Draft Shockers

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There were certainly several shocking events in the draft tonight.

First, while I thought that Mayfield was the best QB in the draft, and know what an eye for talent Dorsey has, I still was a bit shocked that Mayfield went #1.

I wasn't really shocked that the Giants took Barkley instead of a QB, but think it was a dumb move.

The next shock was the Browns taking Denzel Ward, instead of Nelson, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick.

The next shock was the Broncos not taking Rosen, but taking Chubb. I'm glad we aren't in the Broncos division. Can you imagine having to block both Vonn Miller and Chubb? Got to be scary for opposing QBs.

Even a bigger shock was Rashaad Penny being taken ahead of Sony Michel! Most mocks I saw had Penny going in the 3rd round.

I was shocked that Rosen dropped to #10. While I thought it was possible due to his concussions/injury history and perceived personality, I was still shocked that it actually happened.

It was also a bit shocking that the Dolphins didn't try to move up for a QB and allowed AZ to jump in front of them and take Rosen.

I was also a bit shocked that McGlinchey went as high as he did. I was also shocked that Kolton Miller went in the 1st round and as high as he did. I had seen him projected as a 3rd rounder.

Derwin James dropping to #17 is also a bit of a shocker for me.

Ragnow being the first center taken was a shocker, and Price and he going back to back was surprising.

It was more surprising than shocking, but Hayden Hurst going in the 1st round, but not to the Panthers, but rather to the Ravens.

The Ravens trading up for Lamar Jackson was also a bit of a shocker to me.

It wasn't really a shock, but I am really hating that the Pats got Michel and Isaiah Wynn!

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You summed it up well.

It was a great night for entertainment.

6-10 once again likes this.
  3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the First Round more this year, probably because I watched a lot more NCAA football last year so I knew more of the players being selected

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Also edmunds falling to the bills at 16 was pretty shocking most people had him right below chubb and the 2nd best defensive player in the draft and ahead of fitzpatrick

Red Menace likes this.
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

To me, the biggest surprise was Rosen falling to 10 and the Bills trading up but not taking him. It does annoy me a bit to think the Jets could have had him at 6 and kept 3 second round picks, but too late now. Mayfield at #1 was expected because they are the stupid Browns and picking Ward over Chubb? Really? The Jets and Broncos needs to start sending the Browns some Christmas cards after this!

6. SecretConnection

SecretConnection Active Member

Biggest shock was Ward, no one predicted that happening.

Saints giving up so much for a de was another shocker. Though I love Davenport, I figured them for Jackson when they moved up.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m surprised the Pats went Sony instead of Chubb given Michel’s bone in bone knee issues.

8. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

When the commish wet up to the podium with 3 former Dallas QB's and still got booed, it was no shock to me.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you get drafted in the first round you'd better be ready for a gigantic manhug because Goodell really needs the affirmation at this point after a decade of being booed at the podium.

It used to be Goodell with a hearty handshake welcoming the picks into the NFL and wishing them well.

Now it's the manhug with Goodell carefully positioning himself so the sniper has to go through the draftee to get to him and the draftee whispering "it's gonna be ok man, security was sweeping the rafters this morning when I went into the Green Room."

10. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

They play ABrown and AGreen....

...4xs a year!! 4 !! 4- If this guy is a lockdown corner then he’s way more valuable than a luxury pick.

Ps. The Saints think their first round pick will be #32 in 2019. A first round pick is nothing.

FJF likes this.
  11. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Mayfield is better than Darnold, so why wouldn't the Browns take him?

12. NCJetsfan

I hadn't heard about Michel's bone-on-bone condition. Where did you learn about that? I watched UGA play a pretty fair amount the last couple of years and read several things about Michel, but never heard the announcers say anythings about it, nor did I read anything about it.

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I’m too new to post links but google Sony Michel bone on bone and the articles are out they.

14. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks. I'm glad that you decided to hang around. I think you will make a great addition to our board.

Jay Ajayi has a bone-on-bone condition and he has lasted longer and played better than I thought he possibly could, so maybe the same thing can happen for Michel. I hate the Pats, but like Michel, so that will be a tough one for me.

NY Jets68, Freddy Mondo and K'OB like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not a shocker but the Giants are having an amazing draft.

I wish every guy they took this year was on our team.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Darnold was the top QB prospect on pretty much every team's draft board.... except the Browns. The Jets were going to take Rosen, had Darnold not fallen into their lap. Mayfield had a late surge and the Browns bought in. I praise the football gods for this one.

17. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

How appropriate that you praise a fictional character after events unfolded that you could neither understand or predict.

By all accounts Dorsey has had Mayfield as his #1 Qb for months and went to 5 of Mayfield’s games after being let go from KC.

Either that or you’re right and someone who has been in the league for decades has the same limited amount of info as some tool on a message board and based his decision off tweets.

Maybe just maybe our GM knew which way Dorsey was leaning and put the Jets in a position to get a qb that does really well when the pocket breaks down and had no interest in a qb that’s a couple big hits away from a short career.

Almost like our GM knows our OL isn’t the best in the league and made plans to minimize exposure.

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because other than a handful of fans who love him, few if any personnel guys agree.

MeanGreenMachine88 likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I just texted the same thing to my buddy who is a Giants fan, he said he can’t believe Gettleman killed it his first year as GM.

I told him he built the Carolina Panthers so it’s no surprise his philosophy works.

20. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Mayfield is better than Rosen and Darnold. There was no surge. Obviously other teams didn't rate Rosen that high since he fell to 10, but we would have taken him at 3? Most of the so called experts also said the Giants would definitely take Darnold if the Browns passed. Well they passed and the Giants said thanks but no thanks.