Do the Jets cut Jermaine Kearse or James Carpenter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 1, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

What do the Jets do with Jermaine Kearse? You have to think that the team would prefer to give his targets to Enunwa who is younger and has more upside. The only reason I think they could keep him is the fact that Robby Anderson is an idiot. Do the Jets have anything in Hansen and Stewart or were those two wasted draft picks? If they keep Kearse I think that’s an indictment on those two.

Carpenter I certainly think is a goner. The two tackles actually held up pretty well last year. It was Carpenter, Johnson, and Winters that graded terribly. All three of those guys are not great fits for the zone blocking scheme that Morton and Bates like to run.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

They need to get Stewart and Hansen on the field, but I see no reason to dump Kearse unless one or both of them step up in a big way during TC and preseason.

FlaJet and Peebag like this.
  3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that this rebuild is getting deeper. At the rate our GM is upgrading our roster, we should be Super Bowl ready in about 25 years.

Cman68 and Jets81 like this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Kearse. O-line is too important. We can find a replacement for Kearse a lot easier

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In no way shape or form should we consider cutting Kearse. He’s the only steady member of the WR corps right now. Robby is a mess and Quincy is coming back from a year off.

I’d be more than fine losing Carpenter.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Cut Kearse with Quincy coming off neck surgery and Robby Anderson driving around wasted? Should probably keep Kearse, he was solid last year.

7. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I would not cut Kearse, he is the most reliable WR we have at this point in time.

FlaJet, tbruner12 and Jersey Joe 67 like this.
  8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Why would we consider dropping 2 of our most reliable and consistent starters? We are not hurting for cap space

JETS1116, FlaJet, Jake and 3 others like this.
  9. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

The biggest negative is Carpenter. He has no business on any NFL O-line. It won't save much money but it helps build up the war chest.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Who the fk will the QB to be named later throw too?

Obviously a lot of the Jets weight is dead weight. That’s how you get where we are now. But cutting Kearse would be a mistake.

Imagine it now...new QB with no protection and no one to throw too. That’ll be fun to watch.

FlaJet and tbruner12 like this.
  11. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Of the two, I would let Carpenter go.

FlaJet likes this.
  12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Either cut would save $5 million in cap space. However, I think Kearse is worth the $5 million hit. At the cap level we have, that money is peanuts.

Both are Free Agents next year so if we can afford to keep both this year, why not? It won't hurt our Cap in the future.

#12 Jetsruby, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    playtowinthegame likes this.
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Kearse is a very productive veteran guy who is a very good locker room presence, we've got around $100 million to spend , I would not let him go.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I would think moves like this would be considered by a team up against the cap, not one with $100 million to spare. I would like to think we can upgrade Carpenter through the draft or free agency, but Kearse is a solid veteran and we need some of those. If we cut everybody we'll be a damned expansion team.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I see no reason to cut Kearse, not until Enunwa proves to be healthy, Anderson can stay out of trouble and Hanson and/ or Stewart can prove to be productive. Which may be never..

Carpenter is a different story, I would think the goal is to replace him with a better fit in the Jets offense, at least I would hope it is.

Cman68 and Harpua like this.
  16. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

For the record, Anderson wasn't drunk or high. Just driving like he had a death wish and mentioning he'd like to rape the arresting officers wife!

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Carpenter is the best player left on the offensive line. It would be stupid to cut him.

Kearse is an attractive cut only because they have an out this year to cut him with no financial impact. His salary is only $5mill though. He's just an okay player. I could go either way with him

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Carpenter has played poorly in a zone blocking scheme before. He’s a likely target to up grade but I see no sense in cutting him until we have a replacement in line.

Kearse is a good vet for our young receivers to have around as a mentor and a good player to have with all the Uncertainty in our receivers. I agree he should not be cut for that price right now.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It depends on what they do in free agency and the draft. I can imagine scenarios in which either or both remain or are cut. As of now, no need to cut either. I am hearing that Carpenter may not be a good fit for the scheme Bates and Dennison are likely to run so he could be out.

20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Kearse no. Professional receiver. Could be considered our best. Enuwa off injury Anderson trouble with the law. With the young guys and inexperience I think we need to keep him.

As for Carpenter if we sign a few offensive lineman I think he will be cut. Don't think he fits into Dennison's scheme anyway so I think he will be cut.