Does He Make Your Top 5?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by truthbtold, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Look, we all agree that Sanchez can no longer QB the Jets and that this season has been a complete disaster, but ......

To call him the biggest disappointment in Jets history is absurd. He went 24-14 in his first two seasons here with 4 playoff wins and two AFC Championship Game losses where he played better than the rest of the team and was let down by the "championship" defense that got picked apart by Manning in 09 and run over by the Steelers in 10.

The Jets are the poster children on how not to develop a QB. The handling of Sanchez in 2011 and this year has been awful, from personnel to systems to the distractions. Last year he had a turnstile for a RT and a WR corps that was old and slow and could not get separation. Plus the Jets locker room came apart. So what happens in 2012? The RT issue is not fixed until late, the geriatric WR crew is replaced by a bunch of young unproven players and other team's cast offs. The locker room is handled by bringing in the most divisive, distracting player in the NFL. And the offensive system and play calling remain horrendous.

This does not mean that I support Sanchez remaining a Jet. He is toast.

But the Jets are as complicit as he is.

And as for those who say that we never thought we had our QB for the next 10 years, I say really? After all those 4th quarter comebacks in 2010???? After beating and outplaying Palmer, Rivers, Manning and Brady in the playoffs ???????

Sanchez has been the most scrutinized, criticized player I have ever seen in 45 years of following football.

He is not even close to being the most disappointing. He was at the helm of two of the most exciting years in Jets history and got us closer to a SB than any QB since Namath.

Robertson, Gholston, Jones, Barzilauskas, Brady, Mitchell and others were far more disappointing than Sanchez. I would even say Favre was more disappointing than Sanchez considering the seasons he had before and after he was a Jet.

The hatred of Jets fans for another human being is just out of control.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You see everything in black and white man, shit doesn't workout that way. Coaches don't take chances on horrible players? Who the heck told you that crap? Vernon Gholston was signed by the Bears and ultimately cut. Matt Leinhart, David Carr, Ron fucking Dayne were all respectively signed by teams. Great coaches coach up players and make them better than your usual coach.

3. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. At least Sanchez did have some bright moments. Ghost was a sure-thing sack guy that didn't have one sack. It would be like if Sanchez never ever through a TD in his career.

Tebow? Anybody?

4. Jetsetter34

Jetsetter34 New Member

Picking QB's and having them bust sets your team back for years. anyone else may mess up a game or two but they get yanked. when you rely on the QB as much as teams do in the nfl when they bust... well it hurts a lot longer.

USC QB SUCK!!!!!

I hope we never draft another one.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I think a lot of you guys just don't seem to get it.
    Gholston might have been the worst player in Jets history ... but that's really not the point.

I don't ever remember turning off the TV as disappointed as I was on Monday night. I never sat there after a Vernon Gholston no-show and thought to myself -- "This team threw away that pick. we're screwed because our DE can't play".

Mark Sanchez is (was) the goddamn quarterback. Get it? ... THE QUARTERBACK.

The whole nation just watched him do everything he could to throw away our season ... and get bailed out by the most unexpected, break of a lifetime ... and he STILL found a way to get the job done. When exactly did Gholston ever do that?

We've wasted a #5 pick, threw away 4 years, and invested miliions and millions of dollars in him ... only to come to the inescapable reality that the guy CAN'T PLAY. Not even a little. He's the "franchise" quarterback ... and he doesn't even belong on an NFL field. We either have to keep him around and pay him 8 million dollars to hold a clipboard, or cripple ourselves with a 17 million dollar cap hit. We're the laughing stock of the league.

His play has embarrassed the organization in a way that no other player ever has.

6. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

We signed Aaron Maybin who was quintessential bust material. We got some decent production out of him, considering. Just to illustrate your point.

Oh and on the flip side, Wayne Hunter's played semi-decent from the rams.

Speak for yourself. I definitely dont agree with the "disaster" statement. After our horrible preseason, no TDs, the Wayne Hunter debacle, etc. If you had told me Revis and Holmes would be out for the season and Hill and Keller would miss significant time, I'd have given em 5 no more than 6 wins. We'll at least get seven. Jacksonville, c'mon.

As far as "we all know Sanchez is gone" Im not ready to say that with absolute certainty. It looks to me like we're gonna wind up with MV7 and I am behind that 100%, but if we take some second round rookie, I'd at least like to have a pre-season. Look at Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Weeden. Would you take a straight up trade Sanchez for Gabbert. I wouldn't.

Its gonna be hard to trade Sanchez with his contract anyway. Im cool with him, just not as a starter. As long as he can handle that.

7. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Have you guys remembered Haight and Cadigan? They were two 1st round O-linemen drafted in 80s who were both nothing better than JAGs. Cadigan was a #8 overall IRRC.

8. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

He has a winning record in the regular season and post-season. That should automatically DQ him.

QBs bust out all the time. Its nothing new. Carr, Russell, Leaf, Young, Leinart, I could keep going. And unlike them at least Sanchez had a couple good years.

The whole fucking team sucks this year. That reflect on the QB a lot. The 49ers have been the prime example of that. A. Smith would have easily been on the list above had they given up on him before harbaugh and that defense got there.

And Im not really arguing with you about Sanchez, I want Vick too, Im just saying.... Most disappointing player ever in a jets uniform was the QB in 2 AFC champ games? That's absurd.

Most disappointing player on this roster this year? Yeah. Okay.

9. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

I was born 1990, but my dad actually talks about that a lot. Weird you bring it up.

10. TheBlairThomasFumble

They were exactly the types of picks the Jets would make in the late 80s that would make you go crazy.

Jets picked Cadigan at 8. Cowboys picked Irvin at 11.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_NFL_Draft

11. TheBlairThomasFumble

Gholston suffered from "I juiced in college but I don't want to get caught so I'm going off 'roids in the pros."

Guy was 100% a steroid creation, just like Mandarich.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Sanchez had times where he was good and I liked him. This is the first reason I've been really disappointed with him and want him gone. Gholston was awful from day 1 and I was sooo excited when we drafted him so he's definitely my number 1. I wanted to see our star pass rusher terrorize QBs for years to come. Drafted 6th overall. He was supposed to be a can't miss pass rusher. Body like an absolute monster. Destroyed the combine.

The disappointment of Gholston's rookie year and his second year when Rex said he could help him. So awful.