Does this franchise have any idea or direction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 17, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

How many of his draft picks have become impact players, guys who opposing teams have to game plan for? Leo, Adams, and Maye haven't become that yet, but could this year. Anderson was a great UDFA, but his off field actions have became an issue(that's not all on Mac). Still no QB(for now), no game changing RB, no edge rusher, no franchise LT. I do give Mac credit for purging the roster of unproductive vets, but I would like to see some impact players from his draft picks, especially on offense.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how many players of the 250ish drafted players become impact players in their 1st year, or even 2nd year? It's pretty slim percentage. again we need realistic expectations. the bets baseball players fail 7 out of 10 times at the plate, same goes for GMs pretty much. he's built a young core very well. even if a GM was to hit on all their draft picks, they'd never be able to keep them all because of the cap. hell the rams drafted 2 excellent CBs in the same draft, jenkins and johnson. they had to let both walk because of the cap. that's life in the NFL

3. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Agreed, the team as a whole has improved with Free Agency. I too do not think much of bring McCown back, other than him developing a relationship/rapport with Bridgewater and the #3 pick when he is the QB coach in 2019. With the improved cast, the team should improve on the field, with the hope Bridgewater returns to old form/better form etc... if he doesn't then yes, 2018 will be like the past 40 years or so.. but with an early pick in 2019, as I said above, the future can be bright with a good supporting cast and a franchise QB in 2019 draft.

4. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Nick Foles isnt a franchise QB and he was Superbowl MVP.We dont have a well rounded team we are not a QB away from the Superbowl.I feel like Mac made this trade just to steal headlines from the Vikings and Cousins so people forget about the fact that we didnt land him.Rex almost got us there twice with Sanchez at qb.

boozer32 and tbruner12 like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You do realize that neither McCown or Bridgewater have guaranteed contracts right? Either can be cut this year, or traded.
    I wasn't a fan of trading up, would have been very happy trading back and adding a pick this year and an extra first next year to move up for a QB.(Stidham or Lock) but if we can lock down a FQB this year, holes can easily be filled next year in free agency and the draft.
    It's not about this year, it's about the next 10 plus years.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Can we cut that down to 5 years lol.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

Well if the rookie QB proves worth the trade up and pick, I hope he is around for more than 5 years....

boozer32 likes this.
  8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

2019 could be an even better off-season if the 2018 squad can perform well enough to attract FA's.

stinkyB likes this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

McCown's 10m is guaranteed and Bridgewater has 1m guaranteed.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They will also only have 30 players under contract so that doesn't sound like a lot to me especially when you consider we had over 60 under contract going into this offseason with 90m available.

Jets69 and LF911SC like this.
  11. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Outside of the QBs, how many teams have players you have to game plan for? NE, Gronk? Anyone else? Anyone else in the AFCE? Who the SB Eagles? Think it's a little cliche and overblown. Build a solid team and who cares about a player that needs to be gameplanned. Giants have Beckham, does he make them a contender on his own?

Jets69 likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

#132 TonyFtLaud, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

The new qb will be drafted to make us a playoff team down the road so your argument that we are not a qb away makes no sense. When he’s ready so will the rest of the team. Mac is taking the long view

14. LongIslandBlitz

The long view?It's year 4 I've been hearing about this "long term plan" for 6 years now since Idzik.Jets fans talk about this mythical long term rebuilding stuff in the NFL like it actually exists

boozer32 likes this.
  15. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

So don’t get a qb? Our stupid fucking owner finally stopped thinking short term and see what direction we are headed. There was no long term plan until we got rid of those old over paid Brandon Marshall type guys. U gotta give this gm a chance to do it right now that woody is buried in tbe UK. I get the frustration but we have no choice but to hope we finally get it right

16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Sorry but the Jets should trade every second round pick until the end of time ! in regards to spending 17 mil on 2 quarterbacks what do you care it isn't your money ...

17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The reason we had to pay a premium price is because we were bidding against other teams an article I read said there were multiple teams trying to move up to #3. Plus the move also makes it harder for buffalo & Broncos to Draft a FQB. A FQB is well worth 3 #2 picks. We are guaranteed at least a pick of 2 of the top 4 Qb's and a good chance of landing 1 of the top 2 Qb's if Giants or Browns Draft other than Qb. I like the move. Since 1963 I have seen the good the bad & the ugly it's time we land a FQB.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

On of the rare times we agree LF! As much as I've been a critic of Macc, with this bold move he's changed my assessment. I'm not ready to name him Exec of the Year, but to me it looks like he had a plan with several options if things didn't go the way he wanted them to.

First choice: Sign Cousins, then likely stay at #6 and take BPA.
    2nd Choice: Sign McCown and Bridgewater and try to move up to get one of the top QBs as he has them rated. I have no idea which order he has them in, but I'm hoping it's Rosen >>>Mayfield>>>Darnold>>>Allen.

I think this approach was smart. McCown is obviously old, and coming off an injury, plus the odds are he's not going to have TWO career years in a row (See, Fitzpatrick, Ryan). And Bridgewater hasn't shown for certain that he's fully recovered. But one or both will probably be able to play to start the season, and allow the rookie some time to get up to speed. Given Macc will be taking a highly rated QB, the odds are also that if need be, he could start at some point this season.

To me, this shows a good blend of daring and prudence. Now if he actually picks the RIGHT QB and we end our decades long search for him then I'll nominate him for Exec of the Year!

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The only team in the NFl that has long term thinking is New England. Everyone else is trying to win now.

20. LongIslandBlitz

In the era of modern technology if you think Woody isn't involved in these decisions still you are out of your mind.What do you think he sends a Raven to florham Park to get messages out?