Do the Jets have a window to take the town?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I live in LA...so I mostly don't give a shit.

2. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

The take over the town garbage is what the losing teams in NY worry about..look at the Mets..that lasted about 2 years.

3. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

I root for the Jets and don't give a shit about anyone's perceptions for who owns what.
    NY is a predominantly front-runner town. Cause the bars are more fun when someone is winning.

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Except when it isn't. And there have been stretches like that in recent memory. Heck in 2015 when the Mets were in the WS the town was so Mets crazy it was like the Yankees didn't exist.

They Jets didn't even win or get to a damn Super Bowl with Rex but after beating the Pats in the Divisional Playoff...it was a Jets town. It was really a Jets town from 2009-2011

The Giants and Yankees have more core fans than the Jets and Mets based on history and success, but it's actually a lot closer than people think.

Yankees and Giants fans generally won't jump ship, but they do get apathetic and disappear very fast. So do our fans, but I generally find a Jets/Mets fan will be more engaged and in the loop of what's going on with their team year round than the lordly Yankees/Giants fan. The Yankees/Giants guy will just be like "ok call me when they're good again"

#24 forevercursed, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Walt White likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

+1 spot on

It's amazing how fast Giants hats and stuff appear and disappear in my area.

The 98 Jets and the 86 Mets were there with any team in NY that I've seen as far as fans and excitement.

6. forevercursed

I'm not as bullish about their chances. There are some fast rising teams in the NFC (Eagles, Lions, Rams...and Dallas will get its shit together) who are going to really cement themselves with some lasting success along with Seattle, GB, Carolina, and Atlanta. The Giants have major question marks, at coach, QB, OL. What if Beckham is never the same? What if Snacks starts to decline (he'll be 29 this Nov) They have at best a murky future.

I think the Giants brass probably thinks long and hard about this and blows it up. Eli gone. Reese gone, McAdoo gone, Spagnuolo gone.

7. forevercursed

It's also interesting how the media protects and tries to uphold the Giants stately reputation even as they spiral down the toilet. You don't hear circus as much with them as you would with us. The press was positively cheerleading "loljets they'll go 0-16" in August

But they are an absolute circus right now. And they are definitely not being humiliated for it at the extent that we would. Or the Browns would

8. forevercursed

Absolutely untrue. If the Yankees have one bad year it will immediately start looking like 1991-1992 at Yankee Stadium. As soon as the Yankees fall off their pedestal a bit they fall back to the pack.

I'm no Rangers fan and hockey isn't king here, but the Rangers probably have the most loyal fans of all NY area teams.

9. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Unfortunately I have to agree. Until my b'luv'd Jets secure a bonafide QB, we'll continue to suffer thru seasons of "almost there/was/etc."..............:(

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, the Jets window to take the town was 2009-2011. The Giants won the Super Bowl.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I read the OP as meaning, will the Jets overtake the Giants in number of fans in the metro area. Being, I think, that number is hugely reliant on which way the fair weather fans are blowing, that is how I addressed my response.

In regards to my post, you are confusing being better for a few years with having a better record one season. As I mentioned the Jets had the band wagon fans in 2009-2010 when they went to the AFC Championship game. After that the Giants won the Super Bowl and if you don't realize that is the ultimate magnet to band wagoners then I guess we don't have anything to talk about.

The following season the Giants were 9-7 and the Jets 6-10, nothing there to make anyone jump off the band wagon. 2013 the Jets are 8-8 and the Giants 7-9, doesn't matter that the jets had 1 more win than the Giants, no wagon there for band wagon fans to jump on. 2014 Giants were 6-10 but the Jets were 4-12, nope, no one is switching to the Jets side. 2015 Jets have a much better record but don't make the playoffs, you may, by this time, have some jumping off the Giants band wagon but I don't see many jumping on the Jets. 2016 Giants once again make the playoffs while the Jets are in last, some that were ready to jump off the Giants stay on the band wagon, any that were thinking about moving over to the Jets rethink it.

This is not about year to year records, it is about which team does enough to get the fans that always go with the winner, not really fans but we will call them that anyway. Even if the Jets go 6-10 this year and the Giants are 2-14 do you really think that will make one of those "fans" say, "I'm a Jets fan, not a Giants fan"? No, they will either jump over to hockey or basketball and be a band wagoner there. This is why I said from the beginning "the team that currently has a good few seasons will get the band wagoners for the area"

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This is true. John Mara has to be given credit for that. His father was terrible and the media really was hard on the Giants.
    John Mara has shown that he's a top owner, and I give him credit for their success. He even stepped in to fix things with Coughlin and will probably fix this. He demanded respectability and Fucking Woody enabled a dysfunctional circus as a plan, and is a little fool compared to John Mara