Drafting Eric McCoy Center Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Samuscdarnoldfollower, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Samuscdarnoldfollower

This guy is a 3 year starter who can play both Center and guard. He is a hard worker with smarts, and graduating in 3years. Was a captain of the team last year and showed elite athleticism during the combine....I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets drafts him in the round 3.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's supposedly the 3rd best center in the draft. Elgton Jenkins and Garrett Bradbury are supposedly better. Bradbury is slated to go in the bottom of the 1st round or 2nd round. Jenkins and McCoy will probably go in the 3rd round, but with the shortage of quality OL in the NFL, one or both could go in the 2nd round.

3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd be on board for moving up into the 2nd for one of them. Just using the trade value chart as a guide, they could move up to around the 20th pick of the 2nd round if they traded both 3rds.

If they walked away from the draft with a starting center and Josh Allen, it would be hard to complain.

BacktoQueens and Sam Hammer like this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

With so many holes and to draft only 4 players in the draft? While it doesn’t address two big holes , we haven’t necessarily filled in the other holes.

5. NCJetsfan

The Jets cannot afford to trade up because Mac screwed the pooch in FA. Trading up is a horrible idea and the worst possible thing they could do imo. That would be a Tanny-esque move.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I disagree.

Just drafting more players doesn't mean anything, look at the draft a few years ago when they had 12 picks. I'd rather them identify someone as being a starter and then move up to get him.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mac screwed the pooch in FA?? Uh what? I’m not sure how any reasonable fan can say Mac screwed the pooch in FA when he signed the two best FAs available as well as best slot WR and traded for best OL that changed teams.

So he screwed the Pooch because he didn’t address center yet? in which Mitch Morse is only average and is now the highest paid center and while Paradis is above average he apparently has an injury concern which was a big factor in his own team letting him walk.

Jets fans are dumb.

BacktoQueens, b.reyes16, FJF and 3 others like this.
  8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Macc didn't land every single top FA at every position of need. That makes him horrible.

b.reyes16 and FJF like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m of the opinion Mac did pretty well in FA. You are correct in regards to center. Morse is way over rated and it seems Paradis simply didn’t want to come to NY. The other centers available seem to be in decline and I think Mac is very hesitant to add a declining player in FA as he should be. Even with Le’Veon Bell the contract is designed to where he can get out after two years I think. I think Mac plans on drafting a center .

That being said it is a slight gamble on his part. He cannot trade up to get one - those two picks in the third round are too valuable especially considering there is no second round pick. Mac need to hit on at least 3 of his top 4 picks. I would say the Jets in this draft need to get their EDGE guy, a center, a #2 CB, and another RB to spell Bell as I don’t think McGuire can handle a full load in the event Bell misses a few games. I think this is very doable in regards to the positions where the most talent is available this year .

Other needs such as a # 1 WR and a new LT will have to wait until next year as you can’t fix everything at once .

Attackett and CotcheryFan like this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One thing that is overlooked about free agency - a team does not want to spend every dime that’s available. Aside from what is needed to sign draft picks - you want a little left over to carry into the following year or you’re gonna wind up with your hands tied and having to lose some valuable players or depth. Don’t think Mac isn’t already thinking of Jamal Adam’s new contract which is coming up soon ......other than Moseley most of these FA contracts are very team friendly .

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

You also need to keep a little in reserve in case a player goes down with a season ending injury and you have to go out and sign another player right away.

BacktoQueens, CotcheryFan and mrjet80 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Just because he signed two great FAs doesn't mean that his job is done and that he should rest on his laurels. IMO Mac is the dumb one because he doesn't understand the importance of the OL.

The center position has been a black hole the last 2 seasons and really since the last year Mangold played. We all know that Mac really doesn't make the OL a priority, which is criminally stupid when you have a FQB prospect you just drafted. He had a chance to sign the two best FA Cs last year and passed on both, opting to get cheap. Then this year, he has put himself in a position where he has to draft a C. No quality, intelligent GM would do that, particularly when we don't have a 2nd round pick, and pressure up the middle can be the most devastating for a QB. If you can't understand that, then I'm not the one who is dumb.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

It's fine that you disagree. That's what makes the world go round. The more players you draft, the more chances you have to get players that can help you. Trading up as Tanny did is dumb. It leaves your roster with little or no depth, and if you miss on that player, you're really screwed.

Idzik conducted the draft where we had 12 draft picks. Any half decent GM would have really helped build our roster with that draft. With that many picks he could have afforded to trade up a little in a round or two, but he also could have stayed put and upgraded the talent level on the team. Because he's clueless he wasted 11 picks. IMO you can't make your decisions based on what one moronic GM did in the draft.

14. Attackett

Do you realize that both of those centers from last year were two of the worst centers in the league last year and not even remotely worth the amount they were paid?

Did you forget that the first move Mac made this offseason was trading for the best OL that changed teams this offseason?

I would’ve liked to sign Paradis but I don’t know enough about the circumstances that led to the Jets bowing out and neither do you. I do know a writer with strong ties to the Broncos has said that the Broncos were not convinced he would be healthy and that’s why they didn’t try to resign him.

The fact is Mac has had a great offseason so far and obviously is not done. You cannot fix every need in FA and it’s ridiculous to think he “screwed the pooch” this offseason.

BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I like Bradbury better than McCoy and I do t like Bradbury all that much, yet somehow both have late first early second round grades. Not much change he is there at our third rounder.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, I'm quite aware of all those things. I never said that Pardis or Morse were the be-all or end-all of Centers, or that Mac had to sign one of them. I also never said that every need can be fixed in FA, but most good GMs attempt to. They at least sign a player for competition and to insure that they aren't forced to have to draft a player at that position. John Sullivan is a solid Center however and Harrison can only dream of playing Center as well as Sullivan. Sullivan would make a nice stop gap.

I have complimented Mac on trading for Osemele, signing Mosley, Bell, Crowder, and even Bellamy looks like a good signing. I like the re-signing of Henry Anderson and Steve McLendon. I don't blame Mac for Barr changing his mind, and don't blame Mac for not overpaying Jason Myers or for not re-signing Roberts. I don't understand signing Poole rather than Bryce Callahan or Darqueeze Dennard, but maybe Greg Williams was the one that pushed for that, so I'm willing to give Mac a pass on that.

I do think he has screwed the pooch in terms of the center position, edge rusher, and to a lesser extent, CB since he hasn't signed any outside FAs at those positions, but not the overall FA period. Mac did sign Poole to play slot CB, but no CB to be the #2 CB, and I question whether Roberts is good enough. Mac did re-sign Copeland as depth at OLB. Copeland's a decent player, but I don't think he's better than Shaq Barrett or Justin Houston. I also don't think it wise to set yourself up to have to draft players at two positions in the draft with each probably being a starter. That is something that no good GM does. It's totally unnecessary. I'm not saying that he should have signed a big name FA just for the sake of signing a big name and because we had the cap space. I do think he should have signed Sullivan and Barrett at a minimum so there was at least two deep at every position and he wouldn't be forced to have to draft players at those two positions in the draft. Mac could still draft players at those two positions, but he would have had the freedom not to have to. If some team releases a C between now and the draft and Mac signs him, great, but the chances are few players will be released between now and the draft. Mac can't just wait and hope for a camp cut, either. If he doesn't sign a second C now, then he will have to draft one unless he's planning on starting Harrison with Toth as the backup, and imo that would be the dumbest, riskiest move (for Sam's health) of all.

Perhaps "screwed the pooch" is too strong, but I do think he's making some mistakes in FA. He seems to be resting on his laurels of signing Crowder, Mosley and Bell.

Attackett likes this.
  17. Attackett

I can assure you that Mac is not resting on his laurels . He is on to the second phase of FA in which he did a pretty solid job of last year.

I would say he hit a home run in first phase of FA. I would’ve said grand slam if he signed Paradis but as is it was a hard hit home run. Can’t judge him on the second phase yet obviously.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said in your last post. My issue was with “screwed the pooch” which I thought was not only unreasonable but outright wrong. I think it’s widely believed that he did a fantastic job in the first phase of FA bringing in elite talent in their prime which is what the first phase of FA should be about. I do wish he signed Paradis who is not an elite talent but was best available at a very important position of need but like I said I don’t know enough about the circumstances that led to him bowing out.

The second phase should be about filling needs with guys that can contribute until long term answers can be found. I’d be surprised if we go into draft with just Harrison at C, whether it’s Sullivan or Sitton or someone else we will see.

NCJetsfan likes this.