Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AJT73, Mar 15, 2018.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

So with the moves we made I think we can explore draft options and what we might do. I don't think anything we do with the rest of free agency will change our plan or plans for the draft. We'll sign another cb be it Claiborne or someone else, probably a tight end be it ASJ or a lesser known player and someone to play DE/OLB. After that they will probably sign some lowe level and cheaper free agents for depth and special teams.

As for the draft I think it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Here is what I think now:
    1. Browns: Darnold
    2. Giants: Allen (I think the Giants could go Barkely to continue their win now mantra or trade back for Denver, Buffalo or someone else to jump up. That being said I'll put a qb here because the Giants won't be picking at two again and have another chance for Eli's heir apparent).
    3. Colts: I think this is where the craziness begins. Do they go Chubb to help the defense? Do they go Barkely if he is there to pair with Luck? Or do they trade back even to Denver to still get their guy and get a few picks or does Buffalo blow them away or do the Jets offer them something. The draft will swing with the Colts.
    4. Browns: If the three qbs go do they go for Barkely. Do they drop back a spot, take a trade from Buffalo or the Jets. Again the draft could swing here too.
    5. Broncos: Do they trade up and get the qb? Do they stay and see if Barkely or Nelson falls to them. Other areas of need.
    6. Jets: Do they trade up? Do they stay?

Two big questions for the Jets. I am not sure the answer but there are a few scenarios.

A. Trade up to 3 or 4. If we do that we'll give up 6 our two second rounders probably and another pick or two.
    B. Stay where we are and take the best available. That being the guard Nelson, or someone else.
    C. Stay at 6 and then trade back into the first round for a player like Lamar Jackson.

I think those are the three scenarios for the draft. At this point I'm not sure what I would like to do. Part of me want to get to 3 or 4 for Rosen or Mayfield.

Part of me wants to keep all of our picks because we need to get younger and need as many picks as we can get and the other part of me is ok with picking someone at 6 and then coming back into the first round for a qb or even trading down for that qb. I think the Dolphins or Cardinals will take Jackson so the Jets couldn't go lower than 11 with the Dolphins or 15 with the Cardinals. Many options and many of thoughts over the next 41 days until the draft. What do you guys think? Why we had to win a game or two extra. We wouldn't be in this no mans land.

twown likes this.
  2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we are taking a QB round 1 or 2. If we want one round one I think we move up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd only be happy with option A. I'd be royally pissed at option B, and beyond pissed with option C. I don't want Jackson at all, I don't care if he falls to the 4th round and we could get him there.

4. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Trading up is the only option. Anything else is a major fuck up unless they believe Bridgewater is the future. I like the guy but i wasn't convinced he was a franchise QB even before he got injured. Move up, get your QB.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Another option you left out is the Jets trading down from 6. A scenario that seems pretty tempting to me is exploring a trade with Arizona, getting their 1st, 2nd and 1st next year. Arizona is pretty desperate and look to be a trainwreck, getting next years first from them would be highly desirable. At 15 the Jets can target someone like Jackson or Rudolph while having 3 2nds to work with to continue building the team.

Something to consider..

Lee Savit, tooooon, BudJet and 3 others like this.
  6. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. I could get behind this. Do I want a future franchise qb. For sure. Are the top 4 one? I don't know. I'm willing to wait until 6 to see if one falls. If so then go for it. If not taking someone at 6 or trading back is fine by me. The more picks we have the more impactful players we can get to build around. I'm not sure of next years crop of qbs but if we add assessts in 2019 and we need a qb then trade up then. As of today we still have so many holes to fill that picking a qb later in round 1 or two is fine by me if we fill other needs. As I said. Now looking forward to April 26th and seeing what happens and as I said leave it to the Jets to mess up losing and just take us out of position for a top qb. Only the Jets ladies and gentlemen only the Jets.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

With Mac nearing the end of his contract, I doubt he has the balls to trade down this year with all the draft hype and QB hype that's at an unprecedented level this offseason.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree with this, although I'd love a trade down scenario. Has Macc ever traded up since he's been here?

He mostly sits and waits for a fall.

He'll take a QB (unless a killer like Barkley or Chubb falls) and then hope turns into a contact extension.

9. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He traded up for Shell. That was mid round though. He has not traded up in the first round to date.

Harpua and abyzmul like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I kind of remember that, thanks for the fact check.

11. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

If we don't get one of the top 4 QBs this draft, the "Fire Mac" billboards will be up before his plane touches down at Newark.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but I have a feeling if we are not in the top 5 we won't get any of them. I'm assuming he'll get there but would love to know what is going through his mind and his plan. I have a feeling we won't know our plan until draft night. I think both the Colts and Browns will hold the pick until they are on the clock unless Buffalo trades to one before the draft with a crazy offer.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think Browns take Barkley #1 and a QB #4. Barkley is by far the top RB choice and won't be there at #4. With the QB's the ratings are all over the place which means none are a clear consensus choice so why waste #1 on a guy you can likely get at #4. Pairing the top RB with one of the top 3 Qb's is a winning move.

If they don't take Barkley at #1 I think the Giants take him at #2. If the Browns take Barkley I think the fun and games starts with the Giants, not the Colts. The Giants can move back, grab picks and still get Nelson or a QB etc.

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I find it extremely weird that we traded down like 5 times last year and the only round where we have multiple picks is the 2nd - and that was from the Sheldon trade.

What did we get for all those trades down?

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Lol nothing. I remember we did that and picked players. Obviously the players weren't worth it. Only the Jets.

ColoradoContrails and Big Cat like this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If the draft falls that way we either get Nelson or Mayfield unless we trade down for more picks.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He did try to trade up for Captain Bong Mask in rd 1.....

18. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Top 3 qbs as of now are:
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield

They will go in top 4-5 picks.

Rosen will be available for Jets. From most accounts he’s sort of a douche, not a good leader or relatable, rumors of party boy and drug use, and has some injury concerns.

With that, I’m confident he’s going to be our pick!

Pepsiguy5, BomberJet and stinkyB like this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

If Rosen fell to us I'm ok with that. More concerned about his concussion history. Not too worried what others are saying. Once I see him doing things that Manziel does or Sanchez then I'd be worried. If he fell to us at 6 I'm fine with that. Anything to keep our second round picks. I want to take as many people as we can. We need the help.

20. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

As of today, we are still 40+ days out from the draft. I think I will drive myself crazy if I continue to discuss/read these draft scenarios everyday. So much can change from now until Mid-April.

For now, I am going to let the free agency dust settle and I would advise you all to direct your focus towards what is presently happening/being discussed. (Johnson, Williamson, Crowell, etc)

#20 PennyandtheJets, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018