Drew Brees highlights

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 16, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Everytime a short QB comes out he is compared to Drew Brees. I contest that Drew Brees is one of the best QBs in the history of the sport, and we will probably never see another player like him in our lifetime.

Look at these highlights and compare them to the Mayfield highlights that everyone has seen. Can you notice a difference?

Watch how Drew on almost every throw stays in the pocket until the last minute willing to take a hit. Also look at the contested throws he made in a defensive conference.

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Midget

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

FJF likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

also worth nothing about brees

1) he looked much better on college film then mayfield
    2) he has huge hands (10 1/4 inch compared to mayfields 9 1/4 inch)
    3) he ran a semi-pro style offense at purdue
    4) he wasn't very good his 1st 3 years (2 years as a starter after sitting a year)
    5) he was a 2nd round pick not a top 3 pick
    6) He didn't see real sucess until leaving the team that drafted him and going to the saints with sean peyton and playing 9 games a year in a dome minimum.
    7) The chargers drafted rivers (well eli but that's a whole different thing) because they didn't believe in brees
    8) his record in SD was terrible

as good as he wound up, he didn't do any of it for the team that drafted him NY isn't going to have patience of 4-5 years for a QB to land. When we draft a QB i'd say they get 3 years max (1 sitting 2 as a starter) to prove their worth before we draft another one.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame Midget

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So are you suggesting Mayfield belongs in the 2nd or 3rd round like Brees was the day he got drafted? lol Its interesting you call the Big 10 "a defensive conference" like all of the Big 12 Teams are just lying down on defense..plus Brees was no way as talented as Mayfield or as accomplished coming out of college or else he would have ranked higher..I dont really see your point. Conversely, an argument could be made that if Mayfield was dumped into the 2nd 3rd round he STILL would be a good pick

If you really want to check something out watch how Mayfield knocked off Ohio State Univ, also from big 10, and considered the best college defense at the time

"Watch how Drew on almost every throw stays in the pocket until the last minute willing to take a hit. Also look at the contested throws he made in a defensive conference"

Right..so Mayfield should just stand in there and wait to be hit? If he is a bit more mobile than Brees why cant he used that to his advantage?

7. GasedAndConfused

I think mayfield is a high 2nd round talent who will be over drafted due to positional need. Brees was drafted as the 1st pick in the 2nd round and was considered the 2nd best QB in the draft (behind vick who went 1st overall) Brees was a better prospect then mayfield is. Mayfield is considered by most to be the 4th best QB in this draft (consensus big board http://www.nflbigboard.com/) msot times that lands you in the 2nd or 3rd round easily. but it's a good QB class. Brees is also a bit more mobile then mayfield but the difference in taking a hit and delivering a throw from the pocket compared to bailing out is the difference in a long TD or an incomplete. The best Qbs stand in the pocket and take the hits to make the big throws. FWIW allen isn't worth a top 5 pick either but it seems he is going there. Allen is more of a mid to late 1st rounder. Even if you look at the post i made form the ESPN article and Qbs draft grade with their draft position you'll see how much of a reach it is.

It's funny you mention ohio state, I just did watch that video and made a post about it

JethroTull and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. JethroTull

I wouldn’t knock Brees’ time in San Diego or bring up the dome. Drew Brees is one of the best QB’s I have ever seen, and would have been great even without Sean Payton. Did getting away from Marty Schottenheimer and Cam Cameron help him? Absolutely, but don’t forget how hideous those San Diego teams were early in his career.

9. GasedAndConfused

I'd say far from it. they didn't have much offense but he had great skill position players. I mean he was drafted with LT.

on top of that,
    he went 8-8 as a rookie despite playing poorly
    then played poorly year 2 as a starter and went 4-12 forcing them to draft a QB 1st overall (rivers essentially)
    year 3 was his best year he went 12-4 so they tagged him
    year 4 he played good but blew out his shoulder the final week. they went 9-7
    his overall record 33-27 wasn't bad despite not playing well
    they year after he was gone they went 14-2
    they made the playoffs 4 years in a row after brees was gone going a combined 46-18 (rivers 1st 4 years starting)

so over the 8 year span of bees starting 4 then rivers starting 4, they were much better with rivers. Now the chargers have fallen into a sucky team, but when brees was there, they were pretty good

10. JethroTull

Baker is the best QB in the draft bar none outside the pocket. You just don’t see a lot of accurate throws from him inside the pocket unless his first read is wide open.

Georgia kept him in the pocket in the 2nd half of the Rose Bowl and he couldn’t do anything outside of a dink and dunk here and there.

11. GasedAndConfused

that's a pretty big issue since as an NFL QB you play mostly from the pocket. Also don't knock darnold, jackson, or allen's ability outside the pocket. The only one who hasn't shown a strong out of pocket game is Rosen, but becuase he moves in the pocket so well and stands in to deliver throws.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mayfield is more-so San Diego Drew Brees (not a bad player BTW), not the New Orleans version. It would take great coaching and a great system to get him there.