Does this franchise have any idea or direction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Next years second rounder....uugghh wait, we don't have one. All joking aside, they can still trade back from first round to get a second rounder next year, when they go 5-11 again.

#101 Red Menace, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I am fairly amazed that the only lineman we have signed is Long , am I mistaken did I miss a signing ? PS I am not talking about the resigning of our own guys Im talking actual upgrades . I really would have liked Pugh but he's gone,,,who else is left worth going after ?

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

So we finally grab our balls to get one of these 3 franchise QB's, and everyone is bitching and groaning.... What do you guys fucking want?

ColoradoContrails and xxedge72x like this.
  4. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Again for me I am not against the move just to complain. I just think that the overall QB moves this year have not been thought out properly. If you are going to pay that much to move up in the draft then there is no reason to get both McCown and Bridgewater. It's a waste of resources. IMHO the $10M to McCown is WAY too much. I don't understand the Jets infatuation with him. He may be a great teammate, but in my book he's not worth $10M of cap money - especially if you are going to sign Bridgewater (who is also said to be a great teammate). If you sign Bridgewater and have him pass a physical then he should be expected to be able to play. No reason you need a $10M McCown on the roster. Who else are you bidding against?

Also, I believe that the Jets paid too much to move up for the three extra spots - especially when you compare it to the most recent trade-up for Wentz. Those that say that the Jets gave up less than the Eagles are not reading the charts the right way (IMHO). Not that the chart is law, but it can definitely be used as a guide.

RochesterJet likes this.
  5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I do not mind the moves. The QB market is going up and they would have gotten that money anyway. McCown is a great mentor and that is why is he back. Teddy is the backup plan in case the rookie shits the bed. Teddy is a low risk high reward signing. If he wasn't getting the 15 million from us, he was getting it elsewhere.

Be happy that we didn't have to give a first rounder next year to move up three spots. Forget about the charts and values, it all depends on who is in the draft that given year. This year there is 3 franchise QB's and when you haven't had a franchise QB since Pennington, you gotta do what you gotta do to get your guy. We won't be complaining about this at all if this guy is our QB for the next 10+ years.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

So an artical is now gospel? SI wants to sell subscriptions correct?

Again, your lack of explanation is an admission of your inability to counter my FACTS of how the timeline played out.

Good day sir

tbruner12 likes this.
  7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Joe Flacco (guy hasn’t done shit in 3 years and I don’t consider him a top 10 QB today).
    Nick Foles

Yes the goal is to win and continue winning, but being in the SB is a feat in itself-
    How about you take a dive into super bowl QB who didn’t win the title. All I’m saying is there are many ways tonskin a cat

Delhome
    McNabb
    Rex
    Hasselbeck

8. Did you read the article though? It really does provide alot of perspective on the timeline & the jets thinking. Gotta be honest...w. how informative the piece was & what was outlined..it kinda IS gospel within this argument.

As for selling subscriptions being SI's end means, if that were the case wouldn't they have just bashed the Jets & called them clueless like every other national media outlet does?

9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Many people talk about how great McCown is as a mentor. However, I took a look at the younger QB's on McCown's teams and this is what I found about McCown and his "pupils" prior to joining the Jets:

Age 28 – Oakland: Jamarcus Russell (Age 22)
    Age 32-34 – Chicago: Jay Cutler (Ages 28-30)
    Age 35 – Tampa Bay: Mike Glennon (Age 25)
    Age 36 – Browns: Johnny Manziel (Age 23)

You add in Hack and Petty and it doesn't show a great list of McCown's successes as a mentor. This is not meant to discount Josh as a teammate. However, perhaps the value of a older QB as a "mentor" is highly over-rated. Indeed, in the annuls of NFL the fact that great QB's (that obviously have great work ethics or most wouldn't be great) are usually followed by less than stellar replacements leads me to believe that QB "guru knowledge" isn't easily spread from one person to another.

To me, if Josh is such a great influence on future QB's (and I don't know if you can quantify that) hire him for $1M / year QB coach. He's probably older than many of the QB coaches already. The Jets could save $9M on the cap and the Johnsons can pocket the $9M or reduce the price of all the food items at Metlife by $1 :). Kidding aside, perhaps the Jets could have signed an additional OL (who would have helped out any QB) or Mathieu (who signed a one year deal for $7M). Just throwing out spitballs here.

Also to your point " Forget about the charts and values, it all depends on who is in the draft that given year". Looking at the draft on a year by year basis the Eagles in 2016 moved up to #2 in a two QB draft (from the #8 spot). The Jet's moved up to #3 in what many consider a four QB draft. And in 2016 Wentz' only issue was that he came from a small school. The QB's in this draft all have somewhat bigger issues (hence why everyone is all over the map on their favorite QB's). Therefore, it can definitely be argued that the Eagles pick was actually more valuable and they gave up less than the Jets in relation to where each team came from and where each ended up.

As for Bridgewater, I have no problem with the that signing. In fact I would have pushed for a second year option that the Jets could choose to exercise (even if it had meant more money - I would have taken it from what the Jets gave McCown).

I just don't think that all three of the actions that the Jets took this year with regards to the QB position were well thought out. They were obviously thought out. Whether they were well thought out is up for debate.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If TB is healthy and resumes his accent as an NFL franchise QB you can trade the 3 this year to a QB desperate team for picks and players at any time. Next year's class is very thin at QB. It's possible any one of the 4 picked this year that doesn't play will have more value next year? The Packers sent a solid starting CB to Cleveland for Kizer who was a 2nd round pick last year who had a disaster season.

It's also possible that TB doesn't recover to become a great franchise QB but recovers enough to be a long term backup.

I live in AZ and the Cardinals are tying up 24 million in Bradford and Glennon. Denver is rolling with Keenum at 18 million. The guy is a backup QB on any team that doesn't play in a dome. You have to look at this trade as the Jets love 3 or 4 QB's, they are in competition with the Bills who's in their division and they just traded up for what is effectively the No. 1 pick if you have these guys graded pretty much equally.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can't mentor stupid. He didn't interview and draft them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Welcome Back Winston BIGGGGGGS!

13. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I agree. My point (as I mentioned) wasn't to blame McCown. My point was that this "mentor thing" is overvalued and the $10M could have been spent better. I believe that the Jets future QB will succeed / fail based on his own merits and the other pieces of the puzzle that the Jets provide - not on whether McCown is there to "mentor" him. If the Jets want someone to teach their first round draft choice hire a QB coach - McCown for all I care.

Ralebird likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even a year ago, I wouldn't have agreed with you. Now, I'm much more inclined to. I hope that I'm wrong and Mac either learned his lesson or was always willing to be more aggressive, but I was shocked that Mac actually traded up. I think that was more out of desperation because he knows if he doesn't find a potential long-term answer at QB this season he's probably gone by next season. That said, I think the final analysis on Mac all depends upon why things happened the way they did in 2015, Mac's first year. If it was Mac's decision to try the competitive rebuild and bring in all those older FAs, then he deserves all the criticism. If, however, he wanted to tear the team down and start the rebuild then, but Woody ordered him to try to make the playoffs or if Mac was forced to do the competitive rebuild due to Idzik's not having spent the money and Mac had to spend all that money in 2015, then I don't think all the criticism for that part is merited. I do think he has missed on too many draft picks, hasn't done enough to upgrade the OL, has perhaps been too conservative in trying to trade up for Laremy Tunsil and Goff/Wentz, and could have done more in FA. I didn't like all the trade downs last year for lower round picks. I think he has basically done a good job with contracts in terms of not tieing up the Jets' cap for more than a year or two on most of the contracts, and has handled the cap pretty well. I think he has done a pretty good job with trades, whether they be for players (Marshall, Fitz) or moving up this year. If he cuts both Petty and Hack (or cuts Petty and relegates Hack to the PS), then I love his plan of solidifying the QB position by re-signing McCown, signing Teddy and drafting a rookie. I think he gave himself two chances to find a FQB.

If he drafts the right QB at #3 (one of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield) rather than Allen, or Barkley or Chubb, then I'll be willing to give him another year or two to see how things play out. If he takes a non-QB at #3, I'll want him fired on the spot. If he takes Allen, I'll be willing to give him a couple of years to see if Allen develops and how Mayfield does in the NFL. If he takes Allen, Allen busts and Mayfield becomes a star in the NFL then I'll want Mac's head on a spike at MetLife Stadium.

15. NCJetsfan

There are still some decent OL available in FA. There will be some decent to good OL prospects available in the 3rd & 4th rounds of the upcoming draft. There will be some decent, albeit older OL who will be camp cuts. There will be decent to very good OL available in 2019 as FAs and there will be good ones in the draft. Mac could take our future LT with the #1 pick next year, or he could trade down, potentially add a 2nd round pick (and possibly more depending upon where the Jets are drafting, how far he trades down, and if there are any players coveted by other teams at that spot), and take a couple of really good OL prospects in next year's draft.

Unless McCown gets injured or is as terrible as some think he will be this year and Teddy is injured or badly ineffective due to rust, the rookie QB may not play until the last couple of games of the season, and if the Jets are competing for a playoff spot, then he probably won't play at all.

That's the advantage of having McCown. If our OL isn't any better, then let him take the beating and spare the rookie. Meanwhile, the Jets will get some idea about Teddy's health and level of play and the rookie, hopefully both continue to develop, look good and the Jets can keep both next year and for the forseeable future.

16. NCJetsfan

I don't see Foles as a FQB. I see him as a good backup.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pretty much my thoughts on Mac. Not the train wreck Idzik was, but hasn't done enough to make me confident that he can build a roster that can be a contender year after year. Obviously, his time as GM will be defined by how the QB he picks at 3 turns out. I'm even less confident that Bowles is the coach who will lead us deep into the playoffs which sucks because I loved how he handled everything when he was hired in 2015.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Every report is that no one other than a handful of paranoid fans see panic. Its been reported that as soon as it was final that we failed to lure Cousins to the Jets they immediately went to plan B which was to resign McCown and bring in Bridgetwater. The next piece was to move up into the top 3 to get one of their 3 top QBs.

I dont get the confusion here, how anyone can complain that Macc was proactive as opposed to sitting around waiting for the draft to come to him.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Mac totally disagrees with you and so do I.

To begin with, look at how many posters here are unhappy either with the trade up or adding both. Do you think that most fans would have been happy just writing off the upcoming season and perhaps going winless? I don't. Even though with Teddy and a rookie, the Jets have two chances of finding a FQB, what if Mac just signed Teddy, drafted a rookie and kept Hack? It would have been too risky. What if Teddy isn't healthy? What if he still has a lot of rust from not playing in two years? What if he goes down with a serious injury? What if the rookie isn't ready to play yet and they could risk hurting his development by throwing him to the wolves? What's he going to do then, start Hack? Mac knows that Hack is still nowhere near being ready to start if he ever will be. Don't forget that Teddy has to learn our offense as well as the rookie.

For similar reasons, I doubt if few would have been satisfied with just bringing back McCown and drafting a rookie. McCown could play horribly this year or get injured, and if the rookie isn't ready to play, we're back to Petty or Hack playing. Bowles is comfortable with McCown as are a lot of the offensive players.

With the way that Mac did things he has real depth at the QB position for the first time since we had Vinny and Chad. McCown can start out OTAs as the starter, and quite possibly Teddy or the rookie can beat him out. If not, the Jets have their starter to begin the season. If McCown gets injured or doesn't play well, then hopefully either Teddy or the Rookie would be ready to step in by that point. McCown can help both Teddy and the rookie learn the WCO and its finer points. For whichever rookie QB the Jets get McCown and Teddy should be great influences in work ethic, leadership, how to practice, work hard, etc., and if Mayfield does have immaturity or character issues, both should help him as well. Their leadership and character in the locker room and on the field should be huge in helping the Jets develop the type of culture that they're seeking to build. One can't have too many leaders. The more one has, the better.

McCown was paid $8 million last season. QB salaries have gone up. Did Mac overpay? Perhaps, but it isn't your or my money, and a million or two overpayment is not that big a deal unless it prevents the Jets from signing a FA they really want. If that was the case, they could cut someone else or restructure someone's contract.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the crazy thing is, mac has done exactly what the top GMs do, yeah he's missed a few picks. every GM has but he's overall drafted us some good players, got rid of dead weight, and replaced vets with cheaper better performing young players, all while not losing any big talent and bringing in some top free agents, plus he's landed us in a position to draft a FQB as well. Big picture, mac is doing a great job