Don't NECESSARILY blame Tannenbaum for the Cap Mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I had this conversation with LVCoach yesterday. He said that Tannenbaum was our "Cap Guru" before becoming GM. If the cap is such a mess, isn't Tannenbaum responsible?

Maybe, maybe not...

If you look at it this way, his job was to work the figures based on Bradway's direction and Herm's requests. Tannenbaum did what he was told to do, but do we actually know what his reaction was to the directives from his superior?

Let's say that Tannenbaum was smart enough to see this coming, and despite the efforts of Bradway and Herm to save their own asses at the expense of the future - maybe it was Tannenbaum who spoke up at meetings and warned the FO of impending doom if they continued their cap spending habits? Who knows for sure?

If Woody remembers that it was Tannenbaum who spoke up or warned of the issues relating to the Jets' cap problems, maybe that's why Woody chose him as GM? Could Tannenbaum have been the voice of reason in the FO?

Not knowing for sure, and seeing what the new FO led by Tannenbaum is doing - following what most of us have said was necessary - gutting the team...then I for one am going to support Tannenbaum and the new FO and give them the benefit of the doubt as to his part in the past cap mismanagement.

gg

2. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Bradway was MT's superior. MT's job was to get the players that TB wanted to fit into the cap. It wasnt his job to say dont sign Legree just to fit him in.
    I am impressed with what the FO is doing so far and am willing to give the benefit as well.

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I agree with what you are trying to say.

I don't think Tannenbaum is blame free, that's for sure, but if Tannenbaum tells Bradway/Herm, "Look guys, this is going to cause us a cap problem down the road." and Bradway/Herm says, "That's ok, we want to win in 2005, don't worry about 2006." eventually it comes down a to a vote, and Bradway gets the final decision.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Today we can look back with hindsight and see that Bradway and Herm felt they had to win by year 5 or they were gone. Tannenbaum being part of the organization probably bought into it fully. There is nothing wrong with putting the team in cap hell for a run at a SB. Putting a 9 or 10 win team into cap hell is a different story. Putting a 4 win team into cap hell is grounds for the GM and HC to get canned. Obviously Woody thinks Tannenbaum knows the difference between the three.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Th cap mess all goes back to Parcells, Tannenbaum was just doig what he was told. MT & TB worked hard to get us out of a bad cap but then injuries to our top guuys on O and D have crippled our cap gain and it needed to be cleaned up again.

6. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I dont blame Tannenbaum one bit for this mess. His job description...even under parcells, was to make the numbers work. He may have given advise and said last year that this is going to be a problem....but I cant blame him.

Lets look to the past a bit and see why Bradway was fired. Lets not forget when he announced the EM signing and then went out and did the radio shows that he stated several times....that the jets would be able to keep and sign all the players they needed...and there wouldnt be a need for a massive overhaul.

Im sure Tannenbaum went to his buddy and Woody and told him he was nuts...and this wasnt the case. Tannenbaum was NOT advising Bradway that with a little tinkering...the Jets could keep basically everything they needed on the roster. As soon as Bradway was gone....the shit hit the fan and Tannenbaum started doing things that Bradway as GM had no idea how to handle.

#6 jaywayne12, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  7. jaywayne12

Oh come on Junc. Parcells has been gone for years now. What are you going to bring up? Curtis Martin again?

TB did what any living, breathing functioning brain would do in that spot and got rid of the deadwood of marvin jones...lewis..etc.

What on the payroll going into last season did Parcells have to do with.

Remember..the contract Martin...Pennington...etc are working off of are Bradway signings...no longer Parcells signings.

The only thing Parcells has to with the jets going into last year was the he was responsible for having Martin, Abaraham, Ellis, Pennington and Mawae on the Jets...and it could have been said that those were the best 5 Jets going into last season.

And isnt Tannenbaum cleaning up Bradways mess just the way Bradway was cleaning up after Parcells...thats what happens when you change over management

#7 jaywayne12, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I read these boards almost everyday and I haven't seen anyone blame Tannenbaum for the cap situation.

9. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

NO.

They worked hard to keep the status quo and keep a team on the field that was semi-competitive WHEN HEALTHY.

They never Cleared the cap enough and built a foundation of a Championship team...

Herm and Bradway are both BOZOs.

NO way Chad should have been signed like atop 5 QB - I said it then I say it now - RIDICULOUS and ASSININE.

10. nyjunc

BP gave big deals to Cox(knowing we'd have to cut him) and Mo as h left, he lso gave huge deals to other players and mde the next regime have to get rid of some good players and restructure others to get under the cap. If Bp left us a clean cap it would have been alot easier for TB to keep us there and for 1 injury not cripple our cap.

11. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

-It was Bradway who re-signed Martin to a new EXTENDED contract. Parcells signed him, but Bradway extended him twice.

-I did complain when Bradway signed Pennington. As much of a fan I was of Pennington I did warn everyone that we were making a mistake tying him up long term in September of 2004. If Pennington had a great season, we could still try and resign him or franchise him. The mistake was on Bradway.

-It was Bradway who re-did Mawae, Robertson, and Ellis to big money long term contracts, not Parcells.

12. nyjunc

and if Chad didn't get hurt and his price went up you and others would have wondered why we didn't sign him earlier. That's the way it goes, Tb made some mistakes but he inherited a terrible cap situation and did a great job to get us out of it and made some good, tough decisions.

13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

HOW MUCH MORE COULD WE HAVE POSSIBLY PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????

Come on with this stuff...

Look at the Big Picture and stop with the excuses - You sure you're last name isn't Bradway?

14. jaywayne12

Most new gm's inherit bad cap situations. Who inherited a worse situation, Bradway or Tannenbaum.

Im not going to be a hypocrite. I wanted Pennington signed.

I also like lobster. Just not in the budget 7 days a week.

I cant see how you can compare the mess that Bradway inherited compared to Tannenbaum. The Jets still had the players (mostly all of Parcells picks were the stars of the team) to make the playoffs.

Cant really see a ton of sports writers shouting that we will be making the playoffs next year.

15. nyjunc

He was off to a grat start before he hurt his shoulder, he was on pace to win another passing title. If he had done that and we win about 12 games he would have been paid ALOT more. It was a wise move to get him locked up but we had bad luck w/ his shoulder injury.

16. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

He didn't do a "Great Job"

Please.

Yeah, He inherited a Bad cap situation....

I wanted it Blown upo then - Like we are doing now..... Unless you though that team was on it's way to Championship caliber football - NOT, slipping into the playoffs...

At his Best, Chad was never a Top 5 QB worthy of that kind of pay - At best he was a SYSTEM QB... Maybe the top of the next tier of QB's but, no where near worth what Bradway gave him way prematurely..

17. nyjunc

If Chad was healthy tannenbaum would have inherited a better situation. TB wasn't compketely irresonsible like BP was. he was going for in 3 years no matter what happened to the future of our franchise. Luckily Groh had a little vision made the Key deal and selected the players in 2000.

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

If he had an incredible year, the money just could go up that much...

Can you list me all the QB's who got better contracts than Chad?

19. nyjunc

At his best Chad was the 2nd best QB in football in 2002.

20. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I'll leave it at THAT.

You obviously are on a totally different planet than I am and you feel Chad got the contract he deserved...

Me?

I NEVER thought that and I always though Chad was a SYSTEM QB who Should be paid as a SYSTEM QB....

Never wanted to see Chad get that kind of money - I'd rather have seen him walk. There was no reason at that point in time to open up the vaults - Chad had no leverage - The minimal amount of money you worried about IF Chad played real well for an entire season was WELL worth the risk.

If he cried about it than too bad - He'd be lumped with the Keyshawns and the TO's and the Herm's a s whiny babies looking to rip up a contract.