Drafting Darnold at #3 did one thing for sure....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, May 1, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I can deny anything you say.

You’re wrong but that’s fine.

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

I can be skeptical and hopeful, I don't know what bullshit you are calling for?
    Rosen was my first pick, so what.
    He isn't a Jet, I've moved on to Sam, who is a Jet.
    I don't root for individual players, it's the team. If you think for one minute that I don't want Sam to be like Marino or Montana, you have no idea.
    I've been a fan of this team a very very long time, and unlike a bunch of others on this board, I wasn't threatening to never be fan of this team anymore if we didn't draft "so and so".
    I could truly care less what the names are on the jersey, it's wins or losses. Period.
    Call that bullshit all you want!

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

There are 3 ways to learn

Visual- those who learn by seeing
    Auditory- those who learn by listening
    Kinesthetic- those who learn by doing

Obviously all 3 are used in some ratio

Don’t assume he needs to be there week 1 to learn. That’s just incorrect logic.

To play a sport you have to take into account confidence and readiness.

If you send someone out with a bad line and bad receivers and bad team, you could destroy the talent physically or emotionally.

There are sports psychologists for a reason

Please stfu with the “play week 1” stuff.

Just play the kid when ready. Week 1 or week 16. Don’t be that moronic grunt who says he must start week 1 for “experience”. It shows your true lack of intelligence of how people learn and develop.

Peace

4. tbruner12

In college

5. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

A very bad one.

NYJetsO12 and tbruner12 like this.
  6. tbruner12

If you say so

7. tbruner12

And how do you gain confidence again? By completing the tasks successfully, over and over again.
    Not mentally over and over again in your mind, that's fantasy.
    If he can play better than what we have, he should be on the field.
    If McCown can put up the numbers he had last year with the crap he was surrounded with, we have upgraded ever so slightly, maybe Sam can too.
    Him standing for the red shirt year for the sake of it, is retarded.
    Darnold and Rosen were the two most likely to hit the field day one. Let's hope that is true.

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Under the current CBA, I believe Darnold is still allowed to wear a jock and touch footballs in practice if he doesn't actually play in regular season games. I get the impression some people think it's a complete waste of time if he participates completely in every practice and then watches games on the sideline.

Is it the same people who think we have absolutely zero idea how good Hack is because he was never allowed to throw regular season passes? Maybe he's Marino! We have no way of knowing!

9. tbruner12

Practice is one thing, playing is a totally different animal. I hope Sam hits the ground running and never looks back. McCown and Ted can be good insurance policies.
    Hack has obviously proved he isn't Marino in his practice reps.
    He proved that so well, they have sent him back to Pop Warner to work on his throwing motion. Lol

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I agree that playing in games is different, and that stepping into the fire at age 21 in New York is a very big deal.

I understand the argument for starting darnold out of the gate. It’s compelling. It makes sense.

But it seems that many don’t understand the argument for redshirting him. They give no weight to the potential benefits, which, to me, are plentiful.

Personally, I am glad these fans aren’t running the team. But we’ll see what happens.

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

And for the Seattle Seahawks in 2010. Shanahan also delegated play calling responsibilities to him in when he was the Broncos QB coach in 2008; the Broncos had the #1 offense in the AFC that year.

12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The last thing you want to do is play him when he is unprepared and shell shock the kid. First he has to learn the offense and how to make adjustments with it. I would expect by next season for him to start or this was a bad pick.

He will get some chances to learn the offense during training camp, preseason, and the season. The Jets also need to ensure the kid and the rest of the QBs have decent weapons and a decent offensive line.

Patience grasshopper!

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I say 5 or 6 game leeway and if we are way ahead in a game (lol wishful thinking) have him go in like Reid had Mahomes play a little then get a first start

Sorry guys..if there is EVER a definition of an IMMEdiate IMPACt player it is the dude you get in the first 10 picks

He should be CAPABLE of starting immediately imo

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think the schedule is going to factor into the decision on when Darnold sees the field. If he is ready to go week 1, he should start. The first 3 games (Lions , Dolphins and Browns) will give him an opportunity to get some NFL experience before the tough stretch. If he doesn't start week 1, he should not see the field before week 8. Don't need a rookie QB learning against the Jags week 4 , Broncos week 5 and the Vikings week 7.

15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm warming to the idea of starting Darnold, even if the competition is close. The thing is that, if the CS does decide to play him week #1, he's going to need a very long leash because the schedule, at least right now, doesn't appear to be filled with either cupcakes or cakewalks.

They'll also need to believe that he can play through, and win some multiple error games. (In that sense, it'll be a character evaluation and then building. Maybe akin to how Ben received training -- and partly, half, like how Eli and Goff -- as opposed to Rivers and Rogers.) But it could be good for the franchise in the long term.

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Speaking of Ben's training, anyone who questions what McCown brings to the Jets and Darnold this year, and questions whether he was worth resigning for the contract he received, check out this article and compare with McCown:

http://si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/ben-ro...eelers-quarterbacks?__twitter_impression=true

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That just makes me want to whip the Steeler's asses - and help Roethlisberger to an earlier retirement - even more. What an asshole!

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Nobody ever accused Roethlisberger of being a nice guy ...

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It should be interesting to see how the snaps go this preseason. While mcCown is the default #1, is he willing and or will the staff allows Darnold and Bridgewater to get the bulk of snaps? And if they do well, how does that complicate things? Remember last year Hack didn't do much to help his cause and Petty did his damage against the backups backups. If Bridgewater comes in and lights up the 1's as is Darnold... That's gonna be an interesting dilemma.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Last year McCown didn't relly get a lot of snaps til the end after Hack/Petty proved they weren't ready. He really didn't need them except to get in tune with the O heading into the season. Hopefully Teddy is close to 100% and gets time, along with Darnold, with McCown ready to go if he's needed to start. I think the ideal scenario would be for Teddy to prove he's back and get the nod which buys some time for Darnold to adjust some more. Either way I expect Darnold will get a chance to observe McCown or Teddy prepare for the beginning of the season as the starter

#100 Walt White, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018