Do the Jets cut Jermaine Kearse or James Carpenter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't cut Kearse at all. The guy is a nice element to our pass game and we aren't exactly top loaded as of today, with a clear cut #1 gobbling up targets. Even if we did sign or get a true #1 I would keep our group in tact. Anderson, Kearse, Enunwa all bring different elements to the pass game. Since we don't have a clear TOP option, having diversity in skill set is the best way to be.

Carpenter seems like a cut tho.

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Cut carpenter and reallocate his salary towards Andrew Norwell.

3. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Id say keep both, unless they already have a replacement lined up

I like what Kearse brings to the table, not a star but consistent and reliable possession guy

4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Kearse is one of the vets who brings that winning mindset into the locker room. He doesn't just want to talk about making the playoffs, he's about winning the AFC East division. That's the next step. I want more Jermaine Kearse types on the team, not less.

AlexJETS likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Between injuries and the unstable off-the-field activity by our most talented WR, we keep Kearse as insurance until the rest of our WR's show staying power. Carpenter OTOH is a member of a Oline in transition so if we cut him, he can be replaced.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

These threads really make you wonder.... Cut Kearse.... Unreal

FlaJet, joe, Pepsiguy5 and 2 others like this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

With Robby being a jackass off the field, I would think that the Jets will opt to keep Kearse and also focus on giving Stewart and Hanson more reps. They will also get Enunwa back and Robby will need to work to get his spot back.

As for Carpenter, he did not have the best season last season but how much of that should be blamed on playing next to Wesley Johnson has to be considered. Another thing to consider is the transition to a zone blocking scheme which he may not excel it. Our o-line is so weak at this point that I would be hesitant to get rid of him.

But say we strike out on Cousins, you have 90 mil of cap, you can theoretically get 2-3 O-linemen in FA, and also use the draft to address the position.

I think there are a lot of variables to the situation and can totally see the jets holding on to Carpenter for now. If the position is addressed in FA they may let him go.

If we somehow land Quenton Nelson (doubtful), no shot Carpenter is brought back

FlaJet likes this.
  8. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Kearse should stay unless we are going to aggressively pursue, and sign, another starting caliber veteran WR. He exceeded my and many others expectations last season and is a good player to have in the lockerroom because he stays out of trouble, shows signs of leadership and can produce at the least serviceable numbers. I'm hoping more of Kearse rubs off on Robby Anderson.

As for Carpenter, I would let him go. He wasn't as good last season in Morton's system and I don't see him getting any better in Bates/Dennison's zone system. He's aging, in the final year of his contract and just isn't a scheme fit. That said, I hold onto him until after the draft. If you can land a Nelson at 6, he's gone. If you can land someone you like in the 2nd round, he's gone. If you can't, keep him for one final year. It could be worse (Ducasse).

9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm holding onto Kearse.

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't cut either.
    Our depth sucks, and these are both proven effective players in this league.

My one caveat might be Carpenter IF they don't feel he will fit in this new blocking scheme (which is why I hate constantly switching schemes, and prefer more man blocking anyway). But Carpenter is a solid player I wouldn't be too quick to discard with no alternatives currently on roster.

On a side note, sign Jensen.

FJF likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no point to cut him, he isn't costing much (5.5 mil) we don't need the cap and he's played very well. plus with enunwa coming off injury, anderson possibly getting a suspension, stuart not showing much, hansen not getting many reps we are thing enough as it is at WR. i'd love to add another WR in FA and draft St brown as well.

12. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

WHY do the Jets have to choose who they are going to keep?? This thread makes no sense to me. The Jets can and probably should resign BOTH.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

. (wrong thread)

14. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

How about the Johnsons cut their losses and just disband the team and buy a new one?

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

There once was a man from Nantucket
    Fuck Jetro Tull's threads

Jay Bizniss and The Waterboy like this.
  16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing, Kearse led the team in receptions, YAC, 1st downs and his cap hit is relatively inexpensive. Sure, let's cut him.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Is this a joke post?

Kearse was one of our best WRs in 2017.

Carpenter has been one our best o-lineman during his time here.

Neither one omg if MacCagnan cuts either one it's another red flag about his !$@#y talent evaluation skills.

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Cutting Kearse would be asinine. Carpenter, on the other hand, is definitely expendable.

MurrellMartin likes this.
  19. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

No fucking way should they cut Kearse. Nope. No. None.

GQMartin likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Saw Carpenter out in Morristown last night. Huge man.