Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by BamaDoc, Feb 19, 2006.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Here is my initial shot at what I would do. Picks are obviously gestimates as we haven't had the combine yet and that will change many players grades. My assumptions are that Abe is jettisoned for cap reasons, gaining a mid second round pick. With all apologies to Jabba, I am not ready to take Cutler at 4 and thus move down gaining another second. I also think we will move towards a 3-4 defense. With multiple available picks, I wish to create depth and competition, not merely take one player and if he doesn't work out find a major problem. I am remembering only about half of high ranked players are successful.

Round one post moving down: Best available OT
    Round two a) Manny Lawson DE/LB or Bobby Carpenter LB (No Abe moving to 3-4).
    two b) Kam Wimbley DE/olb (as above)
    two c) Omar Jacobs QB
    Round three Andrew Whitworth OT
    With a possible supplemental third, two fourths and a possible supplemental fourth, I would continue to rebuild the o line looking for at least one guard (Lutui?) and center (Degory?). My surprise would be taking another QB like Gradkowski or Croyle(if lack of weight/bulk materializes) somewhere in the fourth. Remaining fourth, fifth, sixth, and two seventh are to hard to realisticaly project but BPA with tilt to one RB,CB,WR.

This would provide two players with pass rushing impact and great athleticism to help with Abe's loss. Some would argue against two QBs, but it is such an important position. I would rather have two good looking prospects and deal with that "problem" than draft one and have to deal with the real problem of injury or poor performance.

2. 1028

1028 Active Member

So with Wimbley, Barton, Hobson, Carpenter/Lawson, and Vilma, who gets to play and who sits out?

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With Mawae possibly leaving the center position has to be addressed earlier, that is the most important part of the oline, and the thought of depending on a 33 year old RB just coming off of injury isn't leaving me comfortable, and I don't think that we will switch to a 3-4 yet, we right now don't have the personel for it and trying to force it on the personel we have could end up having the same problems as the zone blocking scheme last year.

4. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

1028: I feel the NE style of defense is based on strong LB and versatility. The non starting line backer of Wimbley and or Lawson would still have value as depth(LB) and as a situational pass rusher(DE).

MSU: I feel Mawae will return and was looking at depth and future. If he was gone we would need a vet or higher pick. I am not sure if any this year would be ready to start. Several of the higher prospects are sub 300lbs and would benefit from a little time. Perhaps Mangold could do it. I loved Eslinger's play when I saw him but he is listed at 285.

5. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

That is a horrible draft.

Why would we take two OLB and two OT in the first 3 rounds?

I can see the need for an OLB if we go to a 3-4 and I can see the need for an OT but why not take an interior lineman in addition to the OT? Someone like Nick Mangold at Center.

Furthermore, why would we trade down to take an OT when Ferguson will be staring at us at #4?

6. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Rambo: Ferguson at four would require another OT as he is a left tackle which is what Jones plays. Neither is considered an option at RT. The mid first or lower OT have better size for RT.(I like several except McNeil) Also, some picks don't pan out and there aren't any other decent tackles on our roster as I expect Fabini and Gragg to be gone. Whitworth has experience at LT but is projected to RT, ie a potential swing man if he doesn't win the job outright. We need more than one option. If there is a player the staff loves obviously you take him but would still need more than one tackle.

7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Completely agree with you here, no point in drafting D'Brick to compete with Jones, take a RB and move down and get someone later in the round such as McNeill or Giles or Eric Winston

8. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I'm sorry but you're logic is still mightily flawed. Here is what I understand, either you are proposing we draft two RT in the first 3 rounds (a tremendous, almost unthinkable waste of high draft picks) or you are suggesting we take a LT and a RT, in which case, I reiterate my biggest complaint, why would you not take D'Brickashaw Ferguson at #4?

Think about it, you are suggesting we skip the best LT prospect in the draft so that we may take a LTish player in round 3 and take a RT (a vastly easier position to fill) in the first round.

Any response to my critique of taking two OLB in the second round and the lack of need to take even one unless we immediately switch to the 3-4? Why not take a playmaker on offense, either a TE, WR, or RB. Or we could take a CB (Cromartie) or a DE or NT that are much bigger needs right now

9. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Rambo: My original statement included a move to the 3-4. I agree with you that Cromartie is a very interesting prospect but I can't read where he will go until after the combine. If he runs 4.40, he may shoot up the boards. Do you know of any character issues?

My doubling up propositions at OT, QB, and pass rushers are again because not all draft picks will pan out and these are key positions. Brick at 4 may eliminate getting the two rushers I targeted to replace Abe. That desire necessitated moving down to gain an extra pick. We clearly demonstrated little rush without Abe. I would rather have a surplus of rush than none.

If we take Brick at 4, who plays right tackle? And what is our depth?

I think RB is in better shape than our line right now and I would like a playmaker at TE and WR. My feeling is that with improved line play (more time to throw) our existing skill position players would do better. It is not sexy but I think we need to step back rebuild our line to go forward.

10. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I definately agree that we need to rebuild our line, but you are ignoring 4 positions. OLT, OLG, OC, and ORG. You should change one of the OTs to an OG or OC to spread the rebuilding instead of doubling your efforts at one spot.

I also don't mind moving down to pick up extra picks, but if we are going to move down, it would be foolish to do it and take a player at the same position we could have had before. If you want to trade down, take a TE or RB and then take OT in round two or three, but don't trade out of a position to take a great OT to take an OK one just so you get an extra pass rusher.

11. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I was just figuring Mawae and Moore to return eliminating starter need there. I was picking up depth at center in 3 or 4 round. You are correct as even then we may have a guard starting slot to fill which the 3/4 rounder may do. Sadly, we just have so many holes and cash constraints.