Does Darnold give you the confidence that he is the Savior of Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He had a lot of interceptions dropped by people who are defenders for just that reason: they can’t catch.

Sure, it happens with every QB, but Sam seemed to have a lot.

I believe he’ll clean that up and be fine, but it could have been a lot worse last season.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It's not hatred in the slightest. It's more confusion as to how people are viewing a kid that's never been a good thrower, playing the position that requires to be a good thrower at the highest level of the sport. It would be one thing if Allen as a solid college QB that had growing pains in his first year but there's a solid foundation to work with. He's not. The foundation is a cannon for an arm and crazy athleticism for his size. That only gets you so far.

This is why I take Rosen almost every time. You know there's something there because he displayed it all at one point in his career. Allen has never done that. Both struggled as a pro but one of them at least has something you can point at to say hey, it's there, we just gotta find it and work on it.

You can't use one game as an example because that leaves out all the others in that stretch you're referencing where he was just as bad, if not worse. 5 of his 13 total TDs since his return from injury came in one game and only 1 of his 7 INTs. What does that say for the rest of those games? He was not good. He averaged 300+ yards because of two outlier games where he ran for 100+ yards. Again, context is key here.

If you are talking about what a player brings to a team then to me, the best way to see their value is to replace them with another player and compare it. That's where McCown factors in.

As I asked above... what leads you to believe that there's something inside of him to unlock?

Noam likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

could say that about a lot of QBs in this league

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

A lot of folks take being wrong about something too hard. They all wanna be internet draft experts and for whatever reason - they determined the guy from Wyoming that they probably never watched play - was trash.

Its weird but like they have an emotional response when it turns out they might actually be wrong. It would be far worse though if Allen was a Jets QB, then they would have to deal with the conundrum of either being right OR wrong and have their favorite team win. Super awkward, its happened alot. At least Allen is a Buffalo Bill so we can all hate on him. good or bad.

KurtTheJetsFan and K'OB like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well I know you are like a bulldog that won't let go whilst having "discussions" so I will just say that somebody somewhere must think he has something to work on or they wouldn't have spunked a high draft pick on him and then all those experts who were tipping him for greatness a year before the draft etc.

I didn't like him pre-draft so I am somewhat in agreement but you can't outright call the kid trash when he has shown abilities that is just odd behaviour, the way you portray him and the other lad you would think he had shown all the talent that Hack never got to show us in a real game, now that would be trash.

If Allen only ever throws for 50% accuracy but is winning games with TD's off his feet while still learning as a QB who can say what he will be like in another 3 seasons, obviously as a divisional rival QB I would prefer it that he was shite but I am not that nasty to wish a young mans career down the toilet tbh if he was a Pat then maybe it would be a different story lol

6. K'OB

I only got involved as I couldn't see him as a "trash" QB in all reality I don't really care but then you get dragged in and here we are hours later lol

I wanted Mayfield as the QB but really I wanted the Jet supporting Barkley but I am happy with Sam and hope that we got it right at last :)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I dunno what the bulldog thing is so I'll skip it.

He's shown almost no QB ability in the traditional sense. He's only made plays with his feet unless he's chucking a bomb to someone that outran their defender. I'm sure he's made a throw here and there, but he's been mostly terrible throwing the ball and I don't think that's too unfair. Why is it odd behavior to say that a guy who has never shown the ability to be a legitimate passer will never be a legitimate passer?

Now I'm not calling him the next Hack, but at least you can point to his freshman year at Penn State and say ok, it's in there somewhere. At what point in Allen's career have you been able to say that other than when he's chucking bombs?

Noam likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

Or... and hear me out here... maybe someone just has a different opinion than you that can be backed up?

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I hate to say it but I saw everyone of Rosen's snaps this past year. As bad as he looked, he was miles better than Sam Bradford running the same O before the OL was completely decimated. Rosen made some great throws when he actually had a pocket which was almost never. The Cardinals didn't even have an OC most of the year.

I get the hate for Todd Bowles but Bowles was Vince Lombardi compared to Steve Wilks.

For me the thing that Rosen showed, which I worried about, was he could take an amazing beating get up and shake it off and continue to go out and get the crap kicked out of him with no plan from the sidelines. It would have been merciful to bench him.

Interestingly the Cardinals brought in a HC who Rosen really doesn't fit in with. I could see him do very well on a team with an actual offensive plan, any plan.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

There was zero question about Allen being a better NFL QB than Rosen this season.
    Those still claiming Rosen is somehow better are just hanging on to their pre-draft opinions..

BrowningNagle likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

So you're ready to dictate their NFL careers based off their first seasons?

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not without some weapons at the skill positions and a decent OL, neither of which MacCagnan has secured after 4 years already.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No, there is still plenty of football ahead for the 2018 class of QB's, and a lot can change.

But as of right now, Allen is clearly well ahead of Rosen.
    Rosen was the only QB that didn't look like he belonged in this league, so he's got a lot of ground to make up on the other guys.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You quote me I will respond. You quote me with a nothing rant about a tweet from the jets marketing dept I will respond with a nothing post. Seemed like a pretty simple interaction

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Good story, bro, but I didn't quote you because you hadn't said anything. As usual. I responded to the posting of a tweet purportedly from the NY Jets; the fact that you put it here is immaterial. I gave my opinion of that tweet which is more than what you had done with your posting. As usual. Nothing.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ah well my apologies, I should have not remarked on what a cool story your nothing rant was , bruh.

17. K'OB

This is what a bulldog that won't let go is like, the same as in every discussion that you don't agree with the other poster :)

Well, you are a poster on a message board and the people that rated him high enough to take with a high draft get paid and presumably the scout that they also employ has sat and watched every single thing he can on this player and believes there is something in him, then there is the small matter of him currently starting for an NFL team, so what is odd about you thinking he has no legitimate skillset? I mean really? Come on man :rolleyes:

18. K'OB

When you typed this, how could you not think, hmm if only I reversed this sometimes :rolleyes:

19. K'OB

That was the fucking original question and the whole point of the conversation before you joined it, so yes that was what we were doing.

Also are you ready to tell the world Allen is not a legitimate passer based on... Ah fuck it what it the point, I'm out.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

When you understand the difference between a story and an opinion get back to me.