Do All of The 1-Year Contract "Starters" Get a Deal?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Oct 9, 2017.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Morris Claiborne
    Wesley Johnson
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    Chandler Catanzaro
    Kony Ealy

We're at the quarter poll of the NFL season and have enough of a sample size to know how most of our players have progressed. In my eyes everyone of these guys are re-signed and only with the exception of Catanzaro I think they get 3+ year deals.

So who do you think of these guys on "prove it" deals proved it and should be resigned. Also, what kind of deals do you expect them to get? Thinking ahead to 2018 it would be nice to extrapolate these contracts and see what our cap situation could look like.

Two things I would like to mention that are directly related to this topic
    :
    1) When you look at these players and how they have played it is very hard not to acknowledge the foresight of Mac and what a great job he has done. I know he gets a lot of heat but it's week 5 and we're 3-2. With a secondary that looks like it's one Burris maturation away from being really good, and that secondary is made up of 2 rookies, a 2nd year guy, and a 2016 FA pickup. All Mac acquired players. We also have a 25yo viable option at TE that looks like he's on the verge of a breakout, a center that has played amazing consider the shoes he has had to fill, and a kicker that that can hit a FG over 45 yards (R.I.P Folk).

2) Did anyone notice anything about this week 5 game against the Browns that stood out?
    Was it me or did the defense seem a bit lethargic and not creating any push? Then I noticed what was missing, Ealy. Kony Ealy's lack of presence was felt, and it showed up on the field throughout the whole game. This guy has been a standout since preseason and hasn't let up. If I had one request it would be that he would try to trim down the fat and get lean, therefore getting a step quicker. If he could do this we may have found our pass rusher we've been looking for...

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd love to be proven wrong, but IMO our 3-2 record is a mirage. Our point differential is -14, which means we should be 2-3 just based on that. Also our opponents' combined record in non-Jets games is 8-11, so our schedule has been easier than average. Finally many of the Jets, including those on your list and McCown, are playing way better than they usually play; even if just McCown reverts to his typical self we're screwed. My point is I don't think this team is as talented as you're making it out to be, and by the end of the season we won't be as interested in re-signing the players on the list.

#2 HomeoftheJets, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

clairborne was never a question about talent, more durability, so can't say, 5 games in if he is getting a new deal.
    the rest look like they should stay, not going to try to figure out the money though.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

as of now, i'd bring them all back.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No to Wesley Johnson. We need a replacement ASAP. Myles Garrett first 3rd down of the game, raped Johnson.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. FJF

Thought that was on carpenter, i'll get back to you

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Wesley Johnson yes, but not as a center.
    ASJ - yes because it is a tremendous feat to overcome personal demons, to devote yourself to improving on the field is also great and its paid off. i expect him to get better as the season progresses. The key here is whether Leggett also amounts to anything. It will make ASJ that much better.
    Catanzaro - Meh....great kickoffs, kinda shaky with his FG's, I guess it depends on how he performs as the season goes on.
    Ealy - yes, but not to big money. It's a nice story that he's been cut twice and has shown out for the jets but its also early and I need to see more. I think Jets will likely cut Wilkerson so bringing Ealy back isn't far fatched

8. 101GangGreen101

Just my assessment ... It was 3 against 2 ... it was a blitz to the left side. Carpenter got beat as well, but Johnson did absolutely nothing to help out. Johnson should've hit Myles or did something to disrupt the timing.

Yes, unfortunately I know this because 4 of my arrogant Giant fans posted it on their facebook.

9. FJF

carp gets beat to the inside quickly, johnson, not sure what he is doing. i don't want to say he got beat,blew an assignment, thought he had to get a blitzer? mental error for sure. hard to say what the call was.
    garrett was fast off the line though. he is going to be a player. hope we have cap room when he wants to leave cleveland

10. 101GangGreen101

yeah Carp got beat easily, Johnson had to pick up one of those blitzers and instead he just stood there lost. He had an awful day and gave up pressures up the middle all day long. The running game suffers because of him as well, that was expected however cause Danny Shelton is a beast. WJ, he's a backup IMO.

Garrett is a monster, and I think at best yesterday he was 70% healthy. Def worthy of the first round pick, too bad Hue won't be there long to see him be great.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I agree that the record is more smoke and mirrors than it is a gauge of how good the team is currently, though I do think it's a very realistic glimpse into what this young team could become. The record is mentioned only to facilitate a basis for how well some of the individual players have performed and not just these guys. Like Ealy taking over the Jags game, or Catanzaro with the 57 yarder.

I don't think the team is collectively that great just to clear up your confusion. But I do think at least the players that I have mentioned are more real than they are not. Sure, I'll buy the McCown turning back into a pumpkin thing. It's very likely as we have a 15 year sample size that shows that's kinda who he is and this is arguably the best stretch of games in his career.
    As for the other guys (who are ages 25,25,26,26,&27) I feel pretty confident in what I have seen so far but I am holding out on full judgement for a few more games in. All of these guys have had prior success in one form or another and are young enough to where they could still be coming into their own.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

lets see the jv play a decent team before start sucking each others dicks

Peebag and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

The Cowboys thought Claiborne was trash, the Bucs thought ASJ was trash, the Cardinals thought Catanzaro was trash, and the Pats thought Ealy was trash. They're not dumb teams, and with the exception of the Bucs they're generally thought of as smart teams. Odds are no more than one or two of these guys are legit; the rest are likely flukes. Johnson wasn't from another team, but I'm not impressed with his play.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Still too early for this imo need to see how the season plays out.

Walt White likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Reminds me of 2015 with 2016 looming the rest of the way.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ASJ all the way..guy is reborn

Cantanzarro may also be reborn

Kony E yes a no brainer reborn

The rest ..meh

Hallelujah!!

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Maybe. I'd say trash is a little harsh. ASJ had alcohol issues that nearly cost him his career. He was a blue chip prospect coming out and is obviously a good player. He could self destruct tomorrow. But as of now he's doing well, and can play. If he keeps it up he gets at least another year. Same with Ealy pretty much. Dude had three sacks in the SB, was a good prospect coming out, and has played well. That's undeniable. I'm guessing he has not stuck because of his perceived attitude or demeanor. That I don't know. But we need to see it play out. Johnson has been shit on since last year here. He's steadily improved and when Powell and McGuire were busting out he was one of the reason's. He's small and he needs to keep getting better. Place kickers change teams steadily, so Catanzaro needs to show he can be consistent. Claiborne was injury prone and the Cowboys let him go. When he played he was good, and he's good now. He not trash, he's a good CB. The Cowboys are paying a lot of people, they can't pay everybody, and that's part of the equation, with all of these guys.
    But it's too soon to soon evaluate either way IMO, so why even bother. They'll have a lot of $ next year and a lot of choices from some good player.. Maybe even a QB.

DarrelleRevis.Human? likes this.
  18. FJF

Claiborne couldn't stay healthy,cowboys had to move on
    Cantazaro is a kicker, they go hot and cold all the time.
    Ealy is a weird case because the pats traded for him and cut him quickly, but we saw in the super bowl and now, he can play
    And ASJ had a drinking problem so the bucs cut bait in a likely pr move.
    Besides the kicker,all talented players cut for reasons beyond talent. Not a stretch to think they will pan out on the field.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

cowboys cut claiborne becuase they needed cap and he was often injured. he was never trash. he was always good jsut never finished a season without getting hurt. bucs cut ASJ because of suspensions and injuries. he was getting in trouble too much and wasn't even healthy enough to play. talent was always there though. it also helped that brate was playing great for them. they also drafted howard now too. kickers are fickle. we signed chandler from arizona, they signed folk from us. chandler has played great inclduing a booming 57 yarder last game. folk missed 2 FGs and an XP in the same game and barely made a chip shot game winner and then got cut after. the pats often cut or trade good players becuase bill is a dick. the pats gave up a 2nd rounder for him from carolina. ealy was a SB hero for the panthers and always played well

I'd say we got the better end of all of those except maybe the bucs since they still have brate and howard now and both look great

20. HomeoftheJets

Succeeding the NFL isn't just about talent, you need talent and the ability to put it to use. The Cowboys didn't cut Claiborne because he couldn't stay healthy, they cut him because they didn't think he could stay healthy in the future. The Cardinals didn't cut Catanzaro because he was inconsistent, they cut him because they thought he would continue to be inconsistent. Same concept with Ealy and ASJ. Not only that, but the other 30 teams in the NFL (minus them and us) also didn't think much of those four players; otherwise we'd never have gotten them so cheap. While it isn't a stretch to think that we struck gold on one or two of them, it's definitely a stretch to think all of them will continue to play as well as they have the first five games.