock.
    nice work

6. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Whatever happens, Macc needs to come away with the semblance of a franchise QB. So to try and salvage his job past this year (his new contract doesn't mean dick so don't even bother bringing it up) he gets aggressive and gets arguably QB1 depending who you're asking. It won't happen at 6 and I believe the gap between Darnold and Baker is worth the trade when comparing their respective ceilings and projections.

7. abc

abc Well-Known Member

No thanks... Stay @ 6 Draft Mayfield and keep the picks to build the offense for him... but I do agree with Not signing Kirk.

8. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

love this mock all top notch

Dsmiles13 likes this.
  9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

As I have said a million times it seems.. if we pass on Allen we will regret it. This draft reminds me so much of the 83’ draft... Allen is Marino in this case.

10. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

That's a very bold statement. I'm not as low on Allen as most, but I definitely don't share your sentiment. I see him eventually being Flacco. He's not going to be a superstar but he'll get you wins

11. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

I appreciate that. Like to think I know what I'm doing as an armchair QB