Draft Analysis: Where the Quarterbacks Should Go

Discussion in 'Draft' started by playtowinthegame, Apr 17, 2017.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

This a good article by Andy Benoit over at Sports Illustrated's MMQB. I highly recommend reading it if you haven't already. Link

I'm only going post this snippet from the article regarding the Jets and Deshaun Watson.

Comparisons will be made to Marcus Mariota, but stylistically the more apt comparison is to Dak Prescott (especially for their similar throwing motions). The question is whether Watson can be as accurate. More finesse than power, he’s better on touch passes than fastballs. Clemson’s offensive system did not demand many fastballs, so Watson’s sample size is small. But the subtle hitch in his delivery and his tendency to separate his feet upon throwing (as opposed to firmly planting his back foot) suggest he’ll never be a high-velocity thrower.

When you consider Watson’s refinement on touch passes, another comparison could be made to Russell Wilson, perhaps the best touch passer in football. He and Watson have different skill sets, but they approach the game in similar ways. Watson, who is very mobile, has Wilson’s tendency to break down and leave the pocket. At times, he’ll do this too early, which harms an offense’s rhythm. But late in his college career, and especially in the win over Alabama for the national title, Watson showed a much more refined sense of pocket poise than Wilson ever showed in his first few NFL seasons. There’s something to build on.

[​IMG]

Whoever drafts Watson will take his mobility into consideration. This is where the discussion gets interesting. Not having Russell Wilson’s solidness or Cam Newton’s size, Watson’s body won’t survive the rigors of eight to 10 rushing attempts a game. Can he prosper as just a decent-armed pocket passer who sometimes runs around? That has worked for Prescott, but Prescott also plays behind the NFL’s best offensive line, is accompanied by the NFL’s best running game and has a true No. 1 receiver in Dez Bryant, which regulates coverages and makes the field easier to read. There’s zero possibility Watson will fall into such ideal circumstances.
    Not physically gifted enough to take over NFL contests the way he did at Clemson, Watson will have to maximize the opportunities of whatever system he’s in.

The challenge is identifying the most appropriate system. The Seahawks keep Russell Wilson in the pocket on quick-timing throws but leave room for him to run around on other dropbacks. The team that drafts Watson must be willing to reshape its offense in this fashion. One possibility: the Jets. Their new offensive coordinator, John Morton, who has never been an NFL play-caller and is a bit of a mystery, comes from the Saints and may run a variation of Sean Payton’s scheme. That would not fit Watson. But with the entire offensive lineup in flux and the coaches and front office presumably on the hot seat, the Jets, instead of enduring the pains of a long-term system installation, might be incentivized to settle for whatever approach yields the best immediate results. They drafted Christian Hackenberg in the second round last year. Taking Watson would give them a different style of quarterback and thus, the ability to go in a new direction should the outlook on Hackenberg sour. And though it shouldn’t matter, Watson would galvanize Gang Green’s disenchanted fan base.

The Jets shouldn’t take Watson at No. 6 overall—that’s too high. But if they could trade down, or if he’s on the board in the second round (39thoverall), that would be intriguing.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  2. playtowinthegame

Jets will be missing out on Watson should they trade down to the Browns 12 pick.

10. Buffalo Bills
    11. New Orleans Saints
    12. Cleveland Browns
    13. Arizona Cardinals

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So the Jets dont have a known offensive philosophy so that makes Watson a fit? Seems a bit of a stretch.

BomberJet and Br4d like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Benoit is stretching it big time in my opinion. Yes, Watson can probably play year one in a system suited to his talents and with a big rookie bubble around him. No, the Jets are not the team that could make that happen unless Morton is seriously about doing that and only that next year.

If he's going to try to run Payton's offense then either Petty or Hack is better suited for it with arm strength being a primary concern. Drew Brees has got a very good arm and great mechanics which make it seem like even more.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We did, but we ran that coordinator out of town

HomeoftheJets, ajax and PulseJet like this.
  6. Br4d

We run all OC's out of town.

Gailey would have been a fit for Watson. Spread offense with a power running attack.

101GangGreen101 and PulseJet like this.
  7. playtowinthegame

Go listen to what Pat Kirwan had to say about Deshaun Watson at around 2:04 in this video at the Jets official website. He's drawing comparisons to Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson. That's someone you can build around at quarterback.

#7 playtowinthegame, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. Br4d

That's kind of scary, however if he's a Jet on 6 I will adapt and so will 99% of the fans. The 1% may be right but they're also the sorriest mopes in the building. You have to be happy some of the time.

BTW, going to point out the obvious which is that I'd be thrilled with Watson on the 107.

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not gonna dis kirwan.......folks should recall he was employed by the jets for a number of years and even coached my HS team. LOL.

anyway - comparing Watson's collegiate resume to Wilson and Prescott is not really any complex analysis. even the casual eye can see some similarities in their play.

I don't want Watson, or kizer.......I don't think I would mind mahomes but only if he isn't over drafted (like there is a chance in that). trubinsky is more than a curiosity and Peterman looks like he can play.

10 days to go and i'll probably just say F it and give me howard on the 6.

10. playtowinthegame

I'll take Adoree' Jackson there.

11. jilozzo

another thing IF the jets do indeed run a payton like scheme then we need a freakin TE, maybe two of them.

12. playtowinthegame

Kirwan was talking about his interviews with all three of them as draft prospects. He said after interviewing Prescott it was like he just got done talking to Russell Wilson, and when he interviewed Watson, it was like talking to Prescott. Similar leadership traits in all of them.

13. playtowinthegame

NFL Network Mock Draft: Bucky Brooks 4.0
    LINK

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good news then. there is a freak of a tight end available at 6.

jilozzo likes this.
  15. jilozzo

many of the mocks are head scratching and u really wonder what these guys do all day.....however this one isn't bad, I just don't agree with his jets pick.

Br4d likes this.
  16. Br4d

They get paid to do the equivalent of hang around the water cooler and talk sports with the crowd. Great job if you can get it.

jdon and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Swami of the Water Cooler!!!

AHAHAH

Br4d likes this.
  18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

It is the equivalent of giving psychic readings---and just about as accurate.

Br4d likes this.
  19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Watson will be an INT machine in the NFL, so I'll pass. Against the same defenses Trubisky played better. Watson is what you see and he has a lower ceiling. When I see Watson play it is like watching Geno Smith out there.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

There's no way I see us taking a QB with our 1st rounder and that includes moving back...I just don't see it.