Draft Order: where the jets will land?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 27, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

ok the site i looked at was wrong but again carr got the most money ever at 25 mil a year over 5 years. Washington offered cousins 22mil a year over 5 years. still 15mil less then carr. then not long after stafford's deal blew carr's out of the water and set the new standard. that's how the NFL works. every year the contracts get higher and higher. at this point cousins deserves more then stafford, at the point last year when he turned it down, he deserved more then carr. carr set the bar and Washington went under it.

in 2017 there were 14 QBs making 20+ million 22 million is a deal for an average QB, it's insane but that's how the NFL works. cousins deserves higher then average

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The only details ever released from the cousins deal were the Guaranteed amounts. The yearly amount was never released so we will never really know what his base salary was. I think what caused him to refuse was the amount he would Reciever under the franchise tag. Over 2 seasons is 58 million so even with the highest guaranteed money at the time it was still less than he stood to make.
    Your right about the yearly money that the players get being insane and Stafford's deal , totally undeserved IMO will drive up the salaries going forward. I guess as long as the cap keeps going up it will continue.

3. GasedAndConfused

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ins-contract-talks-stalled-after-second-offer

according to that article 5 years just under 110 million

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...sins-redskins-fail-to-reach-agreement-on-deal

even the owner flat out said it would make him the 2nd highest paid QB per year average so less then the 25mil carr got and by quite a bit. we also don't know how it was worded where it could have been insanely backloaded as well. either way the owner flat out said it was less then carr got and to make matters worse stafford got much more then carr not longer after that driving up the price even more

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nonsense. All will be 'said and done' in about 2 days when the regular season ends, and Macc knows:

1) where we pick in the upcoming draft
    2) what teams are in front of him and what those team's #1 need is (Browns & Giants need a QB, Bucs and Titians will take DB and RB).
    3) Macc will know in 2 days what college athletes will still be available when he's on the clock.

If we end up picking 8th, the QBs will be gone and Macc will move on to BPA, in which case he'll probably keep Bowles around.

If we end up picking 5/6th, one of the big 3 QBs will still be on the board and Bowles gets his pink slip in favor of a QB friendly HC (and staff).

Why do you think Bowles is so determined to throw 'development' out the window (Petty/Hack) and scratch out every possible win? Because he knows if his team finishes so badly that Macc can finally grab our FQB, he's out of a job.

what's so impossible?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tbh - I talked myself out of the short thing. Defensive lineman in college don’t grow substantially between the time they leave college to the time they enter the NFL.

AVG defensive lineman in college: 6’2&5/7” - 281lbs
    AVG defensive lineman in NFL: 6’2” - 295 lbs

AVG defensive end in college: 6’3&2/3” - 253lbs
    AVG defensive end in NFL: 6’3” - 255lbs

So basically the defenders don’t grow like super villains in the NFL.

The guy can clearly overcome the height deficit and, again, I’m really not high on Mayfield at all.

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Your time line is impossible. If I'm understanding you correctly, which I highlighted in 2 of your sentences, the only way Mac is going to know that, is at the time they draft. Positions will change also, even on the day of the draft. Unless you have a crystal ball , that is just not going to happen.

#106 BomberJet, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. abc

abc Well-Known Member

"they passed on Trib 1st overall"

I know how to comprehend you need to learn how to articulate yourself through the art of writing.

ps- Many didn't even have Tribinski as a top 3 QB.

#107 abc, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I think the bigger issue was not the guaranteed money, rather than the nature of the guarantee. If I recall correctly, the guarantee was almost completely, if not completely, his first 2 years' worth of salary. He was already guaranteed about half of that under the franchise tag, so essentially the Redskins were offering him 1 extra year guaranteed & then giving themselves a cheap out. Conversely, Stafford received a $50mil signing bonus, which makes it cost prohibitive to cut him for a number of years due to the dead money that would hit the cap.So in his case, not only does he have that guaranteed money, he's also essentially guaranteed to collect at least 3-4 years of salary as well.

9. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't wait until Kirk "Romo" Cousins either re-signs with Wahington, or signs with another team not named the Jets. Then all the sign Cousins talk can be double flushed down the toilet.

tbruner12 and abc like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 Million ..I've been onto Bowles all Season with this

A lot of posters here have tunnel vision, in total denial or can't understand how our HC has a personal motivation to save his job and keep the team's future in the doghouse

Wins look good and as you mentioned a "tanked" season puts us up there ...maybe to # 6 or # 5 to grab a talented kid at QB...an Agent won't stand for the present CS living in 1980 so yes Bowles is replaced with an Off Coach and we hire a Pres of Football Operations going foward

The 64000 dollar question is do you TRUST Toilet Bowles with his love of playing Vets or maybe Mac if he goes after a drafted QB to end the team's losing ways??????

I posted previously that at LEASt 70% of TGG want Bowles gone and got at least 10 likes

Listen guys you don't have your cake and eat it too...so you can't want TB gone and think we will still hire Cousins...what for anyway? No guarantees he turns the Jets into playoff contenders, plus he can get hurt

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Even with the 6th pick, other teams with better draft pick assets can trade up - Buffalo for example. The Jets needed to finish in the bottom 2 this season and ownership let Bowles screw it up by letting him play McCown. I'm sure Mac didn't want that.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Of course Mac didn’t, he wanted hack to win,so did Bowles but neither were going to throw him or petty in there when they knew the kids couldn’t play. That’s what mccown was here for and it’s a testament to the coaching staff that in the first time in 3 years of mccown seeing action that his team isn’t picking 1st.
    Nobody inside of one jet drive was going to let this team lose with the best qb on the bench. It was never going to happen. And no one here with an ounce of pride in their profession would do anything similar in their respective lines of work.

13. GasedAndConfused

Nah you just need to increase your reading comprehension skills ;)

GQMartin and abc like this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I guess it's a mute point now that Woody extended both Bowles and Macc.

As far as the other stuff, HCs are fired and/or extended at the end of the season every year. And some of what goes into that decision is what the HCs strengths and weaknesses are, and what the team will look like next season. As far as the draft, the closer we are to the top, the more certainty there is. So I said if we're close enough to the top where Macc feels good about landing a top QB, he would 'probably' release Bowles in favor of a more Offensive minded HC with a good track record developing QBs. That's all I was saying. Look at what's happening to the Giants...

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't think you understand how bad our o-line is; Nelson would be an impact player on this team. We'd be going from hot garbage at that position to someone who will either start elite or become it very fast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

James Hasty likes this.
  16. BomberJet

I get what your saying , just think that with this management, to extend a contract then fire the head coach after the draft for a player that offers no guarantees, that's really unprecedented and would make the org look like a mickey mouse operation. I don't recall that ever happening in my 50+ years of watching football.

17. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'd suspect Cousins will get offers around $30M per year for 6 years with $100M guarantee.

I'm not sure why people wouldnt want him. Any of his last three seasons would be among the all time best for a jets qb. Jets have had a 4,000 yard passer once in their entire history.

There is no single player or position that can upgrade this team than Cousins.

FJF and BomberJet like this.
  18. BomberJet

Good point and to add, me being 6 feet tall (which I am ) and if I'm taking snaps behind an OL that average roughly 6'5" which is probably very realistic for OL, I don't know how it's possible to see down field unless I take at least. 5-6 steps back or roll out of the pocket. He's doing it in college pretty successfully, have to give him credos. Still not high on him, either.

19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Quality guards can be found during the second day and even the third day of the draft. With as many holes as we have, you do not draft a guard in the top 5-10.

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Funny, Brady never signed a contract paying him mega $$$$.