Do All of The 1-Year Contract "Starters" Get a Deal?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Oct 9, 2017.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm coming off as cold, but everybody has a story. We hear about the stories of the people who succeed, so we assume having a story is correlated with success. But it isn't, the unsuccessful players' stories are just as good but we forget about them. So telling me these players' stories doesn't convince me of anything. Also when I use the word trash, I'm not saying they're worthless people, I'm pointing out that their previous employers were willing to let them go for no compensation.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wow, that seems harsh, I thought he had just missed one v Jags after that stupid delay of game penalty made it a 45yarder but he missed one against Miami supposedly but I can't remember it now, still he has rattled in 6 over 40-49 and a 57 yarder and you rate him MEH fuck me :eek:

3. K'OB

This doesn't make them trash or poor players it means one was a fucking piss head and they had had enough of him and the other was injury prone and they had had enough of him getting a season ending injury all the time.

Two reasons that they got the can with no compensation that also says they were not poor or trash players.

Not sure what you needed convinced about tbh, it is as plain as day.

4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

But I'm really, really horny.:confused:

5. HomeoftheJets

My definition of trash is when a team is willing to let a player go for no compensation even though they easily could have afforded him. Like how you're willing to get rid of your trash for free even though you could have kept it. If you have a different definition that's fine but we have nothing to argue about.

6. K'OB

So they are trash even when they have legit reasons for releasing them, I must admit to feeling a little confusion as to why you want to label them as trash (making them out to be poor players due to being released for no comp, whilst blatantly ignoring the player's "story" as you put it which is the only reason these two players got released with no comp:confused: ) but hey if that is an argument in the making then let's not bother tbh.

7. K'OB

Your name and avatar will not help you to fulfill this quest :p

Walt White likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

I think this is where the Internet gets in the way of communication. I'm not using "trash" negatively; it's just a way of saying teams aren't interested in a player for whatever reason. Same with "argue," I'm not talking about getting into a flame war, I'm using the word like a mathematician or lawyer. If we were talking in person I think it would have been cleared up immediately.

9. K'OB

Fair enough ;)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's the NFL teams let talented players go for off the field issues. people can change. we got marshall for practically nothing and he had a pro bowl season all cause he was a headache. 3 teams gave up on TO but he is a HOFer, 3 teams gave up on moss and he is a HOFer. SF let rice go because age and yet he still had a few great years for oakland. Sometimes a player can be good, but not a good fit for a certain team. Hell SD let brees walk and he went on to be a top 10 QB all time, win a SB a few MVPs and break records. NE let viniteri walk cause age and he's been in indy for like 5 years still kicking ass. We got holmes and braylon cheap as well and both had great years for us. In short, shit happens. cleveland gave up davis for nothing after cutting pryor

sometimes teams win and sometimes they lose.sometimes teams keep a player for too long, and sometimes long enough. We gave up on farrior and he went on to be an MVP for pitt. we lost that one. Lets be happy we have been on the winning side as of late.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Clairbornes contract expires and he was a free agent, I can't say for certain but he is not playing for league minimum so I assume he had other suitors,
    Kickers,whatever.
    ASJ and ealy both had to pass waivers and we were pretty bad last year and had a high waiver priority. At least with ealy I remember there being more than a few teams putting claims in for him. So the 30 teams didn't want them argument doesn't really fly here. Sometimes teams get lucky with players like we seem to have up to this point with those 3. Rarely at the same time but to this point you can't deny it has happened. Whether it is still true in 12 weeks remains to be seen

12. HomeoftheJets

Of course it happens. But the success rate is pretty bad. Usually when we sign a few castoffs, I don't expect much. This year a few of them are off to promising starts, but even still they're more likely to revert to their old selves than become studs. We have to take a wait and see approach, but IMO at the end of the season we'll be cooler on these players than we currently are.

13. HomeoftheJets

That's my point. I don't think it's going to look so rosy after Week 16, and it's too early to talk about extending these guys. I'm sure there was some interest in them, but I'm talking about significant interest, as in teams considering them to be starters.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK i've seen lots of players redeem themselves on new teams. holmes did for us, randy moss and the pats, rice and the raiders, brees and the saints, marshall for us etc. also many good players that walk are because money. sometimes teams cna't afford to play a great player they would want to keep. just like we let harrison walk. he's a great player was for us, is for the giants the cap creates the market and rarely do players stay with 1 team. it's the economy of the NFL

15. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He has 2 misses so far on the year which is why I want to see how he performs the rest of the year

16. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The Cowboys were in cap hell and forced with having to let go multiple FA's especially oft injured players looking for a pay day to stay,
    The Bucs had to save political face by cutting ties with a guy that just got a DUI and was on video saying some really weird shit,
    Chandler Catanzaro's career looks like this: 29/33, 28/31, 21/28, & so far this year 10/12. The Cardinals were upset about some big time misses when they really counted last year and made a knee-jerk reaction,
    The Pats briefly kicked Ealy's tires and sent him on his way which is common.

They're not? As in they don't make mistakes?

- The Cowboys have done nothing but make a litany of highly questionable decisions for about the past 15 years.
    - The Bucs drafted Roberto Aguayo in the 2nd round... who's now cut!
    - The Cardinals replaced a 26yo kicker who had one off year with a 42yo, all while taking a highly successful team and running it into the ground the past 2 years.
    - The Pats, based off of what they're defense looks like thus far how can you say they are the authority of wisdom at least this year when it comes to defensive talent evaluation?

While your analysis may not be wrong, the method used to arrive at such a conclusion is highly suspect.

FJF likes this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay. However, teams take chances on players all the time, and often enough they work too. Most of the issues are evident before they're drafted. All the players are men, not many are without fault. They're young and adjusting to the NFL is no joke. It's not easy. But there's success stories also and they are not uncommon. Everyone of these guys could turn out to be successful in the league. Just because we signed them doesn't make them trash. They would be getting a chance somewhere else because they all have the talent. It happens all the time.
    Again it's too early to even worry about it. But they all have done well in anybody's estimation so far. There's nothing wrong with that. If they keep it up it will be a score for the teams future. Especially ASJ. I've seen a few interviews with him and he seems really bright and cool as hell. He would be a major coup for them.
    Doesn't matter what the record is in the end either. You still see who plays well.. And you're looking for improvement throughout the team. Enough improvement to continue with the program. A losing record will not dictate their actions if they see improvement. Some Jets can cry til they're blue and it won't matter. Won't mean shit.

#37 Walt White, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

These guys all need to prove themselves over the course of a full season, so it's too early yet.

As of now, the guy I'd prioritize is ASJ.
    You can see the physical transformation, and it's yielding results.
    Fortunate timing for the Jets that he has made major life changes, and we happen to need that type of player big time.

Next up would be Ealy and maybe Claiborne.
    I wouldn't give either guy much in the way of guarantees though, or a way for the team to get out of contracts with minimal cap hit if needed.

David Bass, Demario Davis, and Josh McCown are all guys to monitor as well for depth.
    Retain if cheap.

19. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Everyone keep in mind that this is clearly all speculation based on the hypothetical that these players keep the same pace or trend higher. You don't have to stake your TGG reputation on backing these guys as if they are UNQUESTIONABLY clear-cut-no-question-locked&loaded-multi-year-deal-starters from this point until the end of their jets career.

This is all just for funzees, calm down.

20. Beki

Beki Active Member

At the moment, I would say, yes, bring back all of them. However, we need to evaluate them after the whole season.
    I'm really statisfied with Claiborne so far, but we are going to face with more pass happy offenses from now, real test is coming for him.

We will have a lot of questions to be answerred during next offseason:
    Fr QB, RB'(s), WR1, possible DL, starting ILB, CB's