Donnie's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DonnieIsTheKing, Dec 19, 2006.

1. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Trade:
    Houston gets 3rd overall pick
    Tampa Bay gets 5th overall pick, 2008 2nd round pick, 2007 3rd round pick

1. Detroit- QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
    After Kitna's terrible play this season, a franchise QB is the first need on the list. Quinn's been tutored by QB genius Charlie Weis for 2 years, and with his strong arm he's a top prospect.

2. Oakland- WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
    Jerry Porter is definitely going to go, and so may Randy Moss. Even if Moss does stay, he's getting old and fragile while the only talented WR behind him is Ronald Curry. Calvin Johnson is a top receiving prospect in the mold of another Johnson - Andre (who has 97 catches through 14 games)

3. Houston (f/TB)- OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
    Houston's OL has improved greatly, but the LT position is still below average at best. They trade up to select the best and most complete OL prospect since Robert Gallery a few years before.

4. Arizona- OT Sam Baker, USC
    Ah! Everyone and their mother knows that all the Cards want is OL, and the best one by far was just taken from under their nose! Well, with the teams below them being moderate possibilities to nab an offensive tackle, they reach 3-5 spots and grab the draft's 2nd best lineman.

5. Tampa Bay (f/HOU)- DE Gaines Adams, Clemson
    They did not need a Joe Thomas or an Adrian Peterson that badly, so they decided to pick up 2 first day picks in the next 2 years and grab the guy who was on their radar anyway. Simeon Rice was already getting old and now he's coming off of injury too, and the group of guys playing behind him are nothing spectacular. After a fantastic junior season and a very good senior year, this pass rushing fiend is going to wreck havoc in an aging defense that needs a little rebuilding.

6. Cleveland- HB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
    Have a tough decision between drafting 2 Michigan defenders? Solution - Take the running back that scouts are comparing to Eric Dickerson to complete the overhaul of your backs and receivers.

7. Washington- DT Alan Branch, Michigan
    Getting nothing from your interior line? Solution - Take a 340 pound loaf with a non-stop motor.

8. St. Louis- CB Leon Hall, Michigan
    Sick and tired of me trying to spice up this mock draft by asking three questions in a row? Solution - Shut up, and take a stud who has slipped and is excellent shutdown value here for your below average secondary.

9. Minnesota- OT Jake Long, Michigan
    Damn, 3 Michigan players in a row? Well, Minnesota's left side of the OL is fantastic, but the right side is below average at best. Jake Long is a prototypical RT, and will fit in perfectly with this line.

10. San Francisco- WR Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State
    Antonio Bryant and Arnaz Battle are solid, but this core lacks a playmaker for Alex Smith to take advantage of. Ted Ginn Jr. is the definition of playmaker, and can help on offense as well as in the return game.

11. Carolina- S Reggie Nelson, Florida
    The Panthers have a lot of holes, and a playmaking safety would help out in the run defense and pass defense right away. With the best defensive line in football, Nelson, who has had a fantastic senior season, will be able to do his thing and should become one of the league's top playmakers.

12. Green Bay- DT Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State
    Pitcock is very good value here and fills one of the much needed holes in a terrible Packers defense.

13. Miami- S LaRon Landry, LSU
    The Dolphins have 2 nobody safties starting for them right now. Landy was a virtual lock as a first rounder if he had declared last year, is still the playmaking prospect he was, and has played for Saban before. Perfect fit.

14. Atlanta- OG Justin Blalock, Texas
    The Falcons have had trouble filling both guard spots this year, and there is no one of good value to fill their defensive needs at this point in the draft. Blalock is very strong and dependable and could start right away to help the already excellent running game.

15. Kansas City- QB Troy Smith, Ohio State
    Kansas City has 2 aging quarterbacks of 38 and 33 years, while their third (Brodie Croyle) has not done much to garner attention. The Heisman trophy winner is very talented and very good value, and will be the KC QB of the future.

16. Pittsburgh- CB Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
    The starting corners are alright, and the depth is very bad. Revis is a top talent that has perrenial shutdown talent and will help this secondary tremendously.

17. NY Giants- HB Marshawn Lynch, California
    *Pick pending that Tiki does retire* Jacobs is too inconsistent to be depended on as a feature back, and a combination of he and Lynch is flat out deadly.

18. Buffalo- OT Levi Brown, Penn State
    Buffalo needs help on the right side of the line, and big, bad Levi Brown will be willing to help.

19. Tennessee- WR Dwayne Jarrett, USC
    Vince Young does not have a top target to throw to. Jarrett has succeeded everywhere he's been, and I see him as a poor man's Chris Carter.

20. New England (f/SEA)- ILB Patrick Willis, Ole Miss
    This linebacking core is slowly getting older and weaker. Willis was the NCAA LB of the year (even though Pos won the DPOY... somehow) and is capable of starting for the Pats whenever they need him to.

21. NY Jets- DE/OLB Lamarr Woodley, Michigan
    So many players, so many directions. So I'll just take a stud, shut up, and call it a day.

22. Philadelphia- OLB Paul Posluszny, Penn State
    The OLB spot on this defense has nobody special, and Jeremiah Trotter needs someone to help him chase down ball carriers. Paul Posluszny is a natural athlete, 2 time NCAA DPOY (forget the award's name), and is a PA favorite already. Perfect fit.

23. Denver- DE Quentin Moses, Georgia
    After doing a mock draft for Denver last year, I had a mastermind plan of them getting studs all over the DL, and then they turn around and go in a totally different direction. Moses has not been great his senior year, but he's a top 10 talent that the Broncos can use to upgrade on their average DEs.

24. Jacksonville- QB JaMarcus Russell, LSU
    OLB is their position of need and there's not a player worth drafting there at this point. Leftwich can't be depended on, and Garrard has not played that well (his running game has). In the Steve McNair/Dante Culpepper mold, Russell is rising up draft boards and will be in competition for Jacksonville's QB job right away.

25. Cincinnati- DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville
    A position of concern for Cincy, and it'll be filled by a very big and talented ball player.

26. Dallas- S Michael Griffin, Texas
    Roy Williams is a stud, but needs a good cover S to allow him to come up in the box and do his thing. Griffin can do this well, and is versitile enough to possibly play corner too.

27. New Orleans- DT DeMarcus Tyler, NC State
    New Orleans has 2 big needs - OLB and DT. Since there's no OLB value right now, and a very good DT that's rising up everyone's board, Tyler will be the 4th NC State DL to be a 1st rounder in 2 years.

28. New England- WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina
    This team is in need of WR help because everyone is leaving through trade and free agency. Tom Brady gets a new, dynamic target that has fantastic big play potential.

29. Baltimore- QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
    McNair is aging and oft-injured, and Boller was never able to get it done, so they'll take a talented and strong armed QB to take over whenever McNair gets hurt next.

30. Indianapolis- OLB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
    This team NEEDS run defense help, especially at OLB. A little bit of a reach, but it's 100% necessary for this disgusting defense

31. Chicago- TE Zach Miller, Arizona St.
    A very consistent and talented pass catching TE who can help a very inconsistent offense and QB become more consistent.

32. San Diego- ILB Buster Davis, Florida State
    The 2 ILBs in this 3-4 defense are 33, and one of them (Edwards) has had a lot of trade talk over the years. Davis is very talented and can offer good depth and a future starter for this LB core.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I really doubt Houston takes an OT in the first round this year. People have been clamoring for them to take a LT for years, but they took two in the third last year who could still pan out and besides, when was the last time Denver took an OL in the first round?

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

George Foster. I know it was a few years ago, maybe 3-4?

As for the draft, too cookie cutter. We're what, 4 months before the draft, take some chances, make some bold predictions. It was solid, just kind of boring, especially when you know over the next 120ish days that everything's going to be turned on it's head.

* That sounded kind of harsh, I didn't mean it in a bad way, you obviously did a lot of work on it. I'm just saying have fun with it.

4. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

hmm jets should take posluszny if he falls into their laps

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

A mock draft is already speculative enough without predicting that teams are going to trade their picks.

6. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I like the trade and at the same time i dont.

I mean you should NEVER EVER EVER pass up on a franchise LT. (Case, passing on matt for d'brick). But at the same time we get the guy we ALSO want.

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

What are they doing in your sig? Either shooting dice or they just saw a puppy, i can't tell.

8. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Worse, they jut saw Elmo

[​IMG]

9. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

IMO, Quinten Moses is a top-15 pick, no doubt.

Besides that, i think it seems pretty realistic for the most part. I like the selection of Woodley there, but I think i may prefer Marshawn if he falls.

#9 dwalsh, Dec 20, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  10. DonnieIsTheKing

I do prefer Marshawn also, but if Tiki retires and the Giants are before us then forget that idea.

Moses has had a pretty bad senior season and some blame it on John Abraham Syndrome (playing soft to avoid getting hurt and losing money). Yes he is still incredibly talented and deserves a first round rating, but I don't think he'll be top 10 or 15 at this point (he may move in there with a few good workouts).

11. DonnieIsTheKing

Pos is undersized to be a 3-4 inside linebacker, and it would be hell having he and Vilma in there. He's also too slow to play outside. Not a good fit in a 3-4 defense at all.

And this is coming from a Penn State fan that LOVES Da Pos!

12. DonnieIsTheKing

I thought that the trade worked very well for both teams. The Buccaneers got a much needed position, as did the Texans.

Btw, for whoever is saying the Texans used 2 picks at LT last year, they didn't. Eric Winston is more of a RT type, and Charles Spencer has shown nothing this year. He's a giant and might work out better inside anyway. Joe Thomas is a rare talent, and I actually considered giving him to the Bucs. Maybe I should have, but the Bucs have 2 more first day picks the next 2 years to fill their many holes and aging defensive stars.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

1. Houston would be crazy do to that deal....to move up only 2 spots up and sacrafice two day 1 picks after the 5th overall pick.

2. Troy Smith as the 2nd QB taken before Russell and Brohm is doubtful. Smith is the man in college, but hes small and if KC had the chance theyd take Russell because hes much more athletic and has a stronger arm.

3. Chicago needs a DT with Tank Johnson gone and Tommie Harris most likely a question mark heading into next season. Depth for DTs is rare. Their current TE had a great day last sunday too.

4. Green Bay if they had a choice between Landry and Pitcock, would rush to the podium and take Landry. Youve seen how brutal their secondary is when they played the Jets.

5. Dallas will go against the Parcells theory of not taking a OL in the 1st round. That O-Line at times get beaten too much at the line.

6. STL took Tye Hill last year as their CB. They will probably go after a LB or a D-Linemen here.

Aside from those 6 things, this is a good draft bro. I cant argue with Woodley at all, love his play from college.

14. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I was surprised because the Texans listed Spencer as their LT pick and Winston as either RT or Guard (can't remember) but I always thought Winston was one of the few players in the draft with the agility to play on the blind side. I'd prefer either getting a chance to play full time and have the Texans take either a RB or some defensive help.

15. DonnieIsTheKing

Just a few comments on your comments.

16. DonnieIsTheKing

What is up with Spencer this year anyway? Is he even playing? I haven't seen him at all, and the NFL.com depth chart doesn't even have him on there.

17. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

JMO opinion< I could see Raiders going RB, WR, OT and it wouldn't supprise me, if they went DT with first pick. (Alan Branch) Make a very good unit (defense)into an unbelievable unit.

18. DonnieIsTheKing

That's something that can definitely be considered, but the much bigger needs are on offense, and with better value at WR, HB, and OT then at DT I think they'll go with one of the offensive guys.

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

I don't think they need anymore youth on offenseline. What they need is some veterans for youngsters to lean on. (I see two they try and sign in FA)
    Also IF you drafting with second pick its hard to justify spending that much on a RT. Like it or not gallery making alot of money,and its tough to pay two tackles left tackle money.

WR- Recent history has shown us you don't necessarily have to pick a WR early, as you can find answers later. (can give you alot of examples)
    Believe they have more than enough Wrs to get the job done.

RB- You have a shot at a very good one you might have to strongly consider it. BUT very good Rbs tend to be there in second round(teams usually make a run on other positions ) Defintely a option.

What happens with R Moss,will say what Raiders do in draft. Raiders aren't giving R Moss away without getting fair compensation. Maybe you see teams
    like Falcons or dolphins who are willing to pay raiders price for Moss. (see there time running out with current roster to make a chamionship run)

20. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

With their stunning lack of play makers on the offensive side and a young QB, I'd be really surprised if the Vikings took long, especially since he'd be a RT for Minnesota. I don't know how they can pass on a playmaking WR such as Ginn or one of the safeties available.