Do you favor the NFL's new flex scheduling system?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by dclark26, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

Tonight at 6 pm, the NFL network will announce the schedules for the up coming year. I have heard that season ticket holders could really be inconvienced by this, especially later in the year. For example if the Jets had a good record later in the season and they had a divisonal matchup against another team with a winning record the game could be moved to a later date, even as early as week before the game is supposed to be played. Time slots for marquee matchups will be moved to Sunday night on NBC or a different prime time slot. I do like the Thursday and Saturday games. Just goes to show its all about the almighty dollar and getting the highest possible ratings.

2. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of it.

3. The Mariner

The Mariner New Member

I am not a season ticket holder and I get frustrated watching boring primetime football late in the season, so I think this is a good system.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Looks like you may have bad information.

First off, the schedule will be announced at 2:00.
    All Sunday night games for Weeks 10-15 and 17 will be taken from originally scheduled Sunday day games of the same Week.

For instance, Jets are scheduled to play at New England at 1pm on Sunday, December 3. If both teams are good at that time, the league (or NBC, I guess) may decide to use that particular game as the Sunday night game.

Bottom line- seven games this season will get moved from Sunday afternoon to Sunday night.

This is not going to be a major problem for anyone. If somebody on the east coast gets pissed because a game was moved to Sunday night, then give your tickets to someone else.

5. ganooch

ganooch Member

It is a good idea unless you go to the games such as I do. Changing a game from day to night is not as bad as changing days, but their is a big diference in November-January from a 1:00 game to a night game. THe difference could be 20 30 degrees and no sun!!!!

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

^ I'll take your tickets off your hands. I like cold, night games.

7. ganooch

ganooch Member

i'm not saying that I won't go I'm just saying that it is a big difference.

8. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

it's disruptive and there's no reason for it. the rabid football fans watch whatever is on, and the "casual fan" is not going to tune into a game just because it has possible WC implications.

9. ganooch

ganooch Member

you are right. I like many others will watch any game regardless who is playing. I will watch college, nfl, high school, whatever is on. I guess the network suits believe it will help their ratings. I can't deny that it would be more entertaining to watch to teams with something on the line. Half of the problem we suffer as new york area jet fans is that we are stuck with watching the giants every week and get screwed oout of the doubleheaders most of the time.

10. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I kind of think its a good idea, Although I personally dont like the Monday night or Sunday night games because of work the next day after each late game. Once the schedule is posted I try my hardest to schedule my vacation time I have left to give me the Monday off if and only if the Jets are playing. The rest of the games I usually just watch a half maybe more if its a really REALLY good game.

11. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

Thanks Cakes, I wasn't exactly clear on the Schedual Option the NFL picked up and just too lazy to find out from myself.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It will make a difference. Cleveland-Miami on a Sunday night a couple years ago was dreadful. There will be a ratings increase when two good teams are playing. It's a fact. It's proven.

3rdand15Draw will turn any positive into a negative. You're hot stuff, man. And check the sig while you're at it.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I am a rabid fan and there have been many Sunday night and Monday games in recent years that I had trouble watching. I'd have 'em on for a few minutes and would go back and forth with them and other programming.

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

It's not a positive for the fans that go to the games that will be effected by this. All this proves is that the teams/NFL cares nothing for the season ticket holders and are the networks bitch. It's not a matter of "give the tickets away" its a matter of being inconvienenced at the games. Not only will the late season games be more uncomfortable at night in cold weather areas, but fans will be forced to deal with the drunken idiots that think a night game is a great reason to drink for 10 hours straight then embarass themselves inside the stadium.

Your sig is laughable.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Today the schedule will not show any Sunday Night games for Weeks 10-15 and 17. However, there will be a Sunday Night game for each week.

If a Jets season ticket holder sees Jets at Pats, 12/3 at 1:00, well, tough, he's going to have to realize that that game could be moved to 8:30.

You'll know about the change a few weeks in advance. I suppose two weeks in advance.

Again, 5th starters in the postseason- pretty darn worthless.
    Good middle relievers in the postseason- important.

Maybe the Mets don't make the postseason because they traded away Jae "The Next Nolan Ryan" Seo and if that happens, so be it. We'll jump off the Brooklyn Bridge together.

16. 3rdAnd15Draw

There's no need to keep going back and forth on this. I understand how people who watch the games on TV would enjoy this move. I don't enjoy it. Just don't tell me I'm being "negative" because I don't share your point of view.

As for Seo, I would argue that he is a middle of the rotation guy, and would be for sure the 3rd best starter on the pitching staff, if not the 2nd. Sanchez is a pretty good reliever, but a pretty good starters value is much higher then a pretty good reliever. I don't think anyone would dispute this.

#16 3rdAnd15Draw, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2005
  17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You come across as very negative in many different types of threads here. As a fellow Jets fan and tgg poster, I'd like to see you have some enjoyment in life.

Regular season I'd take the starter, but not in the postseason. The issue here is you think Seo is a good dependable starter. I think he's a 4th or 5th starter that cannot be depended upon because he hasn't strung together consecutive good seasons.

18. 3rdAnd15Draw

Maybe complaining about the NFL scheduling does give me enjoyment? Seriously though, the title of this thread is "Do you like the new flex schedule?" I don't, end of story. Are the people that are pissed about the Jets staying in Jersey being negative? Obviously they'd like to have the stadium closer to where they live for their convienence. I like 5 minutes away from where it is now so I was happy they're going to be remaining here. It's not an issue of being positive or negative.

So game 3 of the NLCS you'd rather have Trachsel, Zambrano or Bannister going then Seo? IMO Seo is a significant upgrade over any of these choices.

19. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

Thank you for correcting me. I did get this info from a friend of mind. Some friend

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Today, I'd rather have Trachsel.