DSmiles Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Dsmiles13, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

So this place has been kind of dead lately. I miss the old days where mock drafts were flying around this place like crazy. So let's give one a whirl and see what we can come up with. For the sake of this mock, let's assume we sign our beloved franchise savior Mr. Kirk Cousins.

1st. Bradley Chubb EDGE NC State

Jets have needed a feared PR'er since John Abraham. We're as bad at picking EDGE players as we are at QB. That finally stops now. Chubb is a monster in every facet of the game and clear cut #1 EDGE player this draft. Huge win for us to start our 2019 draft to get the Best PR'er at pick 6.

2nd. Ronald Jones RB USC

Having a 3 down bellcow RB is a rarity in the NFL, but when you get one they do fucking damage!! Jones has the ability to show patience when running, and then burst to break through the hole. He's an excellent fit for our upcoming ZBS that Bates/Dennsion will put together. Not a prolific pass catcher in school but on tape shows the skills that he could be excellent in that department. Like him over Sony Michel due to his propensity to never fumble.

2nd. Frank Ragnow C/G Arkansas

Ideally I'd love to trade down from this pick into the 3rd and grab a future 2nd/3rd for some team to jump up and grab a falling RB/WR talent that undoubtedly will (looking at you Nick Chubb/Michael Gallup), but again no trades so instead lets get our C we desperately need. Ragnow is a mauler with surprising agility that could do very well in a ZBS with some strength/conditioning training. He'll solidify our interior moving forward.

3rd. Alex Cappa OT Humboldt State

I'd LOVE to get him in the 4th, but I just don't see it happening unfortunately. So we reach a bit but grab a guy with future stud LT potential with some coaching and seasoning. 6'6 300 with an impressive anchor and quick feet/hips, Cappa just needs to work on some technical aspects and get used to a different level of competition. Once he does I feel he has a Pro Bowl ceiling and the ability to start for 10 years at LT. Let him play swing 1st year and then plug him in year 2 and get Beachum off the books.

4th. JC Jackson CB Maryland

Early 2nd round talent with a 7th round discipline issue. Grabbing him in the 4th is a worthwhile risk since we have a strong locker room that can get him right. He's got the size Bowles loves at 6'1 194 and has excellent press man skills. Can get beat by good route runners off the line if he doesn't get to jam them first and also is susceptible to double moves, but can be corrected by good coaching and accountability. He's got CB1 potential, just can't let him be his own worst enemy.

5th. Dante Pettis WR Washington

This may be a pipe dream as I can see him going in round 3, but if he's here we should grab him. I didn't like the ArDarius Stewart pick last year and this first season proved me right. He does not look like an NFL player. Just a gadget guy who also has no ST value. So replace the mistake with Pettis and give me a guy who has good hands, good route running ability, and is a dangerous returner to cap it off. He's a 2 bird with 1 stone pick. Future slot maven and return dynamo. If he's gone then replace him with Keke Coutee from Texas Tech for the same reason, albeit different kind of games.

6th. Scott Quessenberry OG UCLA

More OL depth, specifically for the OG position. Quessenberry to me has a ceiling of excellent spot start ability, but worrisome full time starter. Quality depth is all you can ask for in a 6th rounder, and never hurts to do it on the OL where we are extremely weak.

7th. Greg Gilmore DE LSU

Don't know much about him TBH, but it's the 7th round and Mo is a goner, so let's grab a player that can maybe turn into something at the position, if even just a PS player for a year or 2 before being ready to step onto the field. Had good stats in 2017 (53 Tack, 10 TFL, 7.5 sacks) so he can definitely be used as a rotational end rusher or DT depending on the alignment thanks to his versatility, & what more could you ask for in the 7th?

I may have gone crazy on betting on potential, but if they can hit holy shit does this class have a chance to be amazing for us and really get us back into contention and hopefully keep the Dolphags in the bottom of the barrel for the AFCE. I gladly take any thoughts/comments/criticisms ya'll may have.

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Ink it and send it to Macc

Dsmiles13 likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not bad at all!

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Even if we sign Cousins we still have to draft a QB .

Rockinz likes this.
  5. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

We could draft a Mike White from Western Kentucky in like round 6 or whatever, or we could still have a journeyman like McCown or Matt Moore be our 2 with the sole purpose to work with Hack. Either way it's whatever. If they grabbed say Luke Falk round 4 I could get on board with that

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I’d be thrilled with Falk or Riley Ferguson out of Memphis .
    I’d hope Mac would set up Cousins contract with a way out after 2 years or so ... developing a kid during that period is crucial .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and BomberJet like this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Great effort.

Also agree on lack of mocks the forum members have been offering!

Dsmiles13 likes this.
  8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Pettis will be gone in Rd 2. Love the player though. I thought he was a better overall WR than Ross

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I like Riley Furguson, the big sleeper of the draft.

10. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Round 2 is a stretch to me. There's better WR prospects out there than Pettis that deserve it more than he. But looking at this Round 5 just sin't realistic. I'm going to predict mid-3rd for Pettis and it's going to be Bal who grabs him

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Pettis is moving up the charts. He's a great receiver.. A gamer who makes tough catches. He'll go before rd3

12. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, Ragnow is a slight reach where you have him, and he's also coming off season ending ankle surgery.

If they miss out on Billy Price (the combine will be huge for his value, he might reach pick 37), I think you can get James Daniels with Seattle's selection #49. In all the mocks I've done, if I miss Price/Daniels, I'm usually able to scoop up Ragnow in round 3 or 4. Daniels has great movement for a center, and and did a great job blocking for Wadley this season. Plus, he's a year younger and a natural blocker for the zone.

I watched a ton of USC this season (because of Darnold), and I like Jones too. However, I think he struggles too much with pass pro, and that makes him only a 2 down back. My other issue with Jones is that the bulk he's added is only 12 months old. It might not be an issue (I'm nitpicking with a 2nd round pick), but some guys have a hard time keeping that bulk on.

In his place, I would rather one of the Georgia boys. I'm almost certain Sony Michel will be snagged in the 1st round, shocking many draft pundits. However, Nick Chubb is the guy I like at pick 37. He's been really good the last 2 seasons, and there is no doubt he's been less than 100%. If you watch his 2014-2015 film, he was as good (if not better) than Todd Gurley. The guy came back too soon from his knee injury, and looked like a ghost of himself in 2016 (and was still better than most). However, if you watch 2017 film, he was nearly back to where he used to be. I would venture to say, 2018 he will be back to his old self. His injury will make him drop to the 2nd round, but his ceiling is higher than most. He's a good pass blocker, and I would say he's also a good pass catcher given the chance. Georgia was fortunate enough to have Michel, so they didn't have to bother with a "good" pass catcher, when they had a "great" one on the sidelines.

Just my 2 cents. I liked where you were going! I don't get to post much anymore, but man I love this stuff!

13. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Guess we'll see in 2 months. That's why I love the offseason. No fucking clue what could happen.

westiedog1 and Murrell2878 like this.
  14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I don't really want anything but offence in the first but I could definitely get on board for an impact pass rusher.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

I'm also on board for wanting Off in the 1st, but Barkley more than likely won't happen and only other prospect worth it that's a non-QB is Nelson. Skill position-wise it'd be smarter to trade down with say Ari and then grab Ridley while accumulating more picks. I'd love a trade down if Barkley Chubb & Nelson aren't on board. No thanks to Fitzpatrick as the more I look at him, the more I realize he's not a fit for our team at this juncture. We need outside help and he projects best at slot CB, where we currently have Skrine. Rather fill an existing hole then replace a player.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i like, thanks for sharing!

we dont have a fifth round pick, tho

17. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Since when??

18. abc

abc Well-Known Member

a "plodder" @ #6, no thanks.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’ll take it if we sign Cousins. If we don’t we need a QB.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Don't we have a 5th from Dallas due to last drafts trades?