Donkey's trip to New York for the Vikings Game

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by donkey, Oct 14, 2018.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

So after two wins a row I'm coming over for the Vikings game. Brilliantly we already have two tailgate invites (thank you), so I was wondering what bars you could recommend.

Myself and Nigel (who a few of you may in London in 2015) are both real ale drinkers, so where's good to drunk? Same applies re food...pizza, steak, burgers. Of course we're investigating on our own, but you can't beat local knowledge.

Finally, does anyone do an after game tailgate... it's always a pain to leave after the game

Cheers all.

Jetsfansince2015 and stinkyB like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

donkey. I was looking forward to hosting you at our tailgate but due to some personal reasons I won’t attend this game. But to keep my promise to you I would like to take you and your friend to dinner if you can make the trip to New Jersey.

Moving your topic to Jets main forum to see if anybody else can host you at their tailgate and give you some suggestions.

GQMartin and Jetsfansince2015 like this.
  3. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cheers Brook. I have a tailgate sorted. Really looking forward to the trip.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Okay. How about an early breakfast on Sunday morning in Madison? Then I will drop you to Metlife anytime you want. I wake up at 7 am so let me know.

If Sunday breakfast doesn’t work out then dinner on Monday. Plan to be here in Madison, NJ at 7:00 pm Monday night.

Let me know which works for you guys.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Damn Brook! Next time I'm in New York, I'm sending you a message!

Sometimes this board gives me agita, most of the time actually, but other times I realize how awesome this place is! Enjoy the game! Should be a fun one!

Jetsfansince2015 and donkey like this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Donkey, you know where I'll be on Sunday! Have a great trip. Let me know if our tailgates are anywhere near each other - I'll wander over for a visit. (a shot) Good thing we've got a bit of a home winning streak going - That should add a little extra "pep" to it all. You'll be amazed how much purple you'll see in the stadium. The secondary ticket market has created that, and it'll be full-force this Sunday. That said, it's good to know some 'green' is traveling across the Atlantic to counter the purple. Regarding the search for Real Ale, that might be tough to find in New Jersey. Over here the term they'll use is "cask" which some beer-friendly locations will sometimes have a "cask version" or "on the hand pump". Cheers!

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Donkey, hope you have a great trip.

You’ll probably get tons of recommendations, so here’s my two cents. For pizza in the City, you’ve got to get yourselves a slice over at Joe’s over on Carmine St. (Don’t settle for one of its satellite locations.) Not sure if there’s good ‘cue across the pond, but if you’re looking for the meats (and have time for a trip), John Brown’s Smokehouse over in LIC (Queens) is great. If you’re on a time crunch, head over to Hill Country BBQ over on 26th in Midtown. If you’re looking for a brewery experience (and have time to travel), 5 Borough’s Brewing over in Sunset Park (Brooklyn) is the real deal — would line it up against many of the breweries upstate. But if you have limited time in the City and you haven’t been to these spots yet, you should go to Keen’s over in Midtown to see the pipes, including Teddy Roosevelt’s, and to McSorely’s to see the WWI wishbones. Those are just some thoughts.

Hope you guys have a great trip. Really hope that Darnold and the Jets do not disappoint.

8. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Hey Brook, thanks for the offer. Having started to sort our trip, we're already on a busy schedule, so I think it's going to be too difficult to get out to NJ. I already need another trip! But if you find yourself in London let me know and I'll come down to say hello! Thanks again for the generous offer.

Jetsfansince2015 and Brook! like this.
  9. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

We'll be in 15J Yellow Lot. I have no idea if that's close or not! :)

10. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Cheers Noodle, that's perfect.

We are staying in Chinatown if anyone can recommend a good Chinese :)

11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Solid Chinese food in Chinatown is pretty easy to get — just go for a walk down Mott street. Big Wong (haha) is there, and there’s a few restaurants with Hop in their names (I forget). Personally, I order from Tasty Hand Pulled noodle once a week — their big bowls of beef noodle soup are a crazy good value. (Definitely get the knife peeled noodles, as they’re about as hand-hand as noodles can get.) If you’re trying to keep things lighter and healthier, there’s Buddha Bodai (also over on Mott) that serves up vegetarian and kosher dim sum as well as takeout Chinese fare.

EDIT: If you do go up to McSorley’s and want to get some dumplings out in the East Village, definitely check out the Drunken Dumpling. Order the pork potstickers, you guys won’t regret it. Also, in the East Village, if you’d like to enjoy some excellent matzah ball soup, you’ve got Vesleka right there.

Hope that helps!

12. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Sure does! Btw I always assumed Noodle Arm was a reference to Chad Pennington...perhaps not. ;-)

#12 donkey, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  13. Adam

Adam New Member

I like Biggies in Carlstadt, NJ close to the stadium

donkey and Jetsfansince2015 like this.
  14. LogeSection2RowJ

Donkey needs to hit McSorley's. I got bounced from there once! :p

15. LogeSection2RowJ

Haha, neither do i and I've spent a good portion of my life in that damn parking lot. Can't be too far - I'll look it up.

16. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

It's on the list

17. LogeSection2RowJ

Looked it up. J 15 is near the Verizon gate. Maybe I can swing by on my way in. We're over in K 9.

donkey and Jetsfansince2015 like this.
  18. Jetsfansince2015

This thread nearly brought me to tears at the love and class this fan base has shown and how they are among the minority perhaps throughout all fan bases of every sport. Really humbled and proud to be on this lifelong journey supporting NYJ.

Well done @Brook! , @LogeSection2RowJ , @NoodleArm , @Adam and many others who will respond likewise.

GQMartin, LogeSection2RowJ and donkey like this.
  19. LogeSection2RowJ

I'm still pissed at myself for not being in London for that Dolphin-destruction. Man, how I would have relished that. (With Real Ale)

20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahah dude there is absolutely no reason to go to McSorleys.....theres 2,546,432,234 better beers in the world...its just crap

donkey likes this.